Author Topic: WZR-HP-G450H dbm and dbi settings  (Read 4075 times)

agustaf4

• Calf
WZR-HP-G450H dbm and dbi settings
« on: December 21, 2011, 06:05:19 PM »

Just got a wzr-hp-g450h and taking a look at the tx power and antenna gain settings. It has in there 20 for the tx and 0 for the antenna gain. Can somebody tell me which are the best numbers to put in here. Also mines is showing Firmware: DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (05/27/11) std  is this the latest ? when I go to the website I can't find this one to compare to other releases. thanks

Is there a way to block wireless access to the web management interface. Like the standard linksys routers which give you the option to allow only wired connections to the GUI. thanks

Aveyer

• Big Bull
Re: WZR-HP-G450H dbm and dbi settings
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 07:40:20 PM »

That isn't the latest firmware, update to DD-WRT 17798. Not sure what the max TX power is for the G450H but you can enter something like 30dbm and it will max and whatever is the max. G450H has 5dbi antennas so you can enter 5dbi in the antenna gain field.

douglasjboehme

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 01:44:51 PM »

Thanks!  Very helpful.  I have 2 of the G450H routers and was wondering the same thing.  I'll give it a shot and see what happens.  I've heard that raising that too high can caues extra heat in the router?  Is the firmware or router smart enough to prevent this by limiting the upper limit?  (perhaps the limit you mentioned)

On a similar note, there are 3 beautiful antennas on the top but the big question is how to point them?  My router is on the first floor and at one end of the house - I want the signal to go upstairs as well as across the first floor.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 05:54:35 PM »

Since these router use Atheros radios they will not go over the maximum transmit power, built into the hardware as far as I know.

If you want to cover a first and second floor it's probably best to to angle them as seen in most images of the router, first antenna at 45 degrees and middle straight up, third antenna -45 degrees etc.