Author Topic: APServ Remote Configuration: what is it?  (Read 10223 times)

BeefEater

• Calf
APServ Remote Configuration: what is it?
« on: December 19, 2011, 06:37:15 PM »

Everybody... The DD-WRT firmware build 17798 has this option:

Services -> Services -> APServ Remote Configuration

with two options, Enable and Disable. When the option is enabled, I can see three processes running under "ps":

/usr/sbin/ap_serv -i br0

Does anyone know what this is all about? I feel a bit uncomfortable not knowing what kind of "remote configuration" my router is exposed to. I have found nothing on this subject in the forums here. Googling did not help either.

Any guidance will be much appreciated!

mmahdi

• Calf
Re: APServ Remote Configuration: what is it?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 10:53:22 AM »

I have the same question.  Any luck finding the answer?

BeefEater

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 01:37:37 PM »

No, I still don't have a definitive answer.

However, after some googling for ap_serv and apserv, I have developed a suspicion that APServ is the router daemon that is responsible for communicating with the Windows router configuration utility. I have not bothered running the Windows configuration utility -- I am Linux-based -- but, if someone wants to try running Windows configuration utility and checking if it can communicate with the router while APServ is running or not running, that will probably produce an answer.

As for me, I have disabled APServ and so far -- after about 10 days -- have not experienced any problems with networking, remote access or else.

Kelly

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 10:48:08 PM »

apserv is listed as the "Buffalo Discovery Daemon".

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/browser/src/router/services/services/apserv.c

Looking at the binary file, it's some kind of daemon to allow first time configuration of the device, likely with wireless zero config or Buffalo proprietary software. The "Magic" that lets you configure it securely without ever connecting to the device over a wire.

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/browser/src/router/ap-serv?order=name

In reality, no idea, almost certainly safe to disable.