Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH DD-WRT 17798 Testing  (Read 10420 times)

slybunda

• Buffalo
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH DD-WRT 17798 Testing
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »

have to say that this new firmware is excellent compared to the old one. many numberous bug fixes, performance and most of all stability enhancements. it took them long enough but was worth it. how are others experience with this new firmware?

drstevedavies

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 06:14:32 PM »
Unfortunately those solutions didn't help me. I have now isolated the problem. When I select n- only it won't connect, it will with NG-mixed. Using WPA2 with AES will give a transfer rate over my network of 80Mbps, compared with 150Mbps using the basic firmware. Both have 300Mbps connection speeds.

I do wonder why this is the case. As my network card is able to get n-wireless speeds with the basic firmware I wonder whether there is an issue with the alpha. It was never an issue with these settings in the pro firmware on the cd shipped with the router.

I'll keep the alpha installed for a while to see if anyone has another suggestion ... But I fear it'll be back to the basic again.

Cheers for the advice

benskywalker

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 08:47:40 AM »

Hi,

Need advice. Really keen to try out the new build 17798 but how do i revert back to previous firmware if i dont like it? To revert back to previous firmware for both DD-WRT & Buffalo Friendly firmware the same method?

Thanks in advance.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 11:14:46 AM »

can revert back to user friendly firmware by just flashing it in the web upgrade of ddwrt.

xur17

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 12:35:48 PM »

slybunda wrote:

sounds more like a problem with your phone than with the router. if your phone comes out of standby and continues to work fine on the wifi, then its a phone problem not a router problem.

Possibly, but the fact of the matter is that I don't have this problem with any other wireless network, and only with this firmware version.  They definitely increased the power on this new version, but the fact of the matter is that it doesn't work with my phone.

I seriously considering selling this darn router, and buying a cisco e3000.  I've had nothing but issues when using the router with ddwrt (the stock firmware does appear to be decent, I'll give them that).

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 07:18:07 PM »

if this firmware is anything to go by id say that things will get better in the future. i dont use the wifi side of this router any more due to the issues with it in the past. i use the ubiquiti power ap n for wifi now.

woad

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 10:36:20 PM »

I have been completely unable to connect via wifi with my Moto Droid since I upgraded.  I also had issues conencting to my Comcast modem and putzed around for 2 hours before calling support.  Just as i get on the phone with support...it conencts.  Go figure...

derf

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 11:18:42 AM »

Seems that Scanlist does not work (I've tried 1,6,11 as a setting).  Even placing a single entry seems to fail.  Default is all that works.

Can anyone provide some advice on what the TX/RX Antenna Chains should be set at for optimal range/throughput

I'm also seeing the following under status

TX Power 13.5 dBm (EIRP av.) / 24.7 dBm (Peak)
slybunda you seem to have a far better #, how's your device configured?

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »

Setting both RX and TX to 1+2+3 seems to work best.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 04:09:38 PM »

i dotn use the wifi side of the router but im using it as a smart switch and dhcp server, working great so far. i have a different access point i use for wifi connected to the buffalo. however i may do some testing on the buffalo's wireless later this week if i get round to it.

seikialice88

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 12:43:39 AM »

peabody wrote:

I was able to connect with OpenVPN, but the server wasn't setting up routes for my clients any more, so while the OpenVPN connection was successful, checking whatismyip.com still didn't show my home ISP IP and I have been unable to ping anything on my home lan (including the router).

I'm using a TAP (bridged) setup with OpenVPN.  I found this post on the OpenVPN forums and I'm going to give it a shot when I get home:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=615438#615438

Such a very amazing link!

Watch Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows Online Free

hotfortech

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 03:23:27 PM »

The two problems I’ve noticed so far are:

1. The "ls" command behavior has changed. Executing "ls -lash" formats the results differently and it has lost its color coding.
  2. Free JFFS space is displayed incorrectly. Under administration -> management, JFFS doesn't show the free amount and on the Status page the amount of used space is displayed.

That's it so far, will update if anything else pops up.

AZCOP

• Calf
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 06:59:43 PM »

Speedy1205 wrote:

yeah well TX Power working. But I`m not able do get working a guest network. I can connect, I get an IP but no internet :-) anyway DNS is working :-( Any Ideas ?

Same problem here with my guest network

Network connection, but no Internet

Jay

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 06:07:53 AM »

done some wifi testing, altered the tx power setting to 15dbm, the stats page still shows 21dbm eirp avg. altering the tx power setting makes no difference to output power tested with 2 laptops and inssider. some deffo dodgey activity is going on here.

drstevedavies

• Calf
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 11:58:28 AM »

drstevedavies wrote:
Unfortunately those solutions didn't help me. I have now isolated the problem. When I select n- only it won't connect, it will with NG-mixed. Using WPA2 with AES will give a transfer rate over my network of 80Mbps, compared with 150Mbps using the basic firmware. Both have 300Mbps connection speeds.

I do wonder why this is the case. As my network card is able to get n-wireless speeds with the basic firmware I wonder whether there is an issue with the alpha. It was never an issue with these settings in the pro firmware on the cd shipped with the router.

I'll keep the alpha installed for a while to see if anyone has another suggestion ... But I fear it'll be back to the basic again.

Cheers for the advice

Following on from this problem I have found someone else with the same issue:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=653403 although on a different buffalo router.

So it seems that this is a legitimate bug.

The problem with the workaround  he suggests is that I am having to select n/g mixed, and this seems to ruin the whole point of  n-wireless (as stated above it significantly reduces the actual transfer rate)

I don't know why I have wasted literally hours of my life trying to get the "professional" firmware to work when the stock firmware just works.  Straight away.  No fiddling.  If only it looked nicer.