Author Topic: Why can't my iPods stay connected?  (Read 2122 times)

Ringfinger

• El Toro
Why can't my iPods stay connected?
« on: November 10, 2011, 08:34:48 AM »

I have the HP300 blah blah blah router.  Why is it my iPods wont stay connected to it?  The only way to reestablish connection is to hit apply settings or save on router settings screen and it does a soft reboot I guess.  Sometimes it will kick back in, sometimes it gives out in the middle of doing stuff.  My Apple TV always stays connected so it is not an IOS thing.

Anyone?  It is really frustrating!

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Why can't my iPods stay connected?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 11:58:11 AM »

Your Apple TV does not use iOS. iOS is only on the ipad, itouch, nano and the iphone. I experience the same issue on my iphone 4 sometimes. I have to disable my wireless on my phone and re enable it. We are aware of the issue and we are working on a resolution.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »

It is my i-phone and i-pods.  They basically lose the ability to access iTunes and the like.  They stay on wi-fi fine, but say if I need to do a wireless sync or if I want to stream music from iTunes to my iPod or iPhone, I have to do a save/apply on the router web access screen in order to resolve.  I have to do that quite often.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 01:08:40 PM »

And I hope the resolution comes soon!

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 04:13:22 PM »

That is something completely different... I'm assuming that you are running iOS5 becuase you are wirelessly syncing. I have never tried that and I cannot update my iphone 4. I'll see if we can test that out with another iOS5 device...

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 04:39:29 PM »

If the problem is that they don't stay connected (associated) while sleeping, you need to enable Push Notifications on iPod Touch for persistent wi-fi.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 04:55:52 PM »

It's not even associated, it is like the only way to reconnect to say iTunes or connect to the iTV via the remote app is to save/apply settings on the router as a "soft reboot" so to say.  the wi-fi is fine and stays associated and whatnot.

cgrebos

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 09:45:19 AM »

Ringfinger, I feel your pain. 

I've been fighting this for the last year with my WZR-HP-G300NH.

I've come to the conclusion that the router likes to drop bonjour  traffic  over wifi and the only way to get it going again is a restart.  I like the soft reboot idea, I usually just walk to the router and unplug it, plug it back in and curse for the duration of the lengthy startup.  Which page are you using for the save/apply? 

Here's my setup and situation. 

Hardwired to the router (through a Trendnet gigabit switch off of the router) I have a Mac Mini, a Windows 7 Nettop, a Canon Printer and an AppleTV 2. 

Using the wireless, I have a Macbook,  2 iPhones and 2 iPod Touches.

Bonjour services between the wired devices are always available. I can send Airplay from the Mini to the AppleTV, Print from the Mini to the network printer, so on so forth.

Wireless is another story.  Periodically the router flakes and none of the wireless devices see the bonjour services on the network. The iPhones and iPods can't send Airplay to the AppleTV, print via Airprint, sync wirelessly with the MIni. The Macbook can't see the AFP share on the Mini, can't screenshare, can't print to the Canon, etc.

The Macbook can still see and access the Samba shares on the nettop and the Mini, so it's not a wholesale issue of wireless devices not being able to access wired devices on the LAN.   

It's totally intermittent and terribly frustrating. It can work fine for weeks or require daily restarts.  I've fiddled with the multicast settings, reset the router to factory, set all the ip addresses manually, let DHCP assign ip addresses, cursed, begged and pleaded to no avail. 

I don't know how traffic is routed through switches, so it might be luck that my wired side works fine because it exists on a switch away from the Buffalo. If it would be of any help, I could plug some stuff directly into the router to see if anything on the wired side changes.

I sure would like to see it fixed because I'm too cheap to buy another wireless router and too hesitant to install DD-WRT (I don't want to trade one problem for the potential of another.)

cgrebos

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 09:11:57 AM »

I use the wireless settings for the save/apply.

This is really really annoying!!