Author Topic: 2 questions re new router  (Read 3313 times)

aka35

• Calf
2 questions re new router
« on: November 19, 2011, 01:28:16 AM »

Hi

I recently bought a new Buffalo router - BHR-4GRV *wired* - and have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone might be able to help me with.

First though, the above model is apparently only for Japanese customers. I bought it at a store in Japan and have found very little info about it advertised online in other countries. (I live in Japan and routers with English setup / instructions are not sold here as far as I know.) There was no listing for the BHR-4GRV on the www.buffalotech.com/ downloads page.

So my questions are:

1. Does anybody know of a Buffalo wired router sold in the US which might be similar to the BHR-4GRV? If so I could download the English version manuel. I've already connected the BHR-4GRV and am able to get access to the internet but the Buffalo Setup page that appears onscreen is a bit daunting to go through in Japanese. A similar English version that I could compare would be helpful.

2. The main reason I bought this (NAT) router is for security and I would like to use it as a firewall. I did a ShieldsUp test and all the ports except 113 show as being in stealth mode. Port 113 is closed. As with my old router I would prefer to have all ports closed rather than stealthed. I guess this could be done on the Setup page but I'm not sure how to do it or what section to start at. If anyone has any tips or recommendations on how to go about this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Computer: Macbook Pro [Intel]
Network: ADSL, Ethernet (only one computer connected)

The following is the only info I've been able to find on the BHR-4GRV [wireless] in English.

news.softpedia.com/news/Buffalo-Plays-Its-Hand-in-the-Wireless-Network-Field-211442.shtml

ton

• Calf
Re: 2 questions re new router
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 06:36:57 PM »

if you use your router set-up utility and go to the security/firewall tab you will see a check box that says "IDENT". uncheck the box and Port 113 will be stealthed.