Author Topic: WLI-TX4-G54HP Emits Massive VHF Radio Frequency Interference (RFI)  (Read 1346 times)

km6xu

• Calf

I have a WLI-TX4-G54HP, and it has been great.  Unfortunately, it emits a massive amount of Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) across a wide swath of both low-band VHF and hi-band VHF frequencies.  I am sure that these emissions are far in excess of FCC Part 15 limits, unsquelching hand-held radios that are on the other side of the room.

The interference occurs at all times that the G54HP is powered up, even when the network is 'quiet.'  I got rid of the little antenna that came with the unit, and attached it to a yagi via the appropriate adapters and about two meters of RG213-like cable that has a 100 percent shield (foil under the braid).  I soon found that the interference isn't coming from the antenna, it is coming from the G54HP itself.  I wound a turn of the power supply cable around a choke, but that didn't seem to make any difference.  Proper Ethernet cables are used (four twisted pair); there are no flat (1x8) cables here.

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

Thanks -- Mark (km6xu)

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: WLI-TX4-G54HP Emits Massive VHF Radio Frequency Interference (RFI)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 12:05:13 PM »

It sounds like it has some kind of fault. I've never had this issue with one of these units.