Author Topic: Best Firmware for Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH is here  (Read 49672 times)

Muddrum

• Calf
Re: Best Firmware for Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH is here
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2012, 02:27:13 PM »

Hello again Everyone,

I'am now using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/20/12) std - build 19519, for my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH here is the link: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F2012%2F07-20-12-r19519%2Fbuffalo_wzr-hp-g300nh/

I will continue to use BrainSlayer DD-WRT firmware over Buffalo Firmware.

Take Care

Let me know how or if this firmware works for you?

Later Muddrum

borischan

• Calf
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2012, 07:01:57 AM »

Suddenly a 19484 dd-wrt firmware appeared on Buffalo download page

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2012, 10:16:27 AM »

release log:

* v24SP2-MULTI (07/15/12) std - build 19484

[New feature]

- Supports USB drives larger than 2 TB.

- Adds btrfs and xfsprogs support.

- Adds btrfs and ext4 support.

- QoS is now supported for openvpn tunnels.

- Inactive wireless devices are cleared from the list in the GUI.

- Site survey shows frequency.

- New QoS Mechanism.

- New high performance Ethernet driver.

- Switch to ATH9k based wireless driver

- Kernel upgrade to version 3.2.

[Bug Fixes]

- Fixed issue with dropped packets during broadcasting.

- Disable promiscous mode on bridge, boosting performance.

- Optimised wireless performance.

- Fixed wireless beacon.

- Added upstream and downstream shaping for PPPoE server with RADIUS.

- Increase bridging performance.

- Speed up boot times by fixing the b-only mod.

- For PPPoE, the LCP interval has

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

borischan

• Calf
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2012, 10:22:55 AM »

Thank you davo for the simple breakdown of the update. I'll get my translator and work it out :)

When will it hit all regions,,,,,,?

ultrawires

• Calf
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2012, 04:50:05 AM »

v24SP2-MULTI (07/15/12) std - build 19484

Anyone using this?

Any chance the tx power can be increased?

Thanks.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2012, 08:52:38 AM »

Just flashed 19484 for the wzr-hp-g300nh this morning - about 2 hrs ago, and from what i see, txpower adjusting does nothing to increase or decrease the txpower -  it always stays @ TX Power 24.0 dBm (EIRP av.) / 29.3 dBm (Peak) in the status - no matter what you change to it, which according to inSSIDer isn't correct values, its not transmitting at 24 average or 29dBm. Not that the signal is bad or anything, but when you change the txpower value to something reasonable (17 thru 21dBm is reasonable for a consumer router), it should adjust accordingly.

Couple of other issues i am seeing as well, WPS is still included in these firmware releases (its not in community dd-wrt builds), WPS is insecure and very hackable, and simply turning it off in the firmware doesn't stop the hack according to some websites i have read on this subject.

Also, using a client mode + vap setup (Atheros repeater) the virtual interface is still reporting incorrect channel values within the webgui. The dmesg log still ends with the following errors:

<6>[ 1170.080000] br0: port 3(ath0.1) entered forwarding state
<6>[ 1170.080000] br0: port 3(ath0.1) entered forwarding state
<6>[ 1170.720000] br0: port 3(ath0.1) entered disabled state

Then ath0 tries to associate with the host AP, this is where the channel value for the VAP gets buggered, upon ath0's association with the host AP, it looses what channel it should be reporting for the virtual interface.

Atleast this build has a functional VAP, with the community 19519 dd-wrt build, any VAP setups appear to be non-functional, and this seem to be affecting not only client mode + vap configs, but WDS configs as well. This is affecting multiple Atheros units (tested on G300NH and AG300H) - if not all atheros units using dd-wrt. Bug ticket has already been filed to the community dd-wrt trac svn, but it would appear this is a low priority matter - and according to one of the devs, most likely will not get fixed this year. Time to roll back to 18024, atleast for me, most everything in it works minus the vap reporting incorrect channel values within the webgui. meh!

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2012, 05:23:53 PM »

for WPS to be successfully hacked someone needs to physically press the WPS button on the router to make the association.

so if your saying its been hacked then the method used is: someone breaks into your house and presses the button to do the pairing.

not a very sophisticated hack if u ask me.

also i was told by tech support that development and support for the v1 router had been end of lined.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2012, 06:11:46 PM »

Like most times slybunda, you haven't a clue what you are talking about... good thing nobody asked you, they wouldn't be getting correct info. As i stated, WPS can be hacked even if it is turned off within the firmware, meaning you don't have to push any button or use it at all, you can even have it off and it still be hackable.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/01/hands-on-hacking-wifi-protected-setup-with-reaver/

Also, on the subject of the G300NH being end of line - if its end of line, why did a new dd-wrt build just get released on Aug 3, 2012 for this unit? You have claimed to have spoken with buffalo support before about matters regarding this unit, and each and every time you seem to make a claim, it doesn't come to life. Buffalo's user friendly firmware for this unit may be end of line, but dd-wrt is not - obviously. No offense, but you really need to get your facts straight on certain matters before you post infos, because thus far, the infos you post have been consistantly incorrect everytime.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2012, 08:19:29 PM »

well buddee if you read into the cake posted by random blogs made by cluless people then you will just be as stupid as you look.

back on topic, new firmware is proper fast for navigation through the gui.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2012, 08:37:33 PM »

this is within topic, i am reporting what i see in the beta build i am testing. why you can't answer end of life questions i pose for you speaks for itself, like usual. also why you seemed fit to pipe in with your 'opinion' on whether WPS is secure or not - nobody will ever know, we have already acknowledged that it is not secure in the dd-wrt community, as its not supported in the community builds...

whether you want to accept that WPS is insecure is up to you, but as usual,  with as clueless on matters as you are - you always provide me with a good laugh, thanks for that. LOL

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »

i do believe wps is insecure, however if you turn it off, PROPERLY, not like with those cisco/linksys crappy router which say its off but its actually still on. then you do have a secure setup. need to make sure you dont use crappy router to begin with.

and always remember nothing is totally secure, even wpa2 can be cracked given enough time and skill.

so buddee what you fail to understand is that with wps properly disabled, it doesnt present a security risk.... if its disabled properly.

back on topic: anyone else notice a massive speed increase with the web gui on this new build? im not getting any failed to load gui pages or slow loading of the gui pages. its instant and proper fast for me.

buffuser

• Calf
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2012, 11:05:31 PM »

in response to buddee and the reaver link.

in researching this I also discovered the following site: http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/723755 .  I did notice and disabled "External Registrar" which was deafulted to enabled.  Thanks for the link, sorry for the hijack

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2012, 06:00:55 AM »

What you fail to understand is that there is no solution found, it can be hacked regardless of if you turn it 'off' or not, disabling the external registar doesn't prevent this attack, security experts know this, so does the US-CERT site, but they still give you advice to turn off the external registar so as to not cause a big security panic, which as i said,  turning off the external registar does nothing - their solution to the problem is "We are currently unaware of a practical solution to this problem." and rightly so, because there is no solution if WPS is already in the firmware, the known solution is not to have WPS in the firmware to begin with, that is the solution, but its not 'practical'.

So slybunda, at first its they need to go into your house and push the WPS button (which was utterly wrong to  begin with), now its that you have to properly disable it? Like i said, you don't know what you are talking about...

famaus

• Calf
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2012, 11:28:41 AM »

Hi, 

I have been using DD-WRT build # 18024 and recently tried upgrading to more recent builds but I keep getting connectivity problems between devices that are connected directly to the router via wire. If I switch my laptop from wired to wireless then I can access other resource, however on cable I can't. I have a cable going from my WZR-HP-G300NH to a switch and the devices on it seem to work fine. It's just the wired devices connected directly to the WZR-HP-G300NH don't seem to see each other on network. 

I tried resetting using the 30/30/30 and NVRAM via telnet methods but these didn't help me either. I also cleared my browser cache after resetting and this didn't help either.

Can other WZR-HP-G300NH owners please share some pointers on how you made the recent builds work? 

Thanks!

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »

I used the IP's for my machines to find them within windows networking (and linux as well), another thing you may try is assigning static DHCP's to the machines in question, this will atleast make them show up in dd-wrt's DHCP pool which helps some with being able to see them via LAN as well.