Author Topic: Add on high gain antennas....  (Read 4303 times)

Coolmeadow

• Calf
Add on high gain antennas....
« on: November 06, 2011, 09:30:50 AM »

are they worth the effort?  Is there a brand that works best with the Buffalo WHR-HP-G300M? I like the look of the Buffalo add on antenna, but it's almost as much as I paid for the unit.  I'm getting 2 bars on my HP 4530s laptop in my detached shop.  I will try moving the unit to another room when I get a replacement battery for my APC backup unit to see if that helps.  If I could get to 3 bars, or possibly 4 I'd be happy. 

I guess a side question is I understand that the transmit power can be adjusted in the WW-DRT software.  I need to look into that.  TIA!!!  Jim.

buddee

• Big Bull
Re: Add on high gain antennas....
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 04:59:33 PM »

Better antennas are always the first path to a better signal, so to answer you simply, yes they are worth it. I am not sure which ones you are looking into getting (you never do tell that info) but i use some cheap 7dBi antennas that i purchased off ebay for very cheap and they work well for me.

Coolmeadow

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 05:45:25 PM »

buddee, it would need to be cheap.  I've looked at a Buffalo piece that runs about 35 bucks on the internet, and I just can't see spending that much more right now.  But will a 3-6 dollar antenna really be any better than the stock antennas?  And I can't find in the lilterature what antenna connection style is on this WHR-HP-G300N, do you know?  I see lots of antennas on Amazon that fit D-Link products, but haven't seen any that say they fit Buffalo.  Thanks for the response.  At least I now think I'm heading in the right direction.  Jim.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 06:23:33 PM »

For that model you will need RP-SMA type, which is the end connector. I use D-Link ANT24-0700?, which i purchased off ebay for $10. The actual kit for the D-Link ANT24-0700? comes with a base connector, which i did not purchase and is probably why mine was much cheaper (i only got the antenna itself).

Coolmeadow

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 08:15:41 PM »

Ok, I've been shopping and I'm as confused as ever.  I've looked at these three items on Amazon: 

1)  http://www.amazon.com/Booster-Antenna-Linksys-WMP54GS-WRT54GC/dp/B000SEN9U6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1NU0Q3TWI1LYO&colid=126IHL28HU5E2?

2)  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SEQGT2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3V6BK4D0HKA8F?

3)  http://www.amazon.com/antenna-Netgear-Buffalo-Routers-Adapters/dp/B005DCP280/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics?

Only the last one says it works with 802.11n.  Am I on the right track?  The 20 bucks is the upper limit of what I'm willing to spend.  Will I also need to up the power on the Buffalo unit when I put these on?  I understand, or at least I think I do ;-) , that this is possible in the Buffalo WW-DRT firmware that comes on the WHR-HP-G300N.  Please correct me if I'm off base here.  Thanks for your help so far!!  Jim.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 09:08:31 PM »

Yes, right track. Also it doesn't matter about if it says for N or not, so long as they work in the 2.4Ghz spectrum (B/G/N for this unit all do). As far as dd-wrt goes, thats up to you, i can tell you though, its not going to give you any added power adjustment.

Coolmeadow

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 09:11:50 PM »

Thanks!  I'll go ahead and order the 9.99 ones.  I need a cheap set of headphones for the laptop anyway for when I'm in the hospital at the end of the month, and I can get some Panasonic ones and get the free shipping on all of it.  Thanks again for your time and help!!!!  Jim.

eggyolkio

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 11:11:26 PM »

is there an add-on antenna for the wzr-hp-ag300h as well?  trying to improve wireless range

km6xu

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 04:28:32 AM »

I am very happy with a $30 15dBi yagi:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1800?

Of course, you will need a good piece of coax, the connectors on each end, and the appropriate adapter to get you to the SMA on the unit.

Jenn

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 09:20:11 PM »

If I may butt in here.... perhaps you can also shed some light on a problem I am having?

I have WHR-HP 54g, and some omnidirectional SMC 10db high gain antennas.

I have several buildings that I am trying to get a stronger signal to, but hooking up the antenna and then measuring the signal (using standard windows tool and also wifi tools on Blackberry) doesn't seem to produce any extra transmit strength, in fact less in one case.

Do you have any comments you might add that could help me?

Cables I have tested are of varying length, one is 40 ft but I also tried one that is less than 3 feet, and I was testing outside in direct line of site.  Got about 50 feet from the unit and got less signal than an identical unirt further away!

Coolmeadow

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 07:25:05 PM »

I got my antennas in today....can't see any improvement.  Signal strength seems the exact same using the strength meter on my HP 4530s laptop.  So seems like it's a wasted 20 bucks.  My next thing to try is to move the modem/router/wifi AP to another room that is in the middle of the house.  Will want to wait for a replacement battery for the APC power backup system before I do that.  Any other ideas??  Jim.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 05:22:51 PM »

And i can only guess that you didn't upgrade your wireless adapters either?

Coolmeadow

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 07:54:25 PM »

Sorry, very novice here...what are the wireless adaptors?  Jim.

edit:  Ok, search shows this to be the piece at the laptop...no I'm using the built in piece in my HP 4530s laptop.  Yes, I understand that something with an external antenna there would be better. So say, something like this? 

edit2:  guess it would have been good to put the link in for "this" (shaking head in humility)  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180079