Author Topic: WBMR-G54 Wireless but no lan  (Read 5358 times)

TheChaos0

• Calf
WBMR-G54 Wireless but no lan
« on: December 22, 2009, 11:27:48 AM »

Been using this for a while. Then out of the blue LAN stopped working properly. I would not be able to connect to the router control panel from wired PC and packet loss on the connection becomes close to 100%. Usually before I could restart/reset the router and the problem would go away. Now LAN would work fine for first 5 min and then would do the above. (I tried all the ethernet ports and coupla of of different cables)

Wireless works fine (for now) and now my only way to get internet out of the router. Anyone had anything similar happen to them? It kinda strange, if something broke inside of it I would have expected everything to stop working.

Thanks in advance.

grisly

• Calf
Re: WBMR-G54 Wireless but no lan
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 12:27:12 PM »

Yes, exactly the same thing happened here, just before Christmas.

All 4 ethernet ports now very unreliable, lots of packet loss apparently.

At random, on any port, I am unable to even get a ping response from

the router, and the admin web interface gives "internal timeout" errors.

The WIFI connections work just fine, using DHCP as normal. Weird.

Right now, things seem modestly better. I know the clients are clean,

but otherwise I would think the router is getting a DDOS attack from

somewhere, or my ISP went bad, but the WIFI connections stay fine.

fabio

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 03:22:25 PM »

I'm having the very same issue.

Not sure when it happened because I was away for Christmas, but definitely the same week as you guys - very weird that all routers failed at about the same time...

Has anyone tried a factory reset? I would do that, but I'm afraid I would lose access to the router completely...

Also, if anyone found any other information regarding this, please could you post a link?

Cheers and Happy New Year...

Fabio

fabio

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 07:01:44 AM »

Just a quick update - I have tried a factory reset, but nothing changed, i.e. LAN's still out...

BTW the router is initially reset to no encryption, so wireless can be used straight away even with no LAN.

I have also notified the Buffalo support team of this thread and they aim to provide a reply within 48 hours.

Fabio

nkw

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 06:20:05 PM »

I also have what appears to be the same problem: having used this router for 2.5 years, a couple of months ago all wired LAN ports have become essentially unusable, packet loss close to 100% when I try to ping 192.168.11.1 from a windows PC attached to one of the LAN ports, while the same PC can ping 127.0.0.1 and also 192.168.11.3 (as assigned to the PC by the router DHCP).  I tried exchanging the cable, using a different PC, but the problem persists, while wireless access still works as well as ever.  If the answer is that the hardware is out of warranty and we're seeing component failure after ~2years on one part of the board it would be good to know.

nkw

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 06:42:24 PM »

Further to previous post, Firmware Version :  V3.00B01T01.20060721

fabio

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 08:05:47 AM »

I've got a reply from Support, they say:

This link refers to the USA forum, hardware/software is different for each region.
This is not a known issue at our support even tough some similar issues was reported on few of that unit, usually old ones and out of warranty. Replacement would be provided if the unit is still under guarantee.
This unit currently has one firmware, no future firmware is plan.

It seems to me that it is acceptable for Buffalo to sell products that last only a couple of years...

Well, that's not acceptable to me so goodbye and good luck to Buffalo. I will never buy their products again...

Fabio

nkw

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 10:18:08 AM »

Thanks for posting this information, pretty much as expected.  The UK technical support phone contact said the same to me just now, they have had similar problems in the past and more often the wired ports are the ones that fail.  Time to buy another router (probably not from Buffalo).

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 06:51:04 AM »

Do the link lights on the back of the unit stay on steady?  What kind of computer is hardwired a desktop or a laptop?

repairman50

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 04:47:34 PM »

Hi just a note on this, I did a temporary fix on mine by setting the link speed on the PC's lan card 10mb, was on auto, and it has been working fine for a couple of weeks, I did try setting to 100mb but still eratic on getting an IP, and when it did very eractic connection, IE pinging google 70% failure rate

daveymcc

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 10:11:48 AM »

Another one where LAN has died but wireless working fine.

I have an older iMac attached to it and assumed the eternet on iMac had died, but now have laptop attached and there is nothing on router LAN ports at all.

Anyone found a cure as yet?

Thanks

Dave

imstewart

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 08:03:47 AM »

I had to go to a friends home how had the same problem, changing the network speed to 10 half duplex seems to have fixed the problem..

repairman50

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 07:14:31 AM »

Hi Further to this thread, I have discovered this is yet another device suffering from rogue capictors, changed out all 4 25v 1000uf caps and all working fine now.