Author Topic: Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H TX Power  (Read 25811 times)

Sergius14

• Calf
Re: Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H TX Power
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 08:46:36 PM »

This router is so disappointing.

Not only is not High Power, in fact, is LOW Power.

Expect to have very low coverage at home (barelly covers a 2 root apt with mobiles/tables, and you may have blackouts), no matter the channel you choose, the dbi, gain.... etc. etc. it is limited and you can't do anything about it. And that's the fact.

The thee bulky 5 dbi antennas are just decorative.

There is no reason to buy this router at all. DD-WRT? There are many other options that runs the free edition, with internal antennas and TWICE coverage.

Buffalo MUST do something about this. They sell and advertise this product as High Power, and it is a lie (at least until their fix this).

drdemento

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 03:02:23 AM »

Yes a real bummer,

additionally i bought it here in europe and cant even see the USA or Canada settings. Even the router i had before got higher power than this dead-beat combination of alpha-firmware and "high-power" router model. You could try the 1.86 firmware from buffalo, got me little bit better reception than dd-wrt. But not many options inside this firmware. Seems to have a bug in port forwarding additionally.

drjp81

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 08:16:35 AM »

1.86? Where?

drdemento

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 03:34:46 PM »
Upps 1.85 iam sorry.

SecureNetworX

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 09:30:15 AM »

Guys, frustrating indeed.

I see references being made to a DD-WRT build 17789. All we could find is the 17140 which was on the CD. Nowhere is there any firmware posted on the product download pages (http://www.buffalo-asia.com/cgi-bin/support/download.cgi?country=hk&to=wzr_hp_g450h). 

We have the 17789 running on an WZR-HP-G300NH2, but didn't see anywhere options for the WZR-HP-G450H. At least not in Asia...

Any pointer would be helpful.

Thx

Sergius14

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 06:12:14 PM »

It was available just at the download page (not anymore).

Seems that has been removed.

SecureNetworX

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 01:18:15 AM »

Sergius,

Could you sent me the .bin flash file via Dropbox?

Thx

neostrider69

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 01:45:56 AM »

Here ya go....

I've done all the digging and searching for everyone...

http://www.buffalotech.com/support/getfile/wzrhpg450h-pro-v24sp2-17798-alpha.zip

USE AT OWN RISK. REPORTED TROUBLED FIRMWARE.

REOALEXKING

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 02:44:07 PM »

Using the above posted link, I get: "The page you are looking for was not found. You may have used an outdated link or may have typed the address (URL) incorrectly."

I do note that I have seen indicated TX power on my device as high as 26.5dbm.  I am using a couple of these devices between buildings, about 500 ft, no problem.

REOALEXKING

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 02:54:28 PM »

At the Buffalo download page for the WZR-HP-G450H (otherwise called the N450), you will presently find a DD-WRT firmware posted: v24sp2-18795  That's what I am using on my several devices, no problems.

REOALEXKING

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 03:47:08 PM »

On the subject of setting TX power on Buffalo Broadcom-based products, anyone interested should check out this DD-WRT Forum link: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486  and part-2 of the article at http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39529

Of particular note is this quote from part one:

"Do not raise your TX value if you are having signal quality issues. First of all, TX isn't working in many routers.
Second you should fix signal issues with better antennas not power. Many routers do much better with LOWER TX

values, around 40-50 especially those with the crappy internal antennas (linksys ashtrays). Buffalo HP units should not be
higher than 30."

I leave mine set to 20 and let the firmware dynamically adjust power output.

osocoloso

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »

These "high power" routers are a joke.  They are indeed low-powered when running DD-WRT.  Compared to the Amped Wireless routers, they're an embarrasment.  Too bad those don't run DD-WRT.  Heck, even my old linksys puts out a better signal than the "high power" Buffalo.

Their tech support is awful - their customer rep baiscally told me to return the unit and buy a competitor's better product.  I should have returned mine when I had the chance.  Instead, I opted to give Buffalo a chance, wait for a firmware update, etc...  Now I have a $100 ugly-looking doorstop. But, hey, at least it's a conversation starter - visitors come in and go "how nice IS THAT LEANING AGAINST YOUR DOOR?!?!"

Can't wait for the class-action lawsut that they deserve for adverstising these products as "high power DD-WRT routers".

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 10:55:55 AM »

osocoloso, anything else you would like to complain about? If you have / have had a faulty router then stfu and return it. Enough bullshít about class action lawsuits, one minute your moaning about DDWRT and then next its about something else!

I've had faulty routers in the past, some Buffalo and guess what???? I returned them and got another Buffalo router that works well.

If you want to complain some more, may i sugest the following URL: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=no+one+cares+about+what+you+have+to+say!

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

REOALEXKING

• Calf
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 06:27:12 PM »

This is for all the nay-sayers who do not bother to get their facts straight.  See the below screen shot of my Buffalo WRZ-HP-G450H (also called an N450), and in particular, the area circled in red. I have several Buffalo devices, and in the beginning had to occasionally deal with Customer Service, where I was treated with respect with assistance that did not end until I felt that I was satisfied.  As with any such device, an occasional dud crops up, but that certainly is in the minority.  I have used and at hand such devices bearing brand names from all over the world, and can state without hesitation that my Buffalo devices outperform most others - both transmit and receive. The obvious closed minds I see posting rants and raves  in this forum deserve no further comment.

Shoot, I couldn't find an obvious method to add my JPG screen shot here. I will email it to any interested party that provides me with a direct email address and you can clearly see for yourself the TX power ranging from 25.5 to 29.3 dbm.

mattetti

• Calf
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 03:22:14 AM »

It's funny how easy it is to say that others don't get their facts straight but yet not prove anything either. 

We certainly all have a different experiences, we have slightly different setups and I won't make any generalities but here are "my" facts.

I purchased a WZR-HP-G450H because of its "high power" and 3 antennas as well as its firmware.I was hoping for better coverage, better performance (transfer speed). The result was that the WIFI coverage was worse than when using the AT&T uverse modem/router. I lost signal in my bedroom and other parts of the house.

I upgraded after having used a Belkin dir-825 for a little while (the belkin has a much better coverage but the firmware is limited and I had it crash/lock on a regular basis).

I ended up boxing the G450H and bought the Airport Extreme.

Since then, not a single problem, great coverage, great speed and I just have to worry about anything. The software for the router isn't that great, but it gets the work done and last time I was as pelased by a router was when I got my first Linksys.

If you think the G450H is such a great device, I'd be glad to sell mine which I plan on never using anymore (unfortunatelly I waited too long to realize I just needed to get rid of it, and I can't send it back to Amazon).

- Matt