Author Topic: Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H TX Power  (Read 25813 times)

yaktwok

• Calf
Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H TX Power
« on: September 22, 2011, 12:32:31 AM »

Does anyone know why the Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H TX Power is capped at 15dBm? I've tried setting the TX Power in the web GUI to anything higher than 15 but it refuses to increase. When I SSH into the router and run "iwconfig ath0 txpower 20" (or anything greater than 15dBm) i get the error:

SET failed on device ath0 ; Invalid argument.?

The strange thing is that when I type in "iwlist ath0 txpower" i get:

ath0      unknown transmit-power information.
          Current Tx-Power=15 dBm  (31 mW)?

It's usually supposed to list the available powers that can be set.

I have a feeling this is another one of those TX Power debacles again just like the WZR-HP-G300NH and WHR-HP-G300N. Why can't Buffalo & DD-WRT get their tx power settings right?!?! It's unfortunate that the TX power on this device is capped since it's got great RX capabilities and the 3x3 antennas make it so promising!

iceonu

• Calf
Re: Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H TX Power
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 09:57:17 AM »

Same issue here.  Only reason I purchased this router was for it's "advertised" high power output.   With DD-WRT it is the worst performing router I have had, and that is alot.  As soon as I am more than 10ft away the signal is below -60!.  My neighbors signals are far higher than this router.   I know it must be firmware related as the user friendly firmware seems much better.   If DD-WRT is not going to solve this with an update,  can Buffalo at least add WDS to their firmware?

Every chance I get I am giving this router 'Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H' bad reviews on all the shopping sites and review sites.  

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:17:11 PM »

Update to DD-WRT 17798, and ignore the displayed output power and test the actual signal you're receiving.

douglasjboehme

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 01:51:58 PM »

If you're having problems, have you tried contacting Buffalo first (after updating your firmware)?  If you haven't, it is not fair to slander them on other sites without giving them the chance to address your questions.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »

From what I've seen, everyone is being paying too much attention to the reported output power rather than looking at the actual range. People report better range after updating to dd-wrt 17798 even though the output power never changed, it was only "reported" higher than previous firmwares, unless the different wireless driver has helped in other ways. Same story as the WZR-HP-G300NH, supposedly stock firmware had much better range than DD-WRT, I tested it myself and it was the opposite even with 14998 firmware.

mattetti

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 07:45:05 PM »

I'm sorry but I think you are wrong. I updated to the dd-wrt 17798, erased the nvram, rebooted the device and tried a lot of things to get a better coverage. Unfortunately, the transmission power doest seemed capped. If you choose the 40 MHz channel width as shown below, the tx power is actually capped at 10dBm.

$ telnet 192.168.11.1
Trying 192.168.11.1...
Connected to dd-wrt.
Escape character is '^]'.

DD-WRT v24-sp2 std (c) 2011 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 10/31/11 (SVN revision: 17798)

DD-WRT login: root
Password:
==========================================================

____ ___ __ ______ _____ ____ _ _
| _ \| _ \ \ \ / / _ \_ _| __ _|___ \| || |
|| | || ||____\ \ /\ / /| |_) || | \ \ / / __) | || |_
||_| ||_||_____\ V V / | _ < | | \ V / / __/|__ _|
|___/|___/ \_/\_/ |_| \_\|_| \_/ |_____| |_|

DD-WRT v24-sp2
http://www.dd-wrt.com

==========================================================

BusyBox v1.19.2 (2011-10-31 16:56:36 CET) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

root@DD-WRT:~# iwconfig ath0
ath0 IEEE 802.11bgn Mode:Master Frequency:2.417 GHz Tx-Power=10 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off

Switching the channel width to 20MHz boosts the TX-Power value to 14 dBm.

Based on your comments, I triple checked the rates, signal strength and SNR for a few clients located in various place in my house and I can assure you that the signal is weak whatever settings I use. Trying to set the tx power manually isn't taken or gives an error depending on the value:

root@DD-WRT:~# iwconfig ath0 txpower 15
root@DD-WRT:~# iwconfig ath0
ath0 IEEE 802.11bgn Mode:Master Frequency:2.417 GHz Tx-Power=10 dBm
Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off

root@DD-WRT:~# iwconfig ath0 txpower 16
Error for wireless request "Set Tx Power" (8B26) :
SET failed on device ath0 ; Invalid argument.

With such a weak signal, boosting the antennas doesn't make a big difference.

I will contact support tomorrow, but I really regret having bought this device, especially considering that it's called the AirStation™ HighPower N450 Gigabit Wireless Router - WZR-HP-G450H.

- Matt

mattetti

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 10:14:42 PM »

Just a quick update to let you know that the tech support hasn't been useful, they asked me if I was running the device at 40MHz and that's it.

(They didn't even read this thread which was indicated in my email and which clearly shows that my device is setup at 40MHz)

I'm afraid I'm stuck with this device and I will have to use the AT&T modem/router which has a better coverage than this Buffalo device :(

- Matt

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »

What kind of "High Power" was everyone expecting?

mattetti

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »

23 dBm200 mWEIRP for IEEE 802.11n Wireless LAN 40Mhz-wide (5mW per MHz) channels in 5Ghz subband 4 (5735-5835 MHz, US only) or 5Ghz subband 2 (5470-5725 MHz, EU only). Also applies to 20Mhz-wide (10mW per MHz) IEEE 802.11a Wireless LAN in 5Ghz Subband 1 (5180-5320 MHz) if also IEEE 802.11h compliant (otherwise only 3mW/MHz=>60mW when unable to dynamically adjust transmission power, and only 1.5mW/MHz=>30mW when a transmitter also cannot dynamically select frequency).

So I expected to be close to the 23dBm limit set by the FCC. Seeing 10dBm tx power and an EIRP of 15.5 dBm is very disappointing.

If we put asides the numbers, I expected the device to be at least as powerful as the cheap modem/router provided by AT&T and provide better coverage in my house. Turns out, it's not the case and that is yet another disappointment.

Let's add to that the fact that the tech support was useless, didn't pay attention to the email I sent them and never got back to me after the first reply. This is more than likely the last Buffalo product I purchase.

drjp81

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 07:40:56 AM »

Though I cannot answer the existential question as to "why" it is so, but I can confirm that the stock dd-wrt firmware offers better power and range than the alpha build they now have for download.

In essence, by making sure the wireless settings have the maximum power tx values ( I put in 20) , get the band at 40 mhz, 5 dbi antennae gain, CTS-RTS on, I get the best results. These are very comparable to the "user friendly" version. Both user friendly versions give very similar range results as well. So, all in all, I would say the alpha version is to be avoided.

Other things: I only use wpa2, AES encryption and am in a mixed NG  mode.

@50 feet and flooded in a 2.4 Ghz device rich environment I get a whopping 85 mbps average download rate and -49 RSSI signal.

Hope this helps someone.

mattetti

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 11:36:29 AM »

Thanks a lot @drjp81 for the feedback, when you say the "stock dd-wrt firmware", do you mean another one than the one provided by Buffalo? Or the non alpha version provided on the Buffalo web site?

Thanks

drjp81

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 06:02:15 AM »

That would be the non-alpha version/17140 (or somehting llike that) but, to be sure, it's the one on the CD, so one could downloda the cd image. I know I should have noted the revision number, but I've been going back and forth between versions like crazy trying to make sense of the changes.

Over on the dd-wrt forums there are similar complaints about the power restrictions in the latest firmware. Since the alpha is still a work in progress I'd tend to avoid it completely, just because of the "use at your own risk" clause". If a revision is meant to "fix" problems, you don't publish it with a disclaimer like that. You can publish it as a jumping board for enthusiasts, but not relying on it to get it to work properly.

After further testing, I'm still having QOS issues with the dd-wrt firmware using VOIP applications. However the User friendly image has 0 performance issues. Just not as many features. VPN plays good with windows and printer support seems a bit flakey.

mattetti

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 01:43:16 PM »

You are absolutely right, thanks a lot!

I flashed my device with the origina ddwrt firmware and the tx power is capped at 15dBm and not 10dBm wich means that the coverage in my house is now really much better. I finally get stable wifi reception in my upstairs rooms.

I would still not recommend this device, but at least by following your advise, I can somewhat use it.

agustaf4

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 08:17:10 PM »
I have to say that I purchased this router with the intention of getting better coverage. My e1200 cisco for $49.99 has a stronger range than this one. This is with the stock firmware that came with it , with the alpha one from 12/5 is 20 times worst. This is where the modo of size does not matter really kick in, those 3 antennas are useless.

drjp81

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 09:46:45 PM »

Keep in mind that you should be setting an extra 5dbi (per antennae), so it should actually work out to very close to 30 (15+(5+5+5)) if I understand the propellerheads a DD-WRT forums. That is how I have it set and it is still not as powerful as the "user friendly" firmware, but only by a few (­5~8) RSSI