Author Topic: Missing Router settings (tabbed otherwise blank screen)  (Read 3105 times)

Silvabod

• Calf
Missing Router settings (tabbed otherwise blank screen)
« on: September 20, 2011, 04:21:27 PM »

Just bought a replacement Buffalo WCR-GN cable wireless router, have got it up and running (wired) to a W7 pc.

Used the ClientV utility to get my wife's W7 wireless laptop connected, that works fine.too.

Trying to get my daughter's XPMedia pc wirelessly connected, I can "see" the network but can't connect..  The XP client utility doesn't work, and trying to connect manually, it won't accept my password?(s)

I'm a novice in network set-up.  The setup process generated a whole raft of alphanumeric numbers which I kept a note of (plus one 13 character user-defined one) but my efforts were in vain as none of them work, I should mention that wireless access worked fine on this pc on the previous router.

The real problem - I can't get at the router settings to verify.  Typing the address into the browser gives a multi-tabbed screen, but NO DATA - completely blank.  Clicking on the tabs merely gives the "help" screen associated with it down the right-hand side, and the "help" assumes there iare datafields/categories to work with.

How does one get at the settinga to edit them? Can't find anything in the 100 page users guide to help as it assumes access to settings! So far - 8 hours trying - frustrating.

buddee

• Big Bull
Re: Missing Router settings (tabbed otherwise blank screen)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 05:58:06 AM »

Sounds like you need to clear your browser cache and refresh.

Silvabod

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 07:15:25 AM »

Sorry but clearing the cache didn't do it.

There's something very wrong, Have printed off the 111 page manual, which shows pictures of what the Airstation settings screens should look like - a series of tabbed windows with data sections,. each has a "help" or "info" section on the right.  BUT - the only window which is populated with data is the initial SETUP window.  Clicking every other tab results in the "help" changing, but no data (not even empty data fields) but the manual shows what SHOULD be in it.

As said - I'm a novice at wireless networks,  Last time I set one up, on XP, it was a simple matter of loading the network data on a flash key and installing it on the pc. I'm totally confused - don't know what's wrong, need basic help/guidance step by step.

dulybookmarked

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:16:28 AM »

Same problem here. Cleared cache, tried different browsers. No dice.

Silvabod

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 04:57:03 AM »

UPDATE - BUT STILL NO SOLUTION.  I'M NOT ALONE (see above) - IT'S BUFFALO SOFTWARE THAT'S THE PROBLEM.  HELP!! please

The XP pc works wirelessly with the "old" (unbranded) router network and ADDON ADDGWU180 802.11g LAN adapter. (It can also "see" the new Buffalo network - just won't get past the "access" log-in, won't accept the password I key in from my manual notes)

The new network set up with the Buffalo router works on my W7 pc with wired access (and wirelessly on my wife's W7 laptop)

SO - I disconnected cable access and tried connecting my W7 pc wirelessly, using the ADDON dongle.  W7 "found new hardware", loaded a driver and promptly crashed (BSOD) so clearly the ADDON dongle isn't W7 compatible.  Bought a new one (Belkin 150N, both 801.11b and g) - the W7 pc connected to the Buffalo network wirelessly with no problem.

Back to the old XP pc - new dongle, same problem.  Can see the network, falls down at "authentication".  So - it's not hardware - the problem is I can't get data from the configuartion interface. My pc is totally virus-free, (double checked via external virus check) been defragged.  The missing interface data is therefore a BUFFAL software issue not pc related (since contributor "dulybookmarked" has identical the issue - see one-liner above).  NOT a good advert for Buffalo gear!

To be crystal clear - typing in 192.168.11.1 (Manual, page 23, "accessing the interface") produces the exact screen shown on page 24 (with data) - but that's all.  Pages 32 onwards list the data fields/types which SHOULD appear on the various tabs.  BUT - clicking on these tabs results in "transferring data from 192.168.11.1" flashing intermittently (bottom left screen) but no data appearing.  AND - as instructed, my firewall is OFF (not a security state I want to continue)..

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 11:11:18 AM »

Have you tried a different browser or tried accessing the web page from a different pc?

Silvabod

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 11:32:09 AM »

Contributor "dulybookmarked" above said he'd done that, same result, so I hadn't tried myself.

For the record - I'm using Firefox (fully updated) - elected not to load IE as it's a prime target for hackers and malware.

Just loaded Google Chrome - YES !!  The screens now show as they should - thank you !!

This solves Buffalo Technology helpdesk case reference number: [Case ID #: 138742]  to which I've had no reply other than acknowledgement.?