Author Topic: WZR-HP-AG300H Pro firmware still in alpha?  (Read 14540 times)

Senorpablo

• Calf
WZR-HP-AG300H Pro firmware still in alpha?
« on: September 19, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »

Those of you who have experience with Buffalo products, when might we expect release(non-alpha) firmware for the WZR-HP-AG300G? It's been just over three months now, and no update. It's seems odd for a company to devote so few rescources to a newly released product.

I purchased two of these units and I've read about the various issues with non-optimal, under spec performance. Therefore, I'm waiting for a proper firmware release before I invest the time to install these units into my network.

I've never purchaseed a Buffalo product, and I must say I'm quite dissapointed so far with the prodcut quality and lack of support.

markbodman

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-AG300H Pro firmware still in alpha?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 09:10:50 PM »

I'm seeing problems too, consistent wireless dropout and sometimes the router needs a hard reset to get it working again.  Looking for the buggy dropouts to get fixed guys.   I'm a loyal Buffalo fan, just deliver stability in a firmware upgrade and I'm a raving fan again!

kargo27

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:25:43 AM »

I'm with you guys.  I tried a refurbished WHR-G300N I picked up for $17 online and was so impressed with it that I bought my WZR-HP-AG300H.

It's running OK, but it's like something is holding it back.  I'm not experiencing any loss of connection or anything like that, but it seems like it's not realizing it's potential......like my lazy teen daughter.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 02:50:14 PM »

I will go ahead and look in to it and see if I can possibly get a time frame.

onix

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 06:31:23 PM »

Jotin,

What's the word on the latest FW coming out of alpha?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 08:16:45 AM »

I cannot give you an actual date because I have not been given one. All I have been told is that they are definitely working to release a new firmware. I will post back once I have been given more info.

Senorpablo

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 11:26:53 PM »

This router is in need of a firmware update. After workingn fine for weeks, I had to do a hard reset and reconfigure to get it to serve the internet.

Not at all impressed with Buffalo prodcuts. I regret my purchase.

KingJL

• Tatanka
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 09:41:04 AM »

Senorpablo wrote: ... I regret my purchase

I believe that a lot of us are in that boat!

uggla

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 11:27:32 AM »

KingJL wrote:

+1

I'm having a WHR-HP-G300N.

mrvoidman

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »

KingJL wrote:

Yes, this is a big boat. I heard good things from by friend about Buffalo. I am very disapointed with my device. It doesn't seem to match any of the specs. Certain features are basically broken and require the apha firmware to work. How is this acceptable or even legal? Are we only relying on open source to save us or is this company going to work on this firmware?

I bought the WZR-HP-AG300H ?to replace my Dlink DIR-655 because I was unhappy with its range. The AG300H doesn't even do half the range of my 655! The 5Ghz part of the AG300H doesn't make it past two rooms. The signal quality level is always poor. 

The latest firmware 17201? seems to stop the connection drops but mac cloning still doesn't work after a reboot. Sorry for being so frustrated but I've spent hours an hours on this router. I feel stupid for not returning it.

kargo27

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 02:06:56 PM »

I can understand your frustration.  I think we know that the hardware is excellent but the firmware (like in every router) needs some fine tuning or more and that's why we're holding on.

I don't regret my purchase yet because I keep other routers as backups but like you guys, I am looking forward to the new firmware build.

Buffalo is probably wanting to make sure every "i" is dotted and every "t" is crossed before releasing a firmware version of which they're not confident.  I can understand that but it doesn't take the frustration away of having to do reboots and hard resets/reconfigures.

For me, page loading when browsing isn't as fast as it should be.  I have a refurbished Linksys e4200 that's setting the bar for all my other routers.  What "other routers" you ask?  I search the closeouts and refurbs for deals, and get them for under $20 shipped.  I'll configure them, see if I like them and then sell them.  Yes, I know, I have no life.  But at least it keeps me out of the bars.  :P  I didn't get the e4200 for under $20 but I got it at about half the cost it lists for.  But my Buffalo WHR-G300N is such a great router, it sold me on Buffalo products and is why I bought the WZR-HP-AG300H.

mrvoidman

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 12:32:38 PM »

kargo27 wrote:

....I think we know that the hardware is excellent but the firmware (like in every router) needs some fine tuning or more and that's why we're holding on.

Buffalo is probably wanting to make sure every "i" is dotted and every "t" is crossed before releasing a firmware version of which they're not confident...

In my business we couldn't possibly release a product to thousands of customers with major features broken much less fine tuning issues.

Do we have any evidence ?that Buffalo is acually involved in making an offical version? I don't see any i's being doted in the alpha releases. If we're waiting for the Atheros drivers to be fixed by the open source coommunity then we could be waiting a very long time. I have a feeling we're all on our own here. I just filed a ticket for the mac address cloning bug. I'll see if there is a ticket for the power issue as well. I suggest everyone makes sure their bugs exist and file them if not! I don't know if anyone at this forum or at Buffalo does this for us. That's if your intersted in waiting.

Search and enter bugs here: http://svn.dd-wrt.com/?

Senorpablo

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 07:26:54 PM »

FOUR months and counting with aplha software and no new release....

Mrvoidman has it exactly correct--software is to be completed and tested BEFORE products ship. It's part of development process, not support. Companies abuse the ease with which patches can be applied nowadays.

My routers haven't worked well from day 1.

mrvoidman

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 04:12:05 PM »

I Just realized there's another bug. The DDNS feature (Dynamic domain name system) is broken. I have to register my website's IP manually. Another feature not working!

I seriously think this company is in over there head. It's time newegg and amazon start getting appropriate? reviews.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 06:37:23 PM »

The DDNS bug has already been addressed in the SVN and is now working properly.