Author Topic: WZR-HP-AG300H Pro firmware still in alpha?  (Read 14542 times)

buddee

• Big Bull
Re: WZR-HP-AG300H Pro firmware still in alpha?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 06:02:06 AM »

Don't get me wrong, your help is appreciated. But let me ask this, do you have problems with this router?

humkar

• Calf
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 09:10:16 AM »

I think everyone knows there are issues with the Buffalo Pro build!! When I spoke to the support technician, he advised me to use the user friendly version. I haven't tried it but does anyone have any issues they have experienced with this?

I was disappointed by the fact that I can't OpenVPN due to the DDNS not working on the Pro build. Which was a big selling point for me!! Now the only fact is any information we provide each other seems to point out issues we are experiencing. I could not find any change logs or documention for version updates, which makes it very difficult to find answers to issues. So let us hope Buffalo saying "an update is scheduled to be released soon" does mean this side of the New Year. Hey you never know it could be the XMAS magic working overtime if they do. LOL

panik

• Calf
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 12:11:38 PM »

buddee wrote:

Don't get me wrong, your help is appreciated. But let me ask this, do you have problems with this router?

I have not had issues with this router, but I also have been in an IT proffession for the last 10 years, have messed with DD-WRT since it was fairly new, and build some mid size network which relied on the firmware.

Pretty solid router, but I must say, if you want a one touch make things work, you might want to use a different router or at least use the user friendly firmware.  If you really want to unleash the potential of a router and are willing to put some time/effort to getting things work, there are plenty of community work arounds and instructions at the DD-WRT forums (which I see you often posting and have Guru status).  

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 04:07:54 PM »

The WZR-HP-AG300H with DDWRT firmware is (in my opinion) an excellant router. But you have to realize that as the above poster stated, if you want a one touch device, then it is not for you! It is a professional firmware designed to be tinkered with to meet your solutions.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 08:04:15 PM »

Most excellent, thats what i like to see. :)

Senorpablo

• Calf
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 03:25:42 PM »

I disagree. The router and/or the software is flakey.

I have two of these routers setup as a client-bridge and I have to reset one or both of them about once per week because they stop functioning.

Additionaly, this router is marketted as "Hi Power" and it certainly is not. This Buffalo underperforms my 7+ year old Linksys in terms of signal strength.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 09:03:08 PM »

I get the feeling that people imagine the range/output power being low strictly from looking at the output power on the Wireless Status page.

jpapadami

• Calf
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2011, 10:55:53 AM »

There's a new firmware out, version 17798 release on Dec 5, 2011, but it's still an alpha build. I would give it a try but I am on the community DD-WRT and waiting for Brainslayer to come out with one based on this version.

Anybody want to give it a try? Maybe the low tx power issue has finally been fixed?

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 07:14:56 AM »

new community build is out now, 17967, try it out if your having issues.

Elizabeth1979

• Calf
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 08:29:04 AM »

Well i guess a lot us here have experience some issues that are somehow frustrate us at the same time having a regret on the other side, hope Buffalo will provide us a firmware that will resolve our issues.

AndreaFJ

• Calf
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 07:20:41 PM »

Is there any update information about this unit?

Senorpablo

• Calf
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 09:38:10 PM »

After nothing but headaches with my TWO WZR-HP-AG300H's, I purchased a router and bridge from D-Link and couldn't be happier. 

The D-Link products are well thought out, fast, and built excelently. The UI is responsive and robust. It's immediately obvious using both products that D-Link has been building wireless products for years, while Buffalo has little experience.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2012, 08:36:43 PM »

That's your opinion, which i do not agree with. To me d-link is very touchy routers, they don't revise their hardware to versions, they use some kind of lettering system that makes it a quagmire to flash any 3rd party firmware to and most people know this, and considering buffalo is the first to even have a demo unit for 802.11ac gigabit wireless, i'd say they have a big leap ahead of their competition.

Senorpablo

• Calf
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »

Having a demo unit is marketing hype--just like the WZR-HP-AG300GH. You can make all the claims and fulfill all the marketing bullet points you like, if the product doesn't work it's all pointless. The WZR's box was filled with bold claims: high power, etc, etc.  None of those claims rang true in my expereince, or in the testing at smallnetbuilder.com. While the ability to run DD-WRT was appealing to me at first, at this point I believe it's a hinderance and part of the problem. They development of DD-WRT may be as flawed as Buffalo wireless products themselves. DD-WRT looks great and has tons of features on the surface, but I'm not convinced it actually works very well underneath all the flash.

D-Link makes a wide range of consumer and proffessional networking products. I disagree with your claim that they do not identify hardware revisions. Both the units I purchased were identified as such both on the units sticker, as well as on the title page of each page in the UI. I had no issue locating and applying firmware updates. One of the particularly nice things about the D-Links is that they have their default IP and login info printed on the sticker of each product. You can also access the web UI by typing something like http://dlinkap. That's a great and thoughful feature with years of experience behind it. For my Buffalo's, I had to dig up an obscure, add-on piece of paper which came in the box to get the default IP. The D-link's were very quick and easy to setup, and have "just worked" since.

I had TWO of the same Buffalo wireless units, and they were both heavily flawed in the same ways.

o I had to reboot them both on a regular basis

o WAN connection was unstable

o at one point, they both became completely currupted recquiring complete reflash and setup

o the 2.4 wireless radio turned off consistantly and had to be restarted

o the UI was slow and inconsistant

o the cases are cheap and toy like

o software support non-existant--there's been one update in almost a year, and it broke about as much as it fixed.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2012, 05:22:29 PM »

I didn't say they don't revise their hardware, i said they don't revise their hardware to a versioning system, they use a lettering system to revise with - like a dir 615 comes in a C1, C2, D1, D2, D3 etc.

You make it sound as if i said they don't revise their hard AT ALL, which i didn't say. Also you shouldn't blame your shortcomings with not knowing how to config dd-wrt, you sound more like a user that needs an easy config in order to work with, and perhaps d-link fits that bill for you, but to continue to troll on something of this nature is kinda pointless, especially when it was a choice you made, nobody made you buy what you bought, you did it. You could have just got your d-link products and use them and be happy, but no, you needed to come back to troll about a descision you made. Shame on you.