Author Topic: DD-WRT for WZR-HP-G450H is Missing  (Read 4123 times)

crammed

• Calf
DD-WRT for WZR-HP-G450H is Missing
« on: February 02, 2012, 06:05:23 AM »

It looks like the DD-WRT firmware is no longer listed on the support downloads page for the WZR-HP-G450H.

I wonder why this would be the case.  Was there a problem with the latest firmware (build 17798)?  Is there an updated firmware on the way?

I haven't been 100% happy with the performance of this router.  It frequently drops the internet connection.  I have been checking Buffalo's support website frequently to see if there is a new firmware that may solve my problem.  So, I hope that the missing firmware means that a new one is on the way.

crammed

• Calf
Re: DD-WRT for WZR-HP-G450H is Missing
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 06:55:27 AM »

Almost a week now without any DD-WRT firmware on the support page and no explanation.  Buffalo, this is not acceptable service.  DD-WRT is one of the reasons people buy your routers.  If you aren't going to support it, and if you are going to remove a version from your website without replacing it with a new one, why bother offering it in the first place?

crammed

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:39:40 PM »

Customer service has confirmed that there was a bug in the 17798 DD-WRT firmware and that they will post a new version once it is available.  No ETA was provided.  They suggested that I use the DD-WRT version on the installation CD, or revert to the user-friendly firmware.

neostrider69

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 01:45:42 AM »

Yeah I noticed that they have the inital release of the 1.75 firmware posted but when they pulled the mythical dd-wrt 17798 they totally pulled the entire dd-wrt line... the initial 17140 isn't even listed, guess it's a policy to pull the bad firmwares... good thing that it's on the CD and that my CD/DVD drive still works.

crammed

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 07:37:54 AM »

I don't have any problem with them pulling bad firmware from the site.  However, they should be notifying users that may already be using the bad firmware.  Also, I would question why they are putting bad firmware on the site in the first place.

DD-WRT was one of the main reasons that I went with a Buffalo router in the first place.  So, to have customer service tell me that I should switch to the user friendly firmware isn't acceptable.

ljw1004

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 04:27:33 PM »

I just gave this product a 1-star review on Amazon, because of it's rubbish firmware.

* The device shipped with an earlier build of DD-WRT, but the wifi in that was flaky and would lose connections too frequently.

* I upgraded to the most recent "user-friendly" firmware. Again, flakey wifi, and it doesn't support loopback.

* And there's no newer build of DD-WRT for me to go back to.

Buffalo, I'm very unhappy with your firmware. Unless these troubles go away within the next few months, this will be my last buffalo.

neostrider69

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 11:37:16 PM »

You're preaching to the choir there... I'm not too happy about the situation either. I went with Buffalo because of the DD-WRT support... I suppose that was a mistake and I should have done a ton more research on the situation. Oh well too late. At least I still have my secondary router that isn't fried... a WRT54G 1st generation, funny it works great. However... I've done all the digging and searching for everyone since obviously Tech isn't gonna help us...

http://www.buffalotech.com/support/getfile/wzrhpg450h-pro-v24sp2-17798-alpha.zip

USE AT OWN RISK. REPORTED TROUBLED FIRMWARE.

crammed

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 09:15:02 AM »

I actually have a copy of the firmware.  So, I don't need the download.  However, I will repeat your caution and add that the firmware probably shouldn't be used.  We have seen how unresponsive Buffalo can be to their customers.  So, if they actually acted upon something and pulled links to a firmware from their site, there must have been a pretty big problem.

drjp81

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 10:02:12 AM »

New firmware posted on main page, check it out. It works great!

crammed

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 10:08:43 AM »

Thanks for the tip.  I am downloading it, but I am not going to instal it right away.  The user-friendly firmware (1.85) is working better for me than DD-WRT ever did.  I would love to be using DD-WRT, but I use my internet connection for work and can't afford to mess around with it right now.  I'll want to wait a little while to see if there are bugs to be worked out.

Yogi76

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 10:50:32 PM »

ljw1004 wrote:

* I upgraded to the most recent "user-friendly" firmware. Again, flakey wifi, and it doesn't support loopback.

Worth noting is that the version of DD-WRT that is being used doesn't do loopback correctly either. I had to use a fix found at the following link to get loopback to work properly.

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/ticket/1868