Author Topic: Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H: cannot change TX Power = poor wireless range  (Read 7750 times)

Jor3lBR

• Calf

Hi,

I have this new router and despite changing values on TX Power (wireless advanced settings menu) it shows that is stuck on 15dbm on the status menu... I tried everything to enhance the wireless signal and despite that it barely has signal strength to transmit to my Repeater (59%) from the bedroom to the livingroom...

Any chance of fixing this or we are domed with a poor wireless signal range on these routers?

Thanks.

Firmware info: DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (05/27/11) std
(SVN revision 17140)
?

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H: cannot change TX Power = poor wireless range
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 03:50:06 PM »

Is it wall mount or near anything else that transmits wireless? The antennas are on the unit correct? Have you tried the friendly version of firmware? What are your wireless settings set to?

yaktwok

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 04:46:22 AM »

I have the same issue with the WZR-HP-G450H. It appears that the output power using the DD-WRT software is limited to 15 dBm. I've tried to figure out why this is the case but it seems like there is a driver limit to the power output (see my other post: http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Wireless/Buffalo-WZR-HP-G450H-TX-Power/td-p/79997?).

I've done tests comparing the WZR-HP-G450H, WZR-HP-G300NH and WHR-HP-G300N running the latest DD-WRT firmwares. This was what I observed:

- Both the G300NH and G300N give a max power output of 21 dBm vs the 15 dBm for the G450H. I checked the FCC filing for the G450H and saw that the max power output should be 25dBm (+5dBi from antenna to make 30dBm).

- From about 50 ft from the router, there are the signal strengths:

G300NH: -51 dB

G300N: -55 dB

G450H: -59 dB

I performed these tests as controlled as I could. I turned off all other wireless transmitters nearby. They all sat on the same table. The G450H seems to perform the worst and it only gets worse with more distance.

- Just checking the Link speeds between my laptop (Macbook Pro 2009) and the router, I found that from the same distance, the TX and RX Rates were:

G300NH: TX - 100-130 Mbps, RX- 100-120 Mbps

G300N: TX - 100-130 Mbps, RX- 100-120 Mbps

G450H: TX - 65-75 Mbps, RX- 100-150 Mbps

It seems like the G450 has great RX rates (probably due to the 3x 5dBi antenna's and whatever RX amplifier is built-in). However, the TX rates are horrendous for this range. This is maybe OK for basic internet (real-world speeds around 3-4 Mbps for a 20 Mbps connection), but is unacceptable for heavy streaming or VoIP. This is supposed to be a "High Power" router.

I've read that the 'user friendly' version potentially fixes this problem and increases the range, but I honestly don't know why Buffalo chose to cripple the Pro DD-WRT version. I think there needs to be some better communication between you guys and DD-WRT. I'm also trying to use client mode and that is unavailable in the user friendly version. I'll have to see if I can hold up until new firmware comes out.

Cipolo

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 02:06:54 PM »

Jotin,

I guess I didn't do my homework before buying this router.  I am having the same issue with the preinstalled DD-WRT firmware.  I installed the friendly version, but it doesn't offer an option for changing the transmit levels.

Can you give us a little feedback on this issue?  It says in your signature that you have one of these units.  What have you found?

Thanks!

Michael

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:46:13 AM »

I do ineed have one of these units and I havnt needed to change the power output. From what I'm told the power output is set to max when the firmware is applied. I live in a brick appartment and all the way through the house and 100-150 feet into the back yard I can still get online. I am running the DDWRT that came with the disk. I have had zero issues with the router and I'm pretty happy with it.

yaktwok

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 04:10:02 PM »

From what I understand, the standard DD-WRT firmware limits the power output to 15dBm per antenna chain. This adds up to ~20dBm. Add the antenna gain and thats about 24dBm or 250mW. (30dBm or 1000mW is the FCC limit).

If you look at the FCC filings of this device, it's max output per antenna is 20-21dBm which adds to 24-25dBm. Add the Antenna gain and you're getting 29dBm which is what most expect out of a high power router. It seems like the default DD-WRT firmware is not allowing users to get max power output. 

mattc

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 04:31:40 AM »

After good reviews in PC Pro and Expert Reviews I'm seriously looking at getting one of these routers.. I'm happy putting on the 'user friendly' firmware, but just want to confirm with you guys that it improves the TX power & you're getting good range + speeds once that's been flashed on instead of the DD-WRT firmware.

markdenne

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »

I also find evidence of a power problem and poor wireless range while running the factory-installed DD-WRT firmware: Test conditions: 150 feet clear-air 40MHz wide (dual channel) 5GHz unencrypted WDS connection:

1. Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H WDS master to Dlink DIR-825 WDS slave. Slave says: Signal -113dB, Speed 13Mbps.
2. Cisco E2000 WDS master to Dlink DIR-825 WDS slave. Slave says: Signal -101dB, Speed 40Mbps.

DD-WRT status+performance screen shots available.

mattc

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 03:00:17 PM »

So if you move to the other firmware, does it solve that problem?

markdenne

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 04:32:11 PM »

I loaded the alternative firmware but it doesn't seem to have WDS functionality. Does the alternative firmware do WDS?

mattc

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 06:47:48 AM »

Quote from Buffalo tech support;

"User Friendly firmware does have WDS for most of our units, but not the newest routers."

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Wireless/DD-WRT-vs-User-Friendly/td-p/76773

That's a bit odd really, and they don't say whether it'll be added later, or whether all new routers past a certain date will never have WDS.

This comparison table must relate to the 'old' routers;

http://buffalo-sg.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12763/~/the-differences-between-professional-firmware-and-user-friendly-firmware.

drjp81

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 07:25:32 AM »

I can confirm tht on the latest "user friendly" version of the firmware, the WDS is present as is AOSS. I've tried every combination of firmwares. The original dd-wrt seems the best compromise for range and features. However the latest user friendly firmware has the best definite range.

drjp81

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 10:10:24 AM »

New firmware posted, solves most issues. Works great for me.

mattc

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »

Too late for my purchasing decision.. I went for the ASUS RT56u and haven't been disappointed with it. Getting some really good wifi coverage in my house with it & the speed is great!