Author Topic: Using USB-connected external drive w/ Pro Duo to feed PS3  (Read 2417 times)

skifast1

• Calf
Using USB-connected external drive w/ Pro Duo to feed PS3
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:31:47 AM »

Hi all - I've just completed successful setup of my LinkStation Pro Duo as a media server to feed my PS3.  The LinkStation is configured with mirrored drives, and while music files stream cleanly, MP4 video files come through very choppy.  The ProDuo firmware is v3.09 and I'm running a gigabit hard-wired network, so I'm left suspecting that the mirrored drives are the culprit (i.e. slow data access times).  In fact, prior to the firmware upgrade, even accessing a directory on the Pro Duo was very slow.  This has improved with the upgrade, but not tremendously so.

My question is: if I attach a USB external drive to the LinkStation and make it available to the LinkStation's Media Server, should I expect faster throughput?  My next best alternative is to build up a dedicated Windows Home Server box, but that's a little overkill feature-wise, especially when I already have the LinkStation acting as a DLNA server.

Thanks!