Author Topic: Best firmware for the WZRG300NH!  (Read 11472 times)

slybunda

• Buffalo
Re: Best firmware for the WZRG300NH!
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »

im willing to try again but i need better instructions. i do have a virtual machine running ubuntu. would that work for the job? i also have bootable cd/dvd of slax and ubuntu so i could use those directly on the laptop. would be good if you could provide more assistance on this.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 05:00:56 PM »

tried slax and even ubuntu live cds but none of them even have tftp packages installed. pointless at doing all this. will wait for buffalo to release updates for this router.

openwrt may be good for some users but if they cant fix it so that it installs without so many issues then its a waste of time and effort for the majority.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 06:53:08 PM »

TFTP is all about timing, on the WZR-HP-G300NH after adding the arp entry, setting a static IP of like 192.168.11.2, and then have a command prompt open with the TFTP command line waiting on the computer, you need to unplug the router, plug back in, count to 10 (the tftp server on the router doesn't listen as soon as other router's do), then initialize TFTP. Has worked everytime for me with OpenWRT, buffalo DD-WRT, community DD-WRT, gargoyle etc. with no fail.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 06:28:20 AM »

which os did you use to try this with?

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 06:57:29 AM »

buddee's instructions worked, its transfered the image across. transfer successful: 2,752,544 bytes in 2 seconds

although now all im getting is a constant flashing red light? is it bricked?

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 07:01:13 AM »

now the red light is on solid, and not blinked or turned off.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 07:14:10 AM »

ok tftp'd over gargoyle, thats worked i can loginto the web gui, this tftp process is getting easier the more i do it, trick is to see the lan port on my switch light up when the buffalo is powered on, then wait 4 seconds and press enter on the tftp command.

worked 4 times for me now.

dunno why openwrt ended up in a bricked state

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 07:53:03 AM »

ok so far testing out gargoyle, doing data transfer of a 4.5gb video file over the wifi, router crashed after pulling 4 gigs of data. considerably better than dd-wrt but not much better than stock firmware. will test some more.

still dont understand why openwrt ended up in a bricked state.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 10:33:17 AM »

ok used the lates backfire build of openwrt 10.03.1 RC5.

very good interface and a ton of features and excellent feedback on all options. graphs are very good.

802.11n is unstable still. get lots of wifi dropouts.

802.11g is fairing better but will have to test it more.

i dont think there is any N router out there that can be used for rock solid streaming without it crashing or locking up,.

bcmalloy

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »

I tried The openwrt and Gargoyle firmware with my new  WZRG300NH? but mine has A2 on the back wich I think is an updated model.

I used tftp with this app (seemed to work more reliably) http://kin.klever.net/pumpkin?  in windows 7 and the router would just sit thier unable to be accessed until I tftped the normal friendly firmware back to it. Each time I gave the router 10 min for the firmware to install but it does not work.

So These firmwares, The latest gargoyle build "gargoyle_1.3.12-ar71xx-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-tftp.bin"? and openwrt  "openwrt-ar71xx-wzr-hp-g300nh-jffs2-tftp.bin" DO NOT work with this new model according to my testing.

I hope this saves you wasting your time as I see no mention of this anywhere, that said the latest friendly firmware tftped onto router works great

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 03:52:16 AM »

the version of gargoyle you mentioned is not the latest. so if you made a mistake on that then im sure you messed up elseware too.

you say the latest friendly firmware works great then why bother with other firmware? for me stock friendly firmware is unreliable for streaming since router crashes and ends up rebooting.

bcmalloy

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 04:14:08 AM »

your right I actually used gargoyle_1.3.16-ar71xx-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-tftp?, I grabbed that from the version I was going to use before I grabbed the newer version

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 07:03:58 AM »

You are going to have to ignore that user, slybunda has trolled around the dd-wrt forum and this forum for some good while, I can also point you to posts that are filled with lies from this person about how they talk exclusively with buffalo techs in the UK, which is utter garbage, and i also highly doubt that slybunda ever got openwrt or gargoyle successfully flashed, which is something else that has been going on for more than a year as well. Should it continue, believe me a PM to a moderator for banning this user is in the works.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2011, 10:38:21 AM »

While we don't always agree with everyone's opinion, we will let them ride, but flaming on people in the forums, especially ones that have tried and successfully done, and abide by forum rules isn't tolerated.

Slybunda and Buddee are always helping people here and we appreciate them.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2011, 06:25:44 PM »

here is proof that i have run both dd-wrt and openwrt on my router.

openwrt which is currently running

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/openwrt.png/

and ddwrt which i have tried before.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/225/ddwrt1o.png/

dont accuse me of lying. i can provide any proof that is needed to show that what i say is true.

also im sure dd-wrt will be sorted out for this router. once its working great i will probably purchase the new wzr-ag300n for use on dd-wrt.