Author Topic: Best firmware for the WZRG300NH!  (Read 11471 times)

nareshseep

• Calf
Best firmware for the WZRG300NH!
« on: June 16, 2011, 02:37:01 AM »

Good day guys,

I know everyone is looking for the best firmware for the WZRG300NH and so far I have found ddwrt 14998 to be very stable.

I did not expect much when I installed Gargoyle yesterday which is based on Openwrt  ButI  must say that the wireless performance has greatly increased, even routing has increased since there is reduced latency eg. when I click on a link the page just opens without any lagging like what happens to ddwrt. If you are technically oriented you can install openwrt and configure it to suit, and there are a lot of apps for openwrt.

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1212?

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/?

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wzr-hp-g300h?

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download.php?

Steps taken to install gargoyle if running ddwrt

1. Connect via terminal to router , I used putty

2. Go to directory \tmp, achieved by issuing the  command "cd \tmp"

3. Download Gargoyle, achieved by issuing the  command?

" wget http://www.gargoyle-router.com/downloads/images/ar71xx/gargoyle_1.3.14-ar71xx-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin?      "

4.  Write the bin file to memory

" mtd -r write? gargoyle_1.3.14-ar71xx-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin linux? "

5. Wait around 10 minutes

6. Router will reboot and you can connect to it via 192.168.1.1

Regards

nareshseep

KingJL

• Tatanka
Re: Best firmware for the WZRG300NH!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 08:11:32 AM »

I agree with naresheep.

Although, in my case, I used tftp to install the fw on my router.  It is somewhat safer (just remember to get the image gargoyle_1.3.14-ar71xx-wzr-hp-g300nh-squash?fs-tftp.bin instead of gargoyle_1.3.14-ar71xx-wzr-hp-g300nh-squash?fs-sysupgrade.bin) than the mtd method.  I would recommend use of the tftp method, if possible.  Only use the mtd method as a last resort.  And remember to double check to insure that you are using the correct image for whichever method you use.

For most users, the Gargoyle implementation should be all that they want or need and is extremely easy to use and administer.

For the more adventurous, the latest OpenWrt trunk build provides a lot more bells and whistles, but is a little bit more challenging to administer.  The LuCi interface provides a fantastic web interface for router adminitration and exhibits amazing versatility. 

Personally, after experiencing the operation of  Buffalo "user friendly", Buffalo DD-WRT, DD-WRT community builds, Gargoyle (OpenWrt Backfire), and OpenWrt latest trunk build, the OpenWrt based firmware wins hands down.  I am never going back to the Buffalo or dd-wrt firmware.  My future router decisions will be guided by the ability to run OpenWrt (especially for Atheros based routers).

John_M

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »

Ditto for me with Gargoyle.   Been up 3 weeks, no wireless drops, excellent streaming to PS3 (14 mb/s to my TW roadrunner connection) and wifi blu-ray players for Netflix.  No reboots needed.  

I've gotten to the point where I've forgotten about the router...and that's a good thing!

Colt725

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 10:53:06 AM »

YEA Gargoyle rocks!  :smileyvery-happy:

tomwu

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 10:11:52 AM »

Guys, be aware... 

Don't know if it's the mtd issue that I followed the first post and the router brick after it rebooted. Maybe I should used tftp method...

While booting up, router light will flash but it end up only power/movie led light up.

Can't get dhcp, manual setup IP address on my laptop and no luck:(

Tried to push reset for 30 seconds, nothing changes.

And I'm in Australia with the 300NH bought in US, don't know if I can get warranty.....

elenalee

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 01:02:32 AM »

What is the Best firmware for the WZRG300NH!?

can anyone rply me

============

web design

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 11:40:40 AM »

still difficult to install openwrt, and too risky. also i dont think its possible to go back to dd-wrt or friendly firmware once you go to openwrt.

KingJL

• Tatanka
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 12:06:39 PM »

slybunda wrote:

...  also i dont think its possible to go back to dd-wrt or friendly firmware once you go to openwrt.

Wrong!  You can always tftp userfriendly firmware back onto the router (I have done it more than once).  The wireless works extremely reliable with OpenWrt and the radios are properly controlled.   As for difficulty with installatioin, I have no problems installing via tftp.  The MTD method is extremely dangerous and should not be performed (even if you think you know what you are doing). 

And is the subject of this thread wzg300nh or wzr-hp-g300nh?  It makes a difference!  When you go changing firmware you must be specific, accurate, and correct!

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 12:58:26 PM »

ok you got me interested in this. since running user friendly firmware when i pull data off my server over the wifi i do get 7.8megabytes per sec over the wifi but then the router crashes and restarts. this happens all the time. and with dd-wrt its even worse.

iv downloaded this: openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-tftp, so i just tftp this over and i can get a basic wifi access point working?

KingJL

• Tatanka
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 01:23:23 PM »

slybunda wrote:

ok you got me interested in this. since running user friendly firmware when i pull data off my server over the wifi i do get 7.8megabytes per sec over the wifi but then the router crashes and restarts. this happens all the time. and with dd-wrt its even worse.

iv downloaded this: openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wzr-hp-g300nh-squashfs-tftp, so i just tftp this over and i can get a basic wifi access point working?

That is the correct firmware (I actually build my own version from the trunk).  Follow the directions for the wzr-hp-g300nh from the supported hardware pages (  http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wzr-hp-g300h ). ? You have a couple things to do after tftp that image (opkg install the drivers, luci, etc).  After you get luci up, then turn on the radios.  It is pretty straight-forward and fairly well documented (remember, you are doing the tftp option).

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 01:42:11 PM »

no good not working for me, i have followed instructions, set the arp -s entry for the router ip address and its mac address, used the tftp command and all i get is timeout occured and then connect request failed.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 01:48:46 PM »

even tried putting a switch between the laptop and the router and its still giving he same error. this is why less people bother with openwrt, its install methods are just too unreliable and risky.

KingJL

• Tatanka
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 01:53:17 PM »

slybunda wrote:

no good not working for me, i have followed instructions, set the arp -s entry for the router ip address and its mac address, used the tftp command and all i get is timeout occured and then connect request failed.

You may have to do it from linux (one of the live-cd distros will work).

If you are doing it from MS(xp, etc.), you need to have a switch in between the pc and the router.  Also all firewalls need to be disabled.  Also the arp mac address needs to be 02-aa-bb-cc-dd-1a (for the wzr-hp-g300nh).  If you refuse to go the linux route and continue the windows route, you need to just keep trying and trying.  With the linux route, it has always worked 1rst time for me.  The windows route has always been a major PITA for me.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 02:04:31 PM »

no good again, to be honest if its this much trouble putting openwrt onto the router, i dead to know how hard it will be to revert back. gonna give up on this and not risk it. going openwrt is a guaranteed way to brick this router.

KingJL

• Tatanka
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 04:01:30 PM »

slybunda wrote:

.... openwrt is a guaranteed way to brick this router.

I don't think you have to worry about it...  you can't brick it if you can't tftp an image to it.