Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH Official 16783 BT-Pro (DD-WRT) FW Bug Report  (Read 14651 times)

crabnebula

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH Official 16783 BT-Pro (DD-WRT) FW Bug Report
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 08:21:22 PM »

Will there ever be an update to fix the wireless dropout issues that have been there forever with dd-wrt?

windracer

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 10:05:20 PM »

I think 16783 bricked my router? I just got a new WZR-HP-G300NH and got it set up with the version of DD-WRT it came out of the box with (DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (03/21/11) std (SVN revision 16519)).

Then I saw on the support web site that a newer version of the Buffalo-branded DD-WRT professional firmware was available (V24-SP2 build 16783) so I downloaded that and attempted to upgrade.

The upgrade process failed, and now my router just has a green power light and a solid red DIAG light. If I reboot it, I see all of the lights flash on briefly, and then it's back to just power and diag.

I'm no stranger to DD-WRT (I've been running it for years on my trust Buffalo WHR-HP-G54), so I've tried the 30/30/30 reset, but the router seems to be completely unresponsive. Is there anything else I can try, or should I return it to my place of purchase (Amazon)?

irishtr

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 12:54:18 AM »

TFTP method is your last chance.  Look up how to do on DD-WRT forums as here probably wont have any clue!

irishtr

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 01:02:16 AM »

Thing that pisses me off the most with this router is the inability to maintain a solid 300Mbps... Sure the first 1-2mins it shows that but then all wireless devices drop down to 130/65.  I have tested all these devices on other routers and they successfully maintain 300Mbps all night and day long.  Yet Mr HighPower Buffalo with any version of Bufallo F/W from 1.74-1.76 along with any DD-WRT (Buffalo/DD-WRT provided) always drop down to a lower rate!

I know its not my laptops/locations problem as they seem to work fine with every other router I've tested capable of 300Mbps solid with same exact settings matched into the WZR-HP-300GN (which no clue why should be more than capable of this feat with its hardware specs) alas the problem ultimately lies with the firmware/drivers designed to run it and unfortunately it hasn't been fixed since its inception!  Plenty of complains all over the web, here, DD-WRT...  Which is a shame, product had so much potential to end up a failing.

windracer

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 07:26:20 AM »

irishtr wrote:

TFTP method is your last chance.  Look up how to do on DD-WRT forums as here probably wont have any clue!

Thanks ... I tried the TFTP method multiple times without luck. I ended up returning the router to Amazon and they sent me a replacement. This one won't upgrade to 16783 either, but I'm just going to leave it alone now and not risk another bricking.

irishtr

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 12:14:03 AM »

Sorry to hear.  I gave up on any firmware Buffalo produced (Buffalo/DD-WRT by them) and use straight DD-WRT firmware from the community (which I believe voids the warranty (I picked this problem child up used anyways.) Current version is 17201 and haven't had really any problems other than this router does not stay at 300Mbps (they need to rename the **bleep** model to WZR-LP-G130NH).  Because the 300 only lasts for about 1-2mins before it downgrades (thats with any firmware!)  And its not my machines because I connect to my other routers just fine at full 300 all day long!

windracer

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 06:46:43 AM »
I might try straight DD-WRT as well since I am running it on my WHR-HP-G54 and WHR-G300N without any problems. It's just the Buffalo-branded version that's giving me trouble. My next problem, for example, is that none of my TrendNET wireless cameras will connect. I keep seeing their MAC addresses blink in and out of the wireless status page, and the log is filled with "deauthenticated due to local deauth request" messages for the cameras. It's like they are constantly trying to connect and can't (and I AM running in mixed GN mode). *sigh*

seanford

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 07:00:51 PM »

I've run into a problem that I am trying to workaround. It seems that when I reboot my router, or change a setting that requires the wireless (ath0) interface to restart, wireless clients can no longer re-connect.  

I have confirmed this with an ASUS transformer tablet as well as several TrendNET webcams. Oddly enough, Windows 7 does not seem to be affected. On the Transformer, if I turn-off Wi-Fi, and then turn it back on, it reconnects fine. With the webcams, restarting them (power cycle is only way), does the trick.  

As you might imagine, this is a problem if I am not on-site as that is why I have the cameras in the first place.  

I've tried telnetting in an disabling the wireless interface and then re-enabling it, but that does not work. As a matter of fact, that is actually one way to reproduce the issue. This also means that the several WiFi dropout scripts in the Wiki won't work either. ?

haakony

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 10:12:34 AM »

I am still getting only half my  WAN speed even with this build, having a switch in the middle solved it but this is not a solution.

if you need any data/logs just ask.

Romep

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 12:26:15 PM »

Hello,

i just bought a WZR-HP-G300NH. First, i upgraded to the consumer friendly firmware 1.77 and then to professional firmware 16783. If i open the web page at 192.168.11.1 i only get a blank page and i am redirected to http://192.168.11.1/cgi-bin/cgi?req=twz?. If i enter http://192.168.11.1/index.asp manually, i get to the configuration page, but i can't do any configurations cause obviously all cgi pages are missing. Also i can't "upgrade" firmware back to 14998 or something else, because the upgrade.cgi is also missing.

The router still connects to the internet and i can telnet to it.

I need Help!

Romep

?

seanford

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 12:41:11 PM »

Are you using Chrome?  If so, try IE...after my upgrade, pages in Chrome were blank....once I loaded it once in IE, for some reason, everything worked. (Although I occassionally get errors in Chrome when saving settings.)

Romep

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 01:28:05 PM »

Weird. Internet Explorer works. Firefox under Windows as well. Firefox under Linux doesn't. So to change settings i always have to start my Windows machine. That sucks!

rjt

• Calf
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 08:26:06 PM »

i have been using Firefox 3.6.18 on Fedora 14 and have not noticed a problem. 

For security reasons, i use a dedicated Firefox profile for managing internal network devices.  The bonus is that it makes it very easy to clear the cache.  I would not be surprisedif  clearing the cache was especially important after switching firmware.

Speedy1205

• Calf
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 09:26:14 AM »

OK here I will give my Feedback to the new Firmware.

1. The Wireless is pretty stable after finding the currect settings, but anyway I restarting the Router once in the night.

2. N-Clients not staying at 300mbps which they do with 1.77 User friendly firware. So my speed is not perfect :-( exactly after 5 minutes they drop to 130mbps

With the TXpower 25 its working good but still the major issues :-)