Author Topic: WZR-HP-AG300H WiFi Fail  (Read 2592 times)

schadfield

• Calf
WZR-HP-AG300H WiFi Fail
« on: May 19, 2013, 04:53:25 AM »

I am in Japan with a WZR-HP-AG300H experiencing what seems to be a very familar problem. About once a day wireless clients lose connectivity and either fail to obtain an IP address or can successfully connect but cannot see the network. The wired PC is able to connect just fine.

The only solution appears to be a reboot of the router.

The router is using User Friendly Firmware 1.72 dated November 2011 (!) which appears to be the most recent version on the Japanese support site.

Is there really no other version I can use? The Japanese web site does not seem to offer a professional version at all. Will more recent firmware for this device available on the US support web site install and run on this router?

schadfield

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-AG300H WiFi Fail
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:41:32 PM »

Well, I have successfully installed the US 1.78 User Friendly firmware. I lost access to the web admin pages (via LAN and wireless) but a reset brought it back up. I now have an English language user interface and I am eagerly waiting to see if the WiFi is more stable with this version...

schadfield

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 06:24:21 AM »

User Friendly 1.78 proved to be just as useless as the earlier versions. Soon lost access to the router from all WiFi connections and needed to restart at least once a day.

My next experiment was to try the latest version of the DD-WRT based Professional version downloaded from Buffalo's US web site. This identifies itself as "DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (06/03/12) std" and I was able to install it using the built in upgrade function without any problems.

It seems this might be the answer to my prayers! I have now been running for over 1 week without needing to restart.

dr_gibberish

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 06:47:58 PM »

I would be very curious to know if this is continuing to work well for you. I have the same router and have the exact same problems with the "user freindly" firmware.

I originally tried to set this up with DD-WRT but gave up because I was having trouble firguring out how to set up a guest network. However, with the user freindly firmware installed, I have to reboot the router every day or two to allow machines connected by wifi to work. (However, when it is working it seems to work great.) 

If the DD-WRT firmware is more stable, I will put in the effort to get it running correctly.

It seems like other people having the same problem with this router. How come the firmware has not been updated in nearly a year?