Author Topic: WZR-HP-AG300H wireless drop with DD-WRT  (Read 5538 times)

alexny

• Calf
WZR-HP-AG300H wireless drop with DD-WRT
« on: May 09, 2011, 10:47:25 PM »

Hello,

It seems the same issues seen on the Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N (and documented here: http://kinglee.blogspot.com/2010/07/buffalo-whr-hp-g300n-wireless-drop-on.html) is also happening on my brand new WZR-HP-AG300H. I get the same exact type of errors in my /var/log/messages:

May  9 22:32:02 BuffaloRouter user.warn kernel: [129025.450000] Resetting; Code: 01
May  9 22:32:03 BuffaloRouter user.warn kernel: [129026.320000] Resetting; Code: 01
May  9 22:32:04 BuffaloRouter user.warn kernel: [129027.180000] Resetting; Code: 01
May  9 22:32:05 BuffaloRouter user.warn kernel: [129028.050000] Resetting; Code: 01

Because this is a dualband router and has two wireless interfaces it seems that only one of them drops, the one having been idle for about 12 hours. I've had no issues

copying 300+ GB of data over wifi (which took a couple of days). But if the interface is not in use, it will eventually drop, and the SSID for that interface is no longer broadcast. My current DD-WRT version is what came out of the box (since no other updates are on Buffalo's website as of now): DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (12/17/10) std - build 15940

Oddly enough I've had the WZR-HP-G300NH for about a year at my previous address and I've never encountered this issue (haven't had the need to reboot the router for months, it was rock solid) but I think it was because I had a constat flow of WiFi traffic from my IP Camera, which I don't have here, and even if I did it wouldn't be on both channels).

Please, advise if you are aware of the issue, and if there is a fix in the works for it. I don't really feel comfortable upgrading to a development release of dd-wrt, I would prefer to wait for one coming from Buffalo, that is if it doesn't take way too long. At this point, I'm using the Keep Alive feature in DD-WRT (which is really more like kill and resurrect if you ask me) to schedule a reboot daily at 6 AM. This is a dirty, dirty workaround, not a fix, by any definition. I just got off the phone with customer support who directed me to the Forums instead, so they didn't seem to be aware of any issue. Let me know if you need me to provide any more information, logs, etc. I'll be happy to, as long is it leads to a fix.

The_Outlaw

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-AG300H wireless drop with DD-WRT
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:06:04 AM »

I am having a similar problem (with any luck it will be the same root cause so we can get it figured out). I just now enabled the log files so I am going to have to see what that turns up but my 2.4GHz band stops transmitting after 12-13 hours after the last reboot regardless of being in use or not. The sysinfo page still shows the interface up and things connected to it but the SSID is no longer broadcast and none of the devices it says are connected are actually connected, however the 5 GHz band continues to work just fine. This just started for me within the past 2-3 days and has been persistent twice per day since the first time it went down.

With any luck I will be able to post log info tomorrow (12-13 hours from now) from the next time it goes down.

WZR-HP-AG300H Firmware: DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (12/17/10) std SVN revision 15940

The_Outlaw

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:16:06 PM »

This is what turned up in the log file, edited the router name  out and the MAC address of the device that had the last entry becore the error. The user.warn kernel errors repeat every second with a different numbers in the brackets.

May 13 02:50:11 *router* daemon.info hostapd: ath0: STA *MAC address* WPA: received EAPOL-Key 2/2 Group with unexpected replay counter

May 13 03:01:49 *router* user.warn kernel: [72727.510000] Sending cwmmode action frame to ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

May 13 03:01:50 *router* user.warn kernel: [72728.330000] Resetting; Code: 01

May 13 03:01:51 *router* user.warn kernel: [72729.200000] Resetting; Code: 01

May 13 03:01:52 *router* user.warn kernel: [72730.080000] Resetting; Code: 01

May 13 03:01:53 *router* user.warn kernel: [72730.940000] Resetting; Code: 01

May 13 03:01:54 *router* user.warn kernel: [72731.820000] Resetting; Code: 01

May 13 03:01:55 *router* user.warn kernel: [72732.690000] Resetting; Code: 01

May 13 03:01:56 *router* user.warn kernel: [72733.570000] Resetting; Code: 01  

The_Outlaw

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 02:31:53 AM »

From a couple of other times looking at my log files it seems that the line below is the beginning of the errors.

May 14 09:05:23 *router* user.warn kernel: [61899.440000] Sending cwmmode action frame to ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

I did notice that the following line appeared before the above line as well, but not always consecutively but within a few seconds, and so far it has always been the same device, I am turning the wireless of on that now (it is my android phone) to see if that makes a difference. I am obviously not yet sure if it is related.

May 14 08:54:21 *router* daemon.info hostapd: ath0: STA *MAC address* WPA: received EAPOL-Key 2/2 Group with unexpected replay counter

*Edit* This message in the log is unrelated to the error relating to stopping transmitting. I have had once without this message in the log at all and another time where it was about 30 min between the last time it showed and when the wireless stopped. *end edit*

The only other thing I have been able to find so far is from the WZR-HP-G300NH model router and is linked below, I have not yet tried the scripts but they seem like a workaround to me. Also most of the time this occurs with my router it is being used actively, however my phone (the device with the unexpected replay counter) has not been in use. I will reply again if I find anything else out.

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-G300NH#Fix_for_WiFi_Dropouts

DBott

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:42:12 AM »

I have asked and poted on thois same issue and more or less pointing at Buffalo for NOT being active with DD-WRT firmware updates.  This seems to have been a documented KNOWN issues not only in this line of router, but other ones.  Yet it is the DD-WRT community that is offering what is more or less a restart of services.  THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN and the lack of support from Buffalo is really outragous.

Heck, they did not even have this modem on their download firmware page until I brought it to their attention.  And when I had just seen it was listed, I got excited for their was a firmware dated 3/15/11 - But NOPE...Same firmware from last Nov/Dec just the date they posted it was changed.  So NOTHING in regards to current firmware for their Flagship product and NOTHING in regards to the wireless radio just going away.  OUTRAGOUS!

COME ON BUFFALO, TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS and USERS.  DD-WRT community has new fireware listed for this router, but we would really like an OFFICIAL release from Buffalo.  But more so, we would lile this issues resolved and you all seem to want to ignore you have an issue.

(Link to my toher thread... http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Wireless/WZR-HP-AG300H-Firmware-updates-Which-where-how/td-p/62840 )

The_Outlaw

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 07:58:33 PM »

I finally recieved a real response from Buffalo in an email, it simply said

"Make sure the unit is set to a specific channel and not an Auto Channel."

After making this change (I did it for both bands, had no real reason not to) the problem has either been solved or at least had a dramatic improvement. The router has been up for 48 hours without a problem and without needing a reboot, that hasn't happened for quite some time. I will try to remember to post again in a week, or post if I have the problem again but for me at least this has improved the situation if not resolved it.

alexny

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 10:02:53 PM »

You know how I mentioned having the G300NH before the AG300H and never having an issue with it; and how I thought it was because of the IP camera generating constant IP traffic. Well, I checked the settings and sure enough I had it set to channel 9 not auto, so they may actually have something here. Anyway, thank you very much for the information, I've changed the settings on my AG300H, so let the countdown begin. I will report back.

alexny

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 11:41:56 PM »

Today was the first time I've had to reboot take my router down since my last post, and it was unrelated to the wifi drops, I simply had to change the surge suppressor it was plugged into. So, bottom line, my router has been rock solid for over 10 days, I haven't lost any of my WiFi networks once, which is what I've always expected from Buffalo and dd-wrt.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 07:16:25 PM »

Excellent! I am soon to have an AG300H soon as well, just ordered it yesterday, but my G300NH has been rock steady for many days now. Great router!

sethz

• El Toro
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 12:39:02 PM »

Whenever we get people talking about dropped packets, we usually ask them to set to a specific channel as a first step. It does seem to work far more often than not in many cases.

Alnico

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 01:16:35 AM »

I too have a problem where WZR-HP-AG300H drops the 2.4Ghz but not the 5Ghz.  I have ath0 and ath0.1 (my guest), and ath1.  Updating to the lastet alpha wear of DD-WRT available through Buffalo.com has not brought stability.  I also note the following stability issues.

Nevermind about the time issue that I edited out here:  Suffice to say, viewing time.gov can be confusing:   RTR in Central Time of USA should be set for UTC-6 plus 2nd Sun Mar - 1st Sun Nov. 

Further, any change I make that needs 'apply settings' seems to cause the rtr to loose its WAN DHCP assigned address.  Release/Refresh fails to aquire.  Soft reboot from the administration page is the only thing that gets the router back.  This also happens on stock Buffalo branded DD-WRT and the new alpha.

I am considering installing the 'friendly' firmware but suspect it will not support the intergration with SQUID that I was hoping to setup - since I really need seamless proxy to keep my savy kids from places kids should not go. :)

Does any one know if the 'friendly' ware is based on Linux and if it is configurable?  My rtr actually shipped with DD-WRT installed but it has been so unstable I am annoyed.  I will try the hard coded channel trick but that seems unlikely to address the other issues.

What other firmware(s) have people been successfully using with this device?