Author Topic: Accessing WHR-HP-G300N setup as WAP to my existing network  (Read 1859 times)

wantonsoup

• Calf

I've got a Buffalo WHR-G54S as my router, but the wireless on it isn't too great as it's in my basement.   (I need the router in the basement as it's got all my wired connections as well as my incoming internet line and cable modem down there)  I'll refer to this as the old router.

I bought the WHR-HP-G300N to get a great wireless signal, and I've run a LAN cable from the old router to it.  This allows me to put the good new wireless router upstairs where I need the best signal. 

But - Is it possible to get into the new router's setup menu via a computer on the old router's wired network?  My old router assigned it an IP address (192.168.1.121), but I can't figure out how to get into the new router's settings page.  Is that only possible via a wireless device like a laptop or smartphone?   I'd really love to be able to play with the wireless settings from my desktop, which is wired to the old router.

wantonsoup

• Calf
Re: Accessing WHR-HP-G300N setup as WAP to my existing network
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 11:52:04 PM »

I plugged the new router into the old one using a LAN cable - but I can't get into the new router's settings admin page from a PC on the old network - only from a wireless laptop that I've connected to the new router. 

I would like to be able to access the new router from the old network. 

I did setup a static IP on the new router.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Accessing WHR-HP-G300N setup as WAP to my existing network
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 02:02:46 PM »

You need to set a static IP on the old router as well.