Author Topic: WZR-HP-AG300H - Firmware updates? Which, where, how?  (Read 20866 times)

axiomatic

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-AG300H - Firmware updates? Which, where, how?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 12:52:37 PM »

Buffalo guys,

I really hate to pile on here but I have two of the WZR-HP-AG300H which I think are very good routers so far except for this wifi dropout issue.

Maybe just a short update on where you are at on this issue would satisfy us users curiosity that you at least are "taking it seriously." I dumped D-Link to join the Buffalo crowd but unfortunately I am back to using my D-Link DIR-855 because wifi on the WZR-HP-AG300H just doesnt stay up long enough to be relied on.

I apologize if this adds some undue pressure but I think we are all believers in Buffalo and know that this is not easy to fix, but just a small update as to how the issue is progesssing in the Dev teams might be in order?

My thanks to all of you in advance.

Cheers!

-Axiomatic

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 11:38:25 AM »

We take FW seriously and have to wait for each new FW from Japan. We don't get a timetable from them in regards to when the next FW is ready for BT USA to conduct QA on each new FW.

DBott

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 12:02:36 PM »

We are coming up now on 6 months that this firmware has NOT been updated for this model.  It has not been updated from the release!

insomnic

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 06:35:27 PM »

I'd rather have stable firmware rather than fast firmware so thank you for the recent release of DDWRT.

DBott

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 07:08:27 PM »

"I'd rather have stable firmware rather than fast firmware so thank you for the recent release of DDWRT."

Huh?  What?  What recent release?  Their has not been a new release for this model from the time the model came out.  That 2011-05-13 date on the Buffalo download page is the date they finely REMEMBERED that it was not even listed on their site.  That date is the date it was posted to their site when in fact it is the same December released firmware the unit ships with.

As it has been clearly started, it is not stable.  That is, unless you consider your wireless radios just turning off for no reason.   

Really?  Come on now.

BuffaloDonkey

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 10:27:38 AM »

To share my frustration.

I Just went to http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-G300NH (last modified 7 June 2011). Following instructions from that page I next went to http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database and identified that 

BuffaloTech WZR-HP-AG300H factory firmware (DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (03/21/11) std ) is the latest firmare available for the excellent wireless router that keeps dropping off it's wireless part, wifi dropout. The dd-wrt site states that lates support firmware fo the router is V24preSP2 [BETA] Build 14896, which is the origin of the factory firmware as stated earlier in this thread. So, no luck for the wireless dropout.

Noticed that there dd-wrt page has detailed howto instructions to help you to fix WiFi Dropout and also an alternate method for it.  Why would I want to reset wireless connection (manually or automatically via script)?  I want to stay connected.

I promised to get my wlan working today. It's gonna be either BuffaloTech or some other vendor here at the end of the day.

D'oh!

DBott

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 10:48:16 AM »

And to think...STILL TO THIS DAY, Buffalo has remainded quite on this.  This is listed as their FLAGSHIP ROUTER!  Yet it seems to have more issues than I think they know what to do with.

COME ON BUFFALO...NOT ONLY TAKE CARE OF YOUR PRODUCTS...BUT YOUR CUSTOMERS!

insomnic

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 11:58:59 AM »

I've switched to using Gargoyle: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/

Works great and I've had zero issues. It's a DDWRT front end with a basic gui front end but has quite a few advanced features as well if you want to use them (including TOR and openNIC support as well as an extensive reporting tools and QOS options).

Buffalo will never get any business from me or the company I work for ever again because of how this router release and maintenance was handled. As been said... this was their flagship router and their handling of it shows exactly what kind of company they have become. I equate them with Belkin now... just out to scam customers who aren't tech savvy enough to know they are being ripped off.

Artjohn

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 02:25:30 PM »

Hey Insomnic:

Thank you for the Gargoyle heads up.  

Did you have any installation issues getting Gargoyle up and running?   Any tips to use or gotchas to avoid?

TIA

DBott

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »

Please don't hijack this thread. 

Thanks

Colt725

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 02:05:49 PM »

Gargoyle interface is a front end for the excellent OpenWrt Kamikaze firmware.  OpenWRT is developing firmware for this router and they have a trunk that works but I don't link their GUI so i am waiting for the Kamikaze firmware.

"Always check OpenWRT for hardware support.
Looks like its only supported in newest trunk testing
Which means currently, no Gargoyle image will support the AG300H"

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1839&p=8237&hilit=ag300h#p8237

szabogi

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 10:05:45 AM »

DBott -- Wondering if you have had any luck resolving this issue of the wi-fi drops.  I have the AG300H with the DD-WRT built 16519 (DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (03/21/11) std) that came pre-installed with this router.

I stupidly replaced Buffalo 300GH router that had the identical problem, expecting that this "better" model would not be plagued by the same wi-fi drop out issue.  I've had great experience with Buffalo products in the past, but this has completely shaken my brand loyalty.

As you said earlier in this thread, the router isn't even listed in the dd-wrt.com router database.

I'm ready to take this router out back and run it over with my SUV to extract some amount of satisfaction from the miserable hours of time I have wasted trying to get the SSID to stop disappearing.  I posted to http://forums.techguy.org/networking/1039270-buffalo-whr-hp-g300n-wzr.html awhile back.  I'll copy/paste what I said there below in case anyone here can throw me a bone to fix this.

~~~~

I'm an IT pro that manages the network for a small business. I have read through a couple expired threads here on techguy.org where people are experiencing the same issue that I have. Unfortunately, I don't have any resolution, but am instead throwing this out there in case anyone does have a way to resolve this problem.

The problem has occured with both of the AP/Routers that are listed in the subject. This makes me think it is DD-WRT related and not Buffalo related, but that may not be the case.

The problem is simple: the SSID disappears 1 or more times a day. Sometimes it makes it more than a full day, but then disappears again. It is completely intermittent and there doesn't seem to be any logical reason for it.

* Firmware on the WZR-HP-AG300H is DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI(03/21/11)
* The device is configured as an Access Point, not a router. 
* It has a static IP address assigned
* DHCP Server disabled
* SSID Assigned, WPA2 Personal Mixed wireless security, WPA Shared Key assigned.
* The device is located in the middle of the office in a nice cool area where it in not prone to overheating in any way.
* There are no issues with power as printers/fax machines within 10 feet of the device get their power from the same source.
* The office is not located in a high density area. There are only 2 other SSID's in the area that broadcast and are picked up at this location (owned by other individuals or companies in the vicinity of my office).

When the SSID disappears, I can use a web browser to connect to the device (via wired connection), so although SSID is down (and indeed trying to connect to it by name doesn't work either), the physical ethernet port(s) of are "up". So, I connect to the device, login, go to the Wireless, Basic Settings. Make no changes but click "Apply Settings". Bingo, within 10 seconds, SSID is back and wireless users can connect again. Makes no sense. It's like the wireless side of the device just goes to sleep. Alternatively, I have trained the users to just unplug the device and plug it back in, which solves the problem, for a little while.

Although not a reliable workaround, but it helps with reducing the constant reboots, I have gone to the Administration, Keep Alive tab and enabled Schedule Reboot to reboot everyday at 0600 hours.

I experienced this problem with the WHR-HP-G300N and replaced it with the WZR-HP-AG300H and see now that both models suffer from the exact same problem.

Any ideas to fix or thoughts on troubleshooting welcomed.

DBott

• Calf
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »

Hello...

I am sorryto say NO.  This router has to be the WORST one I have ever come across.  It is SO SAD and says A LOT about a company that not only lists this their FLAGSHIP product abut they do not even care to look to fix theit "best product".  I am looking for a better product at this time that...well...WORKS without drops.

At this time all I can do it setup the watchdog to look at 2 wireless IP's.  If they can not be reached, it restart the WiFi radio.   I also find I can last longer if not running in Dual Band mode and stay with only B/G and not use 5Ghz which is why I biught it.

szabogi

• Calf
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 11:25:38 AM »

Thanks DBott for the tips on things you've done to make the problem better.  

I located the the latest firmware here: http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads/ for DD-WRT and the "User Friendly Firmware".  I've just applied this DD-WRT firmware DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (11/20/11) std Build 17798 to see if it will make any difference.  I've flashed the G300 previously and it didn't make a lick of difference, so am not anticipating this will resolve the problem.

IF it doesn't, I am going to try the crappy User Friendly Firmware to see if that might solve the SSID disappearance problem.  Read here or somewhere in the DD-WRT user forums that this problem goes away with that firmware.

Also, although I am not inclined to try it, I read in the user forums that a guy used OPENWRT on his Buffalo G300 and the wifi dropout problem went away.

The problem definitely appears to be rooted in DD-WRT, and perhaps specifically when running on the Buffalo products, but I am not sure of that link per se (just guessing as I see a lot of Buffalo complaints with this specific issue, but don't see other product owners complaining about this problem).

DBott

• Calf
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 11:31:57 AM »

The issue with the Friendly firmware is you can not setup guest access which is one thing I required.  I am also not sure if it supports Dual mode (2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz) at the same time.  (Not sure, but I thought I recall itdid not.)