Author Topic: WZR-HP-AG300H - Firmware updates? Which, where, how?  (Read 20873 times)

DBott

• Calf
WZR-HP-AG300H - Firmware updates? Which, where, how?
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:11:20 AM »

Hello...

Model = WZR-HP-AG300H

New to Buffalo routers and also to new to dd-wrt.  Not new to routers really, or even how to update them.  However, I am very lost with Buffalo.

Not only is my model not listed on Buffalo's webite support area in the product drop down box, I can not find any reference to it for updates on the Buffalo website.  Kind of pondering really.

I did come across this digging though the forums...

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/04-09-11-r16785/buffalo_wzr-hp-ag300h/

...while searching around.  Is this the CURRENT lease?  If so, why it is not mentioned anywhere?  It is the only place I seem to have been able to find any firmware for this router.  Not even on the Buffalo site.

If this an offiical Buffalo relase?  Who is BrainSlayer for example?

So, then then leads me to what file do I use?  Their are TWO in the download area.  Both the same file size, but different names.  Also...no release notes.

Also, the files are .BIN files.  Yet on the CD that came with the WZR-HP-AG300H the file firmware extention is different.

Can you see why maybe someone new would be totally lost?  :)

Their is also no information that I could find on Buffalo's site on the propoer way to upgrafe the firmware.  I know back it up first, but if I install one of these bin files, will the current settings be retained or does it wipe it?  Again, I ask for their is NO INFO on revsions or what is needed to be done.  VERY lacking in any type of documentaion. 

Reason I am looking for new firmware...Well this one is dated 12/17/10.  (DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (12/17/10) std)  And seems to make been made for a differnt model that I found in the 2010 download area but again this model is not listed in their.  (BTW..These model numnbers really are poor as they are way to close to each other.)  But the reason I am looking to update....

I am looking for the current firmware because I also seem to be plagued with the wireless just going away (As I have read also happen with the model that has close the the same model number).  Both 2.4ghz and 5ghz just will stop on the router.  I need to reboot the router to get it back.  It can take 2 or 3 days for it to occure, but it does.  Before this happens, I usually see a large # of TX erros start to occur.    As such, I came looking for new firmware incase this has been resolved.

Side note...Even on the dd.wrt site in the router database, this model is not even listed for files or help.  ?????

So...Any help or guidence would be appreacated.

Thank you.

David

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: WZR-HP-AG300H - Firmware updates? Which, where, how?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 02:26:26 PM »

That site is not from buffalo but from DDWRT. Those are two different entities. This unit should be added to the downloads list very soon so you can download the firmware. Is QoS enabled for you? You might want to try and disable it to see if it resolves the wireless issues.

DBott

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 03:05:11 PM »

Hello...

Thank you kindly for the reply.

I do know that they are two differnt sites, however, Buffalo is using that firmware as I did find the firmware that came on the WZR-HP-AG300H on that site but it seems it is for a slight differnt model numner. (Yet the hardware is clearly differnt being dual band.)  It is not even listed here.  Heck, my model is not even listed. 

It is just so confusing.  Where do I go for support and firmware?  I ask for their is NO instrustion or Wiki here on how to do things with the router.  Yet their is on the DD-WRT site.  I had to read on the DD-WRT site how to setup my router to be used as a GUEST access and that I needed to make a bridge and add in code to make it all work.  Yet the Buffalo states that it has a guest mode, yet it does not really have a mode for it.  See how it can be very confusing on who is actually running what?   It is DD-WRT firmware yes?  And DD-WRT has one listed in the location mentioned. So which is it?  Is it not actually for the WZR-HP-AG300H even though it is the only place I have found with something listed for this model.

Not even have the model listed on the site of the Manufacturer for support, help, firmeware, etc at all is...well...outragious.

In any case, the issue I have seems was carried over from other units and will of couse make for a return of the 3 units I purchased.  I see referneced of this for other models with notes about it being not resolved or not really even being looked into.  Only things I find are from users who have made scripts etc to ping a wireless device and if not found, restart the wireless services.  Reguarless, the network still goes down for at least over a minuite knocking things off line.  This clearly is not accetable. Why is not Buffalo all over this?

I am using the router just as an Access Point.  (Not that that matters.  The wireless radios just go away.  POOF.)

In any case QoS is DISABLED. So not an issue nor was that ever mentioned in any of the threads I have read on the issue. So pondering.

So, No support info for Buffalo's Flagship Router.  Not even downloadable firmeware from the site.  I really am wondering about my choice and this is my first expereice with a Buffalo product.

Thank you again for the reply.  But sorry to say it really did not help answer the questions.

David

Princeton-Phil

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 02:34:17 PM »

I have this model. Didn't you use the CD that came with the unit? I've loaded the Buffalo (non-DD-WRT) firmware and it's fine.

I was told that Buffalo will post updates, etc. on their website about one month after the product is available. Since that's about now, I'm checking the site regularly. But, if they don't have solutions to open issues yet, I guess we just have to wait.

Nevertheless, I have not complaints but I fo have a rather simple application.

DBott

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »

The standard "User Friendly" firmware does not offer the options needed. (Like being able to custom setup GUEST access.)  Seeing it come defaulted with the WW-DRT firmware, I would expect this is the one to be more widely used.

Colt725

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 06:41:44 AM »

I was just reading through the user friendly firmware manual (it's on the CD)  and they talk about setting up a guest account in the User Management  section in chapter 4 page 71.

OOPS that was the manual for the  WZR-HP-G300nh

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 02:59:28 PM »

I'm sorry abotu the DBott, I'm not sure why it has not been added to the downloads list yet. The firmware is written by DDWRT for buffalo, so most of their walk throughs will work on our firmware. Setting up a guest network is as follows.

Enable a virtual network.

Enable AP isolation on that network

If you want to create a dhcp server and add it to that virtual ap and unbridge it from the main dhcp server.

Use the code you got from DDWRT to seperate the network.

I'm sorry you have not had much luck with the router. As for the wireless drop outs, what channel are you using? Have you tried the friendly firmware that came on the disk to see if this resolved the issue?

mookie

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »

You can set up multiple SSIDs in the User Friendly firmware for WZR-HP-AG300H, which I just bought.  I use one of them as guest.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 03:56:10 PM »

Mookie, yeah thats true but its not completely seperate. You can still see other devices on the network wich is basically what a real guest network cannot do. Creating a guest network the way I explained will have it so that the guest cannot see any resources on the network, whether they be other wireless guests or any wired devices on the LAN.

DBott

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 06:05:20 PM »

Thanks Jotin for the reply.

However, as mentioned, this is running as an AP and not a rull router with a internet WAN connection.  So, well, their is much more to it as you know.

I went to the DD-WRT site for, well , that is where the firmware is from.  And, well, that is where I found information on the firmware and the settings. I am just still amazed on the lack for ANYTHING for this product in regards to support on Buffalo's own site.  Not even current firmware!!!!!  The one that comes with it is surely not current anymore as I provided a link to what I THINK is the current firmware.  Yet, no one can seem to tell me if it is or not.   Hello...Buffalo????? 

BTW...Here is how you set up a true guest network running in AP mode...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 08:53:18 PM »

You can use community builds of dd-wrt for your unit as you please, the main reason that there is no buffalo professional dd-wrt available at their website for downloads is because the buffalo dd-wrt builds are alpha builds. The community dd-wrt builds are all beta test builds, but the alpha buffalo dd-wrt build is still based on beta code, thats why there is build numbers. I believe your unit comes with the latest alpha dd-wrt build on the CD enclosed with the router, thus no need for download on buffalo's site.

Also, as you have already found out, the dd-wrt community is where you need to study info from because buffalo's site has no info like dd-wrt's community wiki's and forums. I should know, i helped contribute a good lot of that info :)

DBott

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 09:36:31 PM »

Thanks buddee. 

I guess my point is that Buffalo does not have ANYTHING related to what I think is their flagship wireless router on the site.  Nor do they seem to try to help with issues that are brought up. (Like the dropped WiFi radios that need to be restarted.)  That one issue for example has been around for such a time that I have found 2 different checkers, made my members of dd-wrt, that more or less restart the services that should not have gone down in the first place.  Why is not Buffalo addressing this I guess is a good question to ask.  I should not have to run a cron job on my AP looking to see if it can ping a wifi device and if not, restart the interfaces.  This is a major disruption in service as you would likely know. :)

I get bursts of bad transmissions, followed by hours of no issues at all.  I have tried different channels and I am sure to keep at least a 4 channel separation.  One thing I can not even find any info on is what is the antenna config in this thing.  A tech on the phone said its a 2+2 which does not make much sense seeing he then said, and I have read in the dd-wrt wiki's that I should set 1-2 and 1-2-3.  How can that be seeing it does not seem to have 3 antennas.  I have tried different things to no avail.  Very pondering.

As such my concern when I came to this site looking for not only current firmware, but some help with their top product.  Such a shame it is not even listed anywhere expect to read the sales info on it.

I guess I am just frustrated. Maybe you would be also with numbers like this...

Received (RX) 103638429 OK, no error 

Transmitted (TX) 50993131 OK, 4705234 errors 
The TX errors take off at some point and then stops.  I have yet to find the source of the interference but it happens on any channel.  I can not even seem to be able to pin it down to one wireless device.  It would be helpful if you could see the RX and TX errors per connected device.  After all, if the system knows it had an TX error, it knows to what WiFi MAC address had the error.   This could be very helpful to find out if it is may be ONE wireless device having an issue, or if you see it on all at the same time.  Thus interference.
Thanks for the help given in the wiki.

DBott

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 07:48:33 AM »

Hello Buffalo???  Are you going to release updated Firmware for your new Flagship router?

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 10:41:11 AM »

the latest Buffalo DDWRT FW is 15940 on the Buffalotech USA download site.

DBott

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 10:54:24 AM »

Like I said...  DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (12/17/10) std - build 15940  IS THE SAME VERSION THAT THE UNIT SHIPPED WITH.  It has not been touched from December yet has issues like the wireless radio drop out.

Thanks for the reply, but it was far from needed other than proving my point.

(And yes, it is on the site NOW after me having to point out it was missing.  Yet still no update from the origional release.)