Author Topic: WZR-600DHP wireless devices cannot see wired devices  (Read 2269 times)

maximusmmiv

• Calf
WZR-600DHP wireless devices cannot see wired devices
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:50:20 AM »
I have purchased a WZR-600DHP and have gone through basic setup on the device. The firmware has been updated to the latest version, and the wireless networks have been set up with SSIDs and WPA2 keys. I have also changed the default username and password on the router firmware itself. Other than what I have just mentioned here, no other changes have been made.

My wireless devices are unable to communicate with wired devices, however the reverse is not true. The wired devices can see the wireless devices. Specifically, I have a desktop computer and a Macbook. The desktop computer can ping the Macbook, however the Macbook cannot ping the desktop computer (by name or by IP address).

As I mentioned, the router is operating "out of the box" with only a firmware upgrade. By default, AP Isolation is not turned on. I have attempted turning it on and then turning it back off again. I have also factory reset the device. None of this has helped. This is very frustrating, as my desktop computer hosts several shared directories that I frequently access via various wireless devices around the house. It also hosts a Plex server that I access via a Roku, but this is also not working.

I have searched and read threads all over the internet on this topic, and I am not the only one experiencing this issue.

Questions:
1. Does anyone know of a fix for this using the Buffalo DD-WRT firmware that comes with the device?
2. Would flashing to the current community-maintained build of DD-WRT potentially resolve the issue?
3. Some forums mentioned using "static routing" to force my wireless clients to be aware of the path to my wired clients. Does this sound like a logical resolution?

This post has been cross-posted to dd-wrt.com.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 10:05:03 AM by maximusmmiv »

maximusmmiv

• Calf
Re: WZR-600DHP wireless devices cannot see wired devices
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 05:26:45 PM »
The issue has been resolved, although I'm not sure quite how. I didn't have time to contact Buffalo support until today, so I reverted to my previous router for the past few days. Today when I hooked the WZR-600DHP back up, everything worked fine from first boot up. I then continued on with my additional configurations (static IPs, custom SSIDs/WPA2 keys, web interface configuration, etc) and even after multiple reboots, all of my networked clients--wired and wireless--are able to communicate with each other.

The only theory I have is that I wasn't being patient enough when I was rebooting the router after upgrading the firmware and not all of the caches were clearing. A few days without power cleared them, I guess.

So to those who stumble upon this post in the future who are having these problems: update to the latest Buffalo DD-WRT firmware, factory reset the router, and leave it unplugged for a while (several minutes at least, I would guess). It seems to have resolved my problem. I can't think of any other reason that it started working.