Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH NAS Speed  (Read 2391 times)

andromance

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH NAS Speed
« on: April 15, 2011, 07:11:04 AM »

Hi,

I've bought the WZR-HP-G300NH router about a month ago, and so far, I'm very pleased by its abilities even at stock 1.77 FW (Not DD-WRT).

However, when I use it as NAS (connected to Lacie 500gb usb2 170mbps - 22MB/s) the transfer speed is kind of slow. It is connected to my PC, PS3 and mediaplayer. I'm talking about 40 mbps (5 MB/s) as maximum writing speed. I know the speed of my network is downgraded to 100mbps due to the mediaplayer using just 100mbps Ethernet card. But what I get is just 40% of the available network speed. So what could be wrong here?

Or is this speed normal? if yes, that defeats the purpose of using the NAS function in this router, and then I might be obligated to buy a dedicated NAS to get a reasonable read/write speed.

Regards

Madnick

• Tatanka
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH NAS Speed
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 09:16:35 AM »

Sounds normal to me...

If you buy a NAS, do careful investigation before buying since the transfer speeds on some of them is not that much more.

andromance

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 09:41:20 AM »

For that I have Qnap TS-110 or Synology ds-110j in the next shopping list.

But, will WZR-HP-G300NH support the full gigabyte speed of these NASs (including jumbo frames)? as they were tested and they can easily go above 300mbps (~40MB/s) that's not what I get right now from this router  :) , actually they are more than 8 times faster. So a dedicated NAS is the way to go I guess (despite the xtra cash of course).

I've just read about this limitation on other threads. However, I wouldn't like to close this thread in order to leave potential buyers understand the limitation of this still very good router.

It would be very appreciated if it could support usb printer with stock FW, but that's another great abilities of a dedicated NAS.

Anyway thanks for the answer Nick.

Madnick

• Tatanka
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 10:16:30 AM »

With the stock user friendly firmware it's one of the fastest routers on the market. If that is not enough, then...

DD-WRT makes it crawl, so if speed is what you need, stick with the stock. ;-)

andromance

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 10:27:58 AM »

For that I didn't switch to dd-wrt and feel that it isn't worthing it as the dd-wrt not mature yet (I'm no techy BTW).

The router and its stock FW is ok for what I need (home network).

It's like with all other electronic products out there. Very good HW vs very bad FW. Unless money makers start to look at the devs as real game partners ;-) . Then we will get balanced electronic production IMHO.

Madnick

• Tatanka
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 11:39:09 AM »

So right.

Missing The Good Old Times of the WHR-HP-G54...