Author Topic: Is it possible to reflash WBMR-HP-G300H-DE with WBMR-HP-G300H firmware?  (Read 2876 times)

stevil

• Calf

Hi,

The standard WBMR-HP-G300H is not available in my country.

However the german version WBMR-HP-G300H-DE is.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy a WBMR-HP-G300H-DE and reflash it with the english firmware?

Thanks,

edinburgh

• Calf
Re: Is it possible to reflash WBMR-HP-G300H-DE with WBMR-HP-G300H firmware?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 06:13:07 AM »

i wouldn't as the one you have is meant for the Central European market (annex b), whereas the one you're after should be annex a. There might be differences in hardware (most likely, otherwise there wouldn't be two versions of this router) and so by flashing it with annex a firmware you'll make it unoperational. I've once done it with a linksys router (annex a to annex b), but it didn't work - it ended up being bricked. if you're in the eu, why not get one from amazon.co.uk? it's free delivery in the eu if the cost of the product is above 25 quid.

stevil

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 06:36:42 AM »

Thank you very much, edinburgh!

You just saved me £84 and a lot of frustration. :)

The only other WBMR-HP-G300H I see on amazon.co.uk is sold by a company called Ballicom International.

Unfortunately they only ship within the UK.

It's a shame I can't seem to get this product in the Republic of Ireland.

It looks like an excellent router.

Thanks Again

edinburgh

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 07:10:54 AM »

well, it's not that excellent to tell the truth. i got a wbmr-hp-gnv2 and it's been dropping connections a lot. i'm losing faith in buffalo and their support has gone downhill big time! firmware updates are seldom released. this makes me think that they either have too much faith in their products (and to tell the truth, all products these days have some minor faults - there's no perfect product) or they can't be bothered with support. Dealing with support by email is a pain - one sentence answers, really not solving issues.

anyway, i've got a tp-link 8960n at the moment and it's fab. it doesn't have eco features (that was the main reason i bought the buffalo for) or usb, though. it's awfy cheap and has very good reviews. http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-W8960N-300MBPS-Wireless-connections/dp/B0031SUB4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324732066&sr=8-1

and there's a wbmr-hp-g300h (eu version, i.e. annex a) on amazon by amazon, but despatch is 1 to 3 months. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-Wireless-N-Nfiniti-AirStations-Router/dp/B005584W2E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324732357&sr=8-1 click on new and you'll see it there.

good luck getting your router.

stevil

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 08:33:27 AM »

That TP-link looks very promising.

I kind of like the idea of using open firmware (new dd-wrt build) on the Buffalo but it's not a deal-breaker.

Never thought to click on the "new" link on that Amazon page, sure enough you're right about Amazon also shipping.

Thanks a million.

edinburgh

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 08:58:18 AM »

no worries pal.

you ought to be careful with ddwrt as it's not meant to be for adsl routers normally but cable routers.

as far as i know the first adsl router to be supported by ddwrt is the very wbmr-hp-g300h but someone on this forum said they couldn't use it after as it didn't let them enter vpi and vci details!!! so watch out!

edinburgh

• Calf