Author Topic: WZR-HP-AG300H Transmit power  (Read 52110 times)

blackomegax

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-AG300H Transmit power
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2011, 06:15:23 AM »

I did run those tests. I also made assumtions and felt angry at the product for not seeming to perform as advertised.

Those tests do not include further "tests" againsts OTHER ROUTERS.

Nor real bandwidth tests beyond reported linkrates of a GN and A client.

In Real-World(tm) testing, an AGN client will get about 100 mbit of real bandwidth at 50 feet, as opposed to a broadcom router at 20mw getting 1-2. and 11 at 40mw, and about 40-54 at 100.

suteny0r

• Calf
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2011, 02:54:47 AM »

I just bought an AG300H, it hasn't even arrived yet.

I chose it because I was looking for great hardware on which to run dd-wrt

wish i'd seen this first.

I can still return it upon arrival....

What is the best highpower ABGN router to use with dd-wrt?  what chipsets do they work well with?  obviously not the atheros using madwifi...

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2011, 03:15:43 AM »

Not sure why you'd want to return it, its a great unit, i would go so far as to say the only issue i have with it is the fact that alot of users in general (including myself) don't match up to 28~29dBm that the FCC fillings find. Even still, all my buffalo units outperform any of my broadcom units with not much effort. So i still stick with their products, but i'd like to see the transmit power that OpenWRT can do (with openwrt transmit power is at 26dBm) featured on dd-wrt, there is no reason it shouldn't work on dd-wrt. I praise the work of dd-wrt and have made many donations to the dd-wrt project, but this little milestone issue would be nice to have it resolved.

suteny0r

• Calf
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2011, 03:43:21 AM »

I understand your point of view.

here is mine

I've many years of pleasant dd-wrt experience, on several differnt harware platforms.

I bought the AG300H on the reccommendation of a friend, for it's high power radio and high performance, AND dd-wrt compatibility - even coming that way.

It is abundantly clear, from these 5 pages of discussion that it is NOT an optimal platform for dd-wrt at this time.

What I'm asking is, what other routers offer similar performance (huge amount of ram, fast cpu, high power radios), and use chipsets that dd-wrt works well with? 

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »

broadcom units only.

Sarang

• Calf
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2011, 03:13:32 PM »

I have to agree with buddee, I purchased my ag300n to replace my linksys wrt600n and I am very pleased with the performance.  It can cover my house and lot with no problems.

polinho

• Calf
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2011, 12:24:47 PM »

hi

a bougth this router to get HD streaming rigth over my house

but a thougth that the transmit power was 29dBm so... is almost the same specs than my older router (tplink http://www.tplink.com/en/products/prodetail.aspx?mid=010303010101&id=112TL-WR941ND E-mail to a friend?)

but better coverage and better performance... ovbiusly i will love an extra 9dBm power output!

at the moment... i think it is ok

BuffaloBrian

• BLBeta
  • <Insert car metaphor here>
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2011, 06:38:25 PM »

Please note that there are many variables here.  The legal limit set by the FCC is to never transmit OVER 30 dbm.  To accomplish that, the average power setting will be lower since the peaks must remain under 30 dbm.  The dbm being reported in DD-WRT firmware is NOT the peak power, but the average power setting.  It also doesn't include gain from antennae, etc.  So 20 dbm power setting gets close to peak power of 30 dbm.  It is similar to comparing audio amplifiers and comparing peak power to RMS/average power.

The FCC report logs the peak power measured out of the antennae, not the internal chipset setting.  As some have found, the performance is superior to competitors in real-world testing.  Of course, everyones' mileage may vary, but please also know that since Buffalo HP routers are flirting with the limits of FCC, certain channels have to be detuned additionally to keep peaks down.

Also, spurious emissions outside the band of 2400-2483 have different limits, so lower and higher channels (e.g. CH 1 and 11) have additional requirements for lower power to keep their spurious emissions below the cap.

Center channels will give optimized performance.  Additionally, the nature of Wi-Fi is that 20 MHz will transmit at higher power as well, so to accomplish max power, 20 MHz channels and center channels should be selected.

-Brian

axiomatic

• Calf
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2011, 02:02:16 PM »

So I take it Buffalo is not going to defend this issue in any capacity then other than a short paragraph of text? No empirical analysis? No testing reports of any kind for your paying customers? No report of what is/is not going on here with the disparity of your marketing materials and the real world observance of poor TX power? No screenshot examples to verify what you say is a problem displaying averages of dBm? No code excerpts that back up your words?

Look I am a network engineer by trade. I work L3 product engineering for the largest PC manufacturer on the planet. Were I to respond to my customers with supposition and zero facts like is being purported here I would be in a lot of trouble quickly.

Please help me to continue to be a Buffalo Technology advocate. I want to work with you to prove this issue wrong and feel good about the $450 I sepnt on 2x WZR-HP-AG300H? and 1x WZR-HP-G300NH? to replace two older DLink DIR-855's which by reading your marketing material should not even be able to hold a candle to one of the WZR-HP-AG300H?.

Come on guys... rise to the occasion... defend the honor of your product.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2011, 08:36:31 PM »

the hardware cannot do 29dbm, what the fcc detected was transient peaks, mostly noise. this router has no more than 19-20dbm of tx power.

only hardware that can go higher than this is professional stuff such as ubiquiti hardware.

there is no advertisment of buffalo website to state the actual tx power output of the device. they hope people will be confused by what the fcc reports show and buy the products on that basis.

axiomatic

• Calf
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2011, 10:33:17 AM »

I dont think I asked for 29 dBm? I'm just looking for it to outperform a much older competing product. Currently, it doesn't and marketing misdirection aside, it should. I've spent $450 on a WAP solution that can't outperform a 3 year old product from a competitor.

Gingernut

• Calf
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2011, 04:48:50 PM »

If anybodys interested Tim at Smallnetbuilder has just published a review for this unit, it was beat in 2.4/5GHz band wireless range/throughput by nearly all the other tested wireless routers which aren't 'High Power' and also had quite a few problems using DD-Wrt so had to revert to Buffalo's friendly firmware for the tests.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31521-buffalo-wzr-hp-ag300h-reviewed

1oldguy

• Calf
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2011, 10:06:36 AM »

I have been monitoring the signal strength of the Buffalo and my existing D-Link that are sitting inches away from each other --- using KisMAC  0.2.99 on a PPC Apple laptop. (Note, the laptop is only capable of the lower frequency--- so I am unable to report the second frequency comparison)

The Buffalo is showing 10 points higher on instantaneous, average, and max  power after a 24 hour monitoring session.  In the graph mode, the Buffalo strength is double the D-Link.

KingJL

• Tatanka
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2011, 05:45:29 PM »

Gingernut wrote:

If anybodys interested Tim at Smallnetbuilder has just published a review for this unit, it was beat in 2.4/5GHz band wireless range/throughput by nearly all the other tested wireless routers which aren't 'High Power' and also had quite a few problems using DD-Wrt so had to revert to Buffalo's friendly firmware for the tests.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/31521-buffalo-wzr-hp-ag300h-reviewed

Finally the word is getting out into the public domain.  Our complaints to Buffalo tech and to dd-wrt have been in-effective in achieving a positive response.  Now the outside world will resonate with the dd-wrt failures resulting in an impact of market share.  This is not an individual user that can be dissmissed as someone who does not know how to properly set up the router.  That may get some action!!!  What a shame... the Buffalo hardware is well engineered and works well with OpenWrt.  The dd-wrt issue is not just with Buffalo units;  It applies to all of the current generation of atheros (ar7100/7200-ar92xx) based routers.  DD-WRT's developer, chris, is trying to address the issue, but appears to not yet have the full support/backing of dd-wrt management.

rapsure

• Calf
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2011, 01:40:02 PM »

Gingernut wrote:

I read through the review and some of the tests I found to be what I got too. However the alpha firmware 17135? gives me 20Mbps higher than the factory firmware. The AP gives better performance for Wi-Fi G devices too with firmware DD-WRT 17135.