Author Topic: Adding a WHR-HP-GN as a wireless access point to my current network based on a WZR-HP-G300NH  (Read 1686 times)

SimonSez

• Calf

I have a small office with two floors. On the first floor I have a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH and it acts as the router/gateway for the entire office. Connected to that is a 24-port switch and all of the wired computers go to that. Everything is working great but the wireless signal on the second floor is low because we have a concrete floor between the floors. So I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-GN with the DD-WRT firmware and I would like to use it as an access point on the second floor. I have a spare network outlet available upstairs that the WHR-HP-GN can be plugged into. So the actual connection would be Cable Modem -> WZR-HP-G300NH -> 24-port switch -> WHR-HP-GN.

I tried reading up on how to do this on the DD-WRT website but it does not seem to be working. What is the proper term used for this setup? Is it a wireless access point or wireless bridge?

I can't use WDS because it is not supported in the DD-WRT firmware so this will need to be set up manually. Can someone point me to a website that explains how to do this?

nhanquy

• Calf

Plug the spare outlet to the WAN port of the WHR-HP-GN. Set the WHR-HP-GN up as an AP.

I think it should work.

A wrieless bridge is better but you said you don't have much signal on the 2nd floor!

Found this and I think this is what you need.