Author Topic: How to setup WCR-GN in bridge mode on existing network?  (Read 24897 times)

weedbob

• Calf
How to setup WCR-GN in bridge mode on existing network?
« on: April 01, 2011, 12:50:09 PM »

I have an existing network in my home. I want to plug the WCR-GN into an ethernet outlet in a spare room, and use it to extend the reach of my wired and wireless network.

So I'm pretty sure I want to set up the WCR-GN in the bridge mode. The user manual only provides instructions on how to set it up in router or WDS mode, but I don't think either of those are correct for what I want to do. The tech support at Buffalo wouldn't support me over the phone, unless I went out and bought a Buffalo router. They said they wouldn't help me connect the WCR-GN to a non-Buffalo router/network.Strange.

The manual isn't clear about how to go about the configuration for the bridge mode. I'm confused about the section that says to change my adapter settings on the PC, then change them back - I fear this will screw up my existing network connections from my existing router.

Can anyone help me with the configuration steps necessary to make the WCR-GN work in the bridge mode on my existing network? If more info is needed, I can supply.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: How to setup WCR-GN in bridge mode on existing network?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:10:14 PM »

The tech over the phone was correct. It's not that he or she did not want to help you, it's that it cannot be done. WDS on our units require that you use another buffalo router that supports WDS with this unit. 

weedbob

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 08:16:52 PM »

So....how do I set it up in the bridge mode? It should work with an ethernet cable plugged into the LAN port?

Can anyone help with this setup?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 09:37:14 PM »

If you want to set it up as a wired bridge all you have to do is plug in the ethernet cable and flip the switch to off.

weedbob

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 02:44:08 PM »

Thanks but, there is no switch on the WCR-GN. Anything else that might work?

TIA, you seem very knowledgeable.

astan

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 05:23:13 AM »

Plug your computer into a LAN port on the WCR-GN.

Go to 192.168.11.1 in your web browser.

User name is "root"  password is blank (no password) just hit OK after putting in root

You should be in Setup tab.  Under Mode Information, click the Bridge Mode circle and click on Apply.

User name is "root" hit OK

click on Wireless Config tab.

click on WDS sub tab

on WDS click on use box, screen will expand.

click on search

click the circle of the row of  the ssid of your network, then click select

put in your passkey if any, click apply

unplug your computer from the WCR-GN.  Wait 10 seconds, plug back in.  You should get a new IP address and be connected to your network.

weedbob

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 01:39:53 PM »

Thanks!

I did that, but when I clicked WDS, it couldn't "see" my existing wireless, the signal is too weak in the area. It's currently working in the Bridge/AP mode, and it assigns an IP on the wired connection to the WCR, and I have it working under its default SSID. So, I'm getting signal!

Next trick, I'm going to try to get it to work under the same SSID as the main network.

lubrik

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 02:53:40 PM »
perfect and simple. thanks.

waldopepper

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 06:14:28 PM »
Can users then connect wirelessly to this (the second router) in the network - and then with the remainder of the network and the internet. Or must they be wired?

waldopepper

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 05:31:45 AM »

I answered my own question by successfully incorporating my wcr-gn-r into my wireless router network. The short answer is that YES the wcr-gn-r will dole out ip addresses both wirelessly and to wired clients when it is set as a secondary router wirelessly bridged to another primary router (which is acting as the sole dhcp server for the entire network).

I have three routers running one network in the house. Router 1 is a d-link model DIR-655. Router 2 is an old Linksys WRT54G with firmware updated by DD-WRT. Router 3 is now the Buffalo wcr-gn-r.

Router 2 can only communicate at 'G' speeds. While Router 3 is connected at 'N' speed. Sadly due to wireless overhead there is no improvement over he old Linksys. I surmised this would be the case, but it is nice to confirm it. So anyone else out there thinking that going to the trouble and expense of installing a newer Router will improve the throughput - take it from me don't bother. Buy an old blue linksys from craigslist or ebay or somewhere like that. Toss on DD-WRT and that should do nicely.

totok

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 03:00:42 AM »

I have one existing routers running one network in my house. Router 1 is a old Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS with firmware updated by DD-WRT. Additional Router 2 is now the Buffalo WCR-GN.

I did the tab config for Wireless Config and Sub Tab WDS connected with the Linksys.

But I can not access the internet yet.

What should I do to check ?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 10:32:38 AM »

totok wrote:

I have one existing routers running one network in my house. Router 1 is a old Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS with firmware updated by DD-WRT. Additional Router 2 is now the Buffalo WCR-GN.

I did the tab config for Wireless Config and Sub Tab WDS connected with the Linksys.

But I can not access the internet yet.

What should I do to check ?

And the IP addresses of the 2 units are?!

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

mynoombies

• Calf
Range Extender
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 07:34:26 AM »

I'm sorry I'm not overly technical.  I bought this Airstation with the hope that it would broadcast my wireless signal under the same SSID upstairs but with a stronger signal (now i have a different SSID when I'm downstairs and upstairs and it's giving me trouble).  Is there a way to use this Airstation as a range extender and use the same SSID as the main router? How do I configure that?

Thanks

Josh

patnshan

• Calf
Re: Range Extender
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 11:08:30 AM »

Very sorry to Hijack this thread, but am wondering if this unit would be a good complement as a wired WAP for a my WZR-HP-G450H or if I should be looking for something else to complement that.
Thanks,
Pat