Author Topic: trying to change SSID name and security (G300N)  (Read 3708 times)

spartacus33

• Calf
trying to change SSID name and security (G300N)
« on: March 16, 2011, 10:13:29 PM »

I just spent several hours setting up my G300N.

I went with the default SSID name.  How do I change it safely?

I would also like to change my security to WEP.  How do I do that safely?

I did change these earlier today... but then my laptop couldn't reconnect to my router... so I'm a little scared.

Thanks,

SP

spartacus33

• Calf
Re: trying to change SSID name and security (G300N)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »

OK... I was able to change the SSID name by simply going into the router settings:  http://...blah blah blah....

I was NEVER asked a password!  All I want to do is set a password so that I can connect other devices to the router such as my smartphone and Roku box.  How do I set a password?

The security is currently set to WPA/WPA2 PSK.  I was having issues staying connected with my phone (wifi).  I talked to the Verizon guy and he suggested I switch my router to WEP.

So.......... I'd like to know how to switch to WEP and set a passord.  Please help.

Thanks,

SP

spartacus33

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 02:33:48 PM »

Anyone?

After searching the other posts on this site... I see that I'm not the only one with password change issues.  Apparently tech support is TERRIBLE!  Wish I had known that before throwing my money away.

I actually put this G300N back in the box and hooked up my old Linksys router last night.  This will be the last item I buy from Buffalo.

m4p

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 07:20:30 PM »

Hi Sparticus,

Is there any specific reason the Verizon guy said to use WEP?  It's not as secure as WPA/AES.  Also, I believe you need security to be WPA/AES for you to benefit from the N speed.  Can you log into the router's web page?  If so, I believe under Basic Settings, then there should be a tab for Security.  I don't have your particular router so you may have to hunt around a bit to find security setting.  Since you say you already set up security, you should have set up a passkey at that time.  That is the passkey (password) that your wireless clients will need to have input into their settings in order to connect with the router.

spartacus33

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 09:35:11 PM »
The verizon guy just said wep might be easier to connect to. I looked all over that security tab and could not find a place to set a passphrase. Granted my initial setup 6 months ago I did see it as I did have a passphrase. After resetting the router to factory settings I cannot for the life of me find a place to enter passphrase. As a result I went back to my linksys router. I'm using wpa security.

m4p

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 09:31:38 AM »

That is weird.  Sometimes the phrase "key" is used instead of password.

spartacus33

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 09:46:18 AM »
Well I gave it a few days to cool off and managed to hook it up with WEP no problem.

spartacus33

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 10:14:37 AM »
After checking my phone connection status.. I see that I'm only running at 54 mbps... where before when I had it set to WPA I was running at 65 mbps. Could I be running g instead of n? Any suggestions before I start poking around in my router settings?

spartacus33

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 11:09:14 AM »
Anyone know if what m4p says is true. I have to be set to WPA/AES to achieve 65 mbps?

John_M

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 11:15:33 AM »

spartacus33 wrote:
Anyone know if what m4p says is true. I have to be set to WPA/AES to achieve 65 mbps?

Wireless "N" protocol requires WPA; with WEP you drop back to "G".

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 06:47:33 PM »

Not only is it true, seems to be a BIG typo running around here, you have to use WPA2 with AES only for N spec.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 06:58:52 AM »

buddee wrote:

Not only is it true, seems to be a BIG typo running around here, you have to use WPA2 with AES only for N spec.

That it in conjunction with the N standard, not just Buffalo.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

jackieoneal

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 06:56:04 PM »

how do i change my ssid