Author Topic: E14: Cannot mount RAID array 1  (Read 12156 times)

johan

• Calf
E14: Cannot mount RAID array 1
« on: September 19, 2008, 01:44:11 PM »

Originally, our first TeraStation Pro II 4TB encountered an issue loading the kernel and it would only boot into emergency mode. Buffalo sent a replacement chassis and drives, and I swapped all 4 old drives in the new chassis. Same issue.

After troubleshooting, I removed Drive 1 flashed the firmware and the unit booted into normal mode successfully.

After getting it to boot, I replaced Drive 1 with Drive 1 from the new Terastation and was able to login to the web admin and set the array to rebuild. This completed successfully, and the unit worked well up until this month.

So far it has randomly crashed 3 times this month with the error: "E14: Cannot mount RAID array 1" Power cycling the unit corrects this, but I'd like to resolve the issue before it dies again completely.

Anyone seen this before?

Thank you!

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: E14: Cannot mount RAID array 1
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 02:22:52 PM »
I would force flash the firmware again, after its done go to maintenance and set the unit back to factory default.  This should solve your issues.

mickster73

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 09:36:41 AM »
   i am experiencing the same problem with my 1 TB Terastation. How do you force flash?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 11:52:15 AM »

please take a look at this link.

Firmware Force 

mickster73

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 12:12:33 AM »

ok I actually saw this and managed to force flash the device (after several failed attempts to use TFTP Boot Recovery).

The device successfully force flashed...I'm still getting the E14 error. I also went to maintanence and reset to factory defaults.

Shall I remove one drive and force flash again, then put the drive back in?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 09:49:09 AM »
Try removing just one drive, see if you can access it then save a new file to it.  When you put that drive back in it will ask you to restructure it again. 

mickster73

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 09:56:25 AM »
   tried that...still gives me the E14 error...thoughts?

mickster73

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 10:01:52 AM »

i forgot to mention: when I put the drive back in, it gave me:

E14

I12

(and a faulty drive error code)

Once I restructured, the 2nd and 3rd errors went away, but E14 still remained. i removed drive 2 this morning and is in the process of restructuring now.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 10:43:29 AM »

OK let me know ill see what else can be done if this fails

mickster73

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 10:53:33 AM »

so I've read in other posts that removing drives one at a time and restructuring can fix this...what is being fixed by removing, replacing and restructuring?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 11:48:03 AM »
The boot sector of the hard drive.

mickster73

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 10:37:19 PM »

it failed. Just finished removing--> replacing-->then restructure array for each hard drive and still getting E14 error.

what else can be done?

mickster73

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 12:11:37 AM »

Update:

I called tech support tonight and they were pretty helpful. I went ahead and blew away the array and am currently creating a new one. Doing that has removed the E14 error. Good thing I had my really important data backed up on a separate external HD (used for disaster recovery...like this!). I'm not brave enough to go into the Linux environment of my Live and hack around and risk turning the device into a brick.

Realization: I never had a fighting chance because both the LCD display and the web interface both couldn't detect how much disk space was being used. That's usually sign that things were beyond repair.

Paul I do appreciate your help through this ordeal. I think it's time that I invest in a UPS to avoid this the next time my power goes out. (or i'll just be proactive and power it down before the next big wind storm)

thanks