Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300-NH-Recomended Firmware  (Read 7260 times)

Cantenna

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300-NH-Recomended Firmware
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:28:23 AM »

Greetings! Been a big fan of Buffalo for years.

Comming from Whp54G.

Picked up the wzr-hp-g300ns the other day. Came pre-loaded with a jan 2010 build of dd-wrt pre installed.

Eventually after trying many builds of DD-WRT I Tftp the origional 1.74 buffalo firmware back on which out of all the various dd-wrt and buffalo firmwares I tried was the only firmware that mantained a 40 wave length and 300 mbps mode.

On 1.74 my connection strength varies from 80mbps - 150 mbps (different on different laptops in same location. Odd though that upon initial connection i can connect at 270 mbps and it slowly drops.

DD-WRT reported under diagnostic that my rate was 150mbps but my actuall laptops was only ever able to connect at a rate of 54 mbps and from time to time may go up to 65 mps. I tried Super Channel but that does not work with the client cards i have.

P.s i use a cable modem for the internet.

Questions i have are:

is this router programed to throttle connection speed based on demand?

what is the best fw availible to acheive 300 mbps as a goal. From reading it appears to be 1.74 buff -is maintaining 300 mbps connection maintainible, realistic expectation for this router and other routers? -

Why do owners of this router use DD-WRT? Is it because feature outweighs speed?

-Gargoyale and OpenWRT anyone tried it?

Recomended webui for this router and openwrt?

Can i Tftp back to buff fw from openwrt or is it more complicated.

does Brian Slayer have any plans on beefing up speed on a dd-wrt fw for this router?

Thanks to all who post and comment. regards,

anewkirk

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300-NH-Recomended Firmware
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:13:51 PM »

So far Buffalo v1.74 has given me the best wireless performance.

OpenWRT is stable and works well for me, but the wireless performance is not as good as 1.74  .

DD-WRT has not worked well for me at all - especially the wireless performance. A guy on the DD-WRT forums posted screenshots of an upcoming Buffalo branded v16262 which I would love to try, but so far I have been unable to obtain a copy. Very much looking forward to trying this one.

You can tftp to & from stock/Openwrt/DD-Wrt with no problems at all.

Cantenna

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 05:32:25 PM »

Awesome reply. Thanx

Does your network maintain 300mbps or is the norm to fluctuate?

What are your speeds?

Cantenna

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 05:38:30 PM »

also what web ui do you use or do you use the default?

anewkirk

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 05:59:32 PM »

I usually get 300mbps but there are times when it drops down to 150mbps. My area is full of wifi signals so those may be causing some issues. I really need to try running inssider soon to find out if I need to pick new channels (the Auto Channel thing is pretty much useless as it never picks the best channels to use).

For some reason tho, dd-wrt does not let me get above 65mbps - and it drops connections on me every few hours.

OpenWRT give me a constant 150mbps with little or no tweaking. Strangely enough i set up this same router for my brother-in-law using OpenWRT and he gets a solid 300mbps - but he lives in a area where there are no "other" wifi signals.

P.S. - If any of you folks at Buffalo are willing to let me test dd-wrt 16262 or higher please feel free to shoot me a link. I would love to try this out!

kamiller42

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 07:07:29 PM »

New version? Thank God. It can't get here soon enough. I hope it has corrected the wireless problems.

Cantenna

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 08:50:29 PM »
Thanks! Maybe. Good to know

Nogsx3

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 04:22:59 AM »

Can you post a link to the posting on DD-WRT forum for screenshots of v16262 ? thanks

anewkirk

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 02:15:42 PM »

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51532&start=754

You must be logged in to see the screenshots for some reason.

Nogsx3

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 06:36:55 AM »

Thanks ! Hope they release it soon

glenb7

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 04:15:06 PM »

i just got this router when newegg had it for 60 dollars. after fooling around with the 3 available firmwares, by far the openwrt works best for me. i am using the most recent snapshot build. the driver uses the ath9k vs the madwifi used by dd-wrt. the wireless seems very stable, but i don't leave any wireless on all the time, but it has been connected for 8-9 hours at a time with no drops; i live in congested 90 unit building in 600 unit complex, the driver will not allow the 40mhz setting, so i can only connect at 65mbs, but it is stable and solid. was using asus rt-16, with tomato and wireless not as stable. setup takes a long time on openwrt, but have usb attached and installed transmission and many other  programs to the usb drive - all works well, transmission works much better than in rt-16 and has not crashed at all. i did find that the qos does not seem to work with l7 layer (for voip) and had to make adjustments, but i believe it is working well, at least i can see the packets are being marked correctly. hopefully as time goes by the newer builds of the ath9k will solve the wireless problems that have been reported all over the place on this chipset.

does anyone know if changing the country code will let the driver allow the 40mhz width. i am set to united states, which allows for a high db setting of 27 and delivers 500mw of power, and the strength is very strong on my connections.

overall i am happy with the openwrt once tweaked, but would really like to connect at full 'n' rates.

slyfox

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 06:30:12 PM »

I would also try out any new dd-wrt firmware as I'm having all sorts of strange problems with my existing (14998) version.  I would also be willing to provide feedback and some measure of diagnostics.

kamiller42

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 07:54:10 PM »

Can anyone "in the know" drop a hint as to when the new Buffalo DD-WRT will be released?

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 06:00:41 AM »

Most likely the last week of March, it will be released whenever the wzr-hp-ag300n is out for sale in the US, which is slated for the last week of March, but to be honest here, there is no telling.

Also, in some aspects, the longer the better, because so many users have apparent "issues" with it, the delay will hopefully give the dev team time to work out the bugs.