Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH dropping wireless connections  (Read 6154 times)

hankcho

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH dropping wireless connections
« on: February 25, 2011, 01:43:02 PM »

Anyone having the same problem?

My newly bought WZR-HP-G300NH dropping wireless connections from my computers(dell notebooks, iphone, void phones..)

Then I have to reset it by unplugging power source and plug back in.

Router: WZR-HP-G300NH

Firmware: DD-WRT v24SP2-EU-US (08/19/10) std which came with the router.

ISP: Charter.com Cable

I am using the wireless security mode of WPA Personal TKIP+AES, if it matters.

Should I return the router to Amazon for replacement? Or could it be resolved somehow?

Thanks for helps.

Hank

Madnick

• Tatanka
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH dropping wireless connections
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 03:56:16 PM »

Yes, return it.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »

You should first try switching it to WPA2 with AES only, see if that helps.

darrinbutts

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:49:50 PM »

I've had these wifi dropping problems for a long time, and had many similar suggestions.  It doesn't seem to be much related to the settings, and it happens with the stock firmware, DD-Wrt, as well as the unsupported openWrt as well.  

I've tried dozens of different settings suggested by threads on forums here at Buffalo and DD-Wrt, and none that I've tried seem to help.

I think there are bigger issues at hand with this router.

hankcho

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 09:11:27 AM »

Thanks for helps.

I bought it with a great expectation since it came with dd-wrt firmware.

After I read other threads regarding wireless connection problems, I am returning it when I can.

gem

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 06:05:21 PM »

Same problem, seems the only solution being offered is to return and find another router.  Note, my Linksys WRT-54G with DD-WRT V3.1 micro, had the same problem.  I think there must be a strong connection to the firmware here. I am surprised this issue has not been fixed.  

The problem is also documented in the DD-WRT forum, and occurs on multiple routers, with a wide range of firmware releases.  Not, a good indication of product quality. 

So, what do businesses who run reliable Hotspot really use?

nhanquy

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 01:41:13 AM »

I am using WPA TKIP+AES. Stock Buffalo DD-WRT with Samba, Transmission.

So far, there is no problem with Wifi.

maddhadder71

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:04:53 PM »

I just bought this same router and have the same exact issue. I followed this guide and created a script that will ping a wireless client on your network and if after two failed attempts it will restart the wireless interface.

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-G300NH#Fix_for_WiFi_Dropouts

I think the problem lives with the wireless N, I have read people disabling wireless N and it seems to fix the issue.

Shame on buffalo to release a product that has a known issue like this.

LeavittM

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 02:06:24 PM »

I was losing my wireless connection once every hour and noticed that the "Rekey interval:" was set to 60 minutes. I set it to 0 and the wireless runs perfectly.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 04:31:38 PM »

Use WPA2-AES and try setting ack timing to 0 (auto).

I've had my WZR since October 09 and hasn't once dropped a connection with stock firmware or DD-WRT, even with N.

sspeed

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 09:50:04 AM »

Have any of you that have problems with drops gone to the trouble of loading inSSIDer up on your laptop and walked around to check network saturation of your wireless channels?  Have you shut 40mhz wide off?  Are you using only 1-6-11 for your channels?

I have a WZR-HP-G300NH and have installed them for about a half dozen others with no problems.... Reliable wireless just takes a little analysis and planning...

Here's a good article to get you started...

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/31190-when-wireless-lans-collide-how-to-beat-the-wireless-crowd?

mephron

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 09:40:40 PM »

I've done that (AirRadar 2 instead of inSSIDer, as I use a Mac, not a windows device).

Mine still drops to nearly-unusuable levels, to the point that we have an old laptop whose entire job is to sit attached to an ethernet port and let us reboot the router.  

We have no other networks nearby (even with AirRadar 2 and a packet-sniffer checking), I've hard-set the channel to 6, and the channel width is set to Full (20 Mhz).  We're using WPA2-TKIP encryption, although I may be experimenting with TKIP+AES at some point.

I had a Buffalo technical support agent tell me to go to the simple firmware.  I can stop these periods where my wireless network drops to nearly nothing (as in average ping, to our provider's homepage through a wireless connection, of 2034 ms) by flashing the firmware.  On the simple firmware, it managed to keep things going long enough to get it out of my 'I can return it to the store' period, and now I'm waiting for Buffalo to actually respond to my RMA request (which went to them at 3 AM Monday morning, 5 AM their time, and has not yet received any response at all).

I'm currently on hold about this with Buffalo, at 47 minutes and waiting and no response.  The support issues are not particularly reassuring.

sspeed

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 11:49:10 AM »

That's not good, that definitely sounds like a hardware issue... Our baby monitor also causes interference, but not router lock ups...

tcrichton

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 12:30:23 AM »

Going to try the WPA2+AES tip with Rekey set to 0...

Fingers crossed that'll sort it...

Thanks for the advice,

Tristan.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 06:08:04 AM »

try the nw firmware they released. its working very well.