Author Topic: "The specified network name is no longer available". Terastation Pro II Rackmount  (Read 17399 times)

Jason

• El Toro
It's unlikely that two different TS's give you the exact same error, making me think it's not an issue with the TS itself per se. If you're having issues with the unit dropping connections, you would want to try different switches, etc. Ultimately, try a direct LAN connection transfer some substantial data to it and see what happens. And yes, sometimes anti-virus can cause problems. If it does give you problems, boot the workstation into safe mode w/networking and attempt the transfer again to rule out all other variables.

chainmail

• Calf

Are you serious?

I have nothing better to do than contact this forum and wait for responses.

of course I have tried multiple known good switches, known good cross over cables, etc...

(please see previous posts)

If you have an enterprise device that cannot accept backups, and data transfers, I cannot use it.

How could Anti-virus affect a backup/data transfer?

The TS runs on Unix firmware.

Can you please give me an example of an Antivirus product that is known to cause "problems" on a Buffalo TS. Give me something to work with.  What settings could be affecting this device's connectivity?

Safe mode.  What will that accomplish?

If the device accepts a data transfer using Windows Safemode?  Then what?

I should back up my Exchange, Citrix, Fileserver in safemode?

Jason

• El Toro

I'm quite serious.

Try it with a direct connection. 

And yes, I have seen things like norton's, symantec, avg etc, sever an smb connection to our NAS's before and disabling them has resulted in a flawless transfer. 

Alternatively, you can try using it with FTP and see if it gives you the same problem, and see if your problem is connecting via SMB specifically. 

IF you can backup data to it in safe mode, then that means that something that's normally running the background or some other incedental service that otherwise would be running is causing you problems. That'll help you narrow down your problem, that is the purpose of safe mode after all. 

And as always if you don't like a suggestion you certainly don't have to try it. But this is a board and you're asking for advice and I'm providing it.

Message Edited by Jason on 04-13-2009 11:55 AM

chainmail

• Calf

I appreciate the suggestions, as the phone support requires 45-60 minute wait on hold.

I am hearing a lot of "suggestions"

What about solutions?

What if my brand of anti-virus is not compatible with your Storage solution?

What if my network set up does not work with your device?

Are there Antivirus programs that do not sever network connections to Buffalo TS's?

If FTP works in my Windows domain, are there services that can be modified or reconfigured to work?

I just tried a brand new laptop Windows XP SP3, latest updates.  Not joined to our domain.  Not subject to domain policies or restrictions.  Connected with an x-over cable.  Booted the laptop.  Laptop would not start.  Removed ethernet, bluescreen.  Now the laptop does not start.  safeboot.sys is missing or corrupt.  I am concerned this may hapen with one of my servers.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
This is a tech support forum. We can only provide suggestions until a solution is found. You want answers and yet pose more questions. If there are suggestions that don't work tell us what happens. We would suggest something else until it gets taken care of or there is a breakthrough. It's unfortunate to hear that happen to a fresh install on XP, however it doesn't help us if the variables keep changing in your configuration. We don't know your network or system configuration as well as you do. Getting back to the laptop, unless your laptop was instructed to try and boot off of the NAS or something of that nature then the system corruption wouldn't have come from it. I have never heard of something like this happening in a server environment before so I honestly don't think our NAS (which is only able to interface through a network connection) would cause something such as safeboot.sys to go missing.

Matt_M

• Buffalo
Tech support is working with this customer via email and phone.  If the suggestions given do not resolve the issue then we will try to replicate his isue here for a better analysis.  We will post more when we have more information concerning this case.

jdpeters79

• Calf

I would like to know, was this issue ever solved?  I am having an extremely similar problem with a NAS drive at my office, and was considering replacing it with a TS II.  However after reading this I am thinking it's not a problem with my NAS drive but some sort of Windows setting.  Any info on the solution would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

chainmail

• Calf

The first Terastation was demonstrating errors copying data.  I received a refurb unit.  Same errors.  Replaced with brand new unit, and have never looked back.  The unit is working flawless.  Integrated with Microsoft Active Directory.  Shares and permissions.  I have mapped everyone's share drives in their log in profles.

I must have had 2 bad units.

jdpeters79

• Calf
   Interesting.  Thanks for the information.