Author Topic: "The specified network name is no longer available". Terastation Pro II Rackmount  (Read 17401 times)

chainmail

• Calf

TS Pro II Rackmount TS-RH2.0TGL/R5. 

Try to back up to, or copy large files error

"Cannot copy (filename): The specified network name is no longer available". 

Latest firmware. 1.33 no change. 

Servers are all Win 2003 R2, Mac OSX 10.4, or XP SP3.  Same error

Message Edited by chainmail on 03-04-2009 10:39 AM

Colin137

• Big Bull
Try mapping or connecting via the IP address of the terastation, instead of the hostname.

chainmail

• Calf

Thank you

I spoke to Tim at your phone support.

I tried IP address and computer name.

I have been set up to RMA this machine.

Big_Si_Owen

• Calf

What router are you using?

I've been getting this same issue with my Terastation Live when recently trying to transfer 250gb / 10's of thousands of files around my network. It worked absolutely fine when I was connected directly to the NAS but kept giving that error when wired / wireless through the router so I think that's where MY weak link is. I have the BT Home Hub 2.0... Am investigating what I can find out from them...

chainmail

• Calf

I have a Cisco PIX 501 Firewall 10/100.

Dlink DGS 1024D, DGS1224T switches. Both are gigabit, 24 port.

For kicks I tried Linksys SD2008 (10/100/1000) and Dlink DSS-8+ (10/100) both 8 port.

I tried cross over cable, straight through as well.

What firmware are you running?

Big_Si_Owen

• Calf

Ah, fair enough. 

I'm using the most recent Home Hub 2.0 (8.1.A.E) and Terastation Live (2.14) Firmwares. 

chainmail

• Calf

I received my replacement Terastation.

It came with Firmware 1.30 instead of the 1.26

Same error, the tera station disapears while copying files, or backing up to it.

I updated to firmware 1.33

Exact same issue.

I have ensure all my computers are mapped to the TS using IP address not host name.

I tested host name as well, same error.

This has been going on for a while, I can't do this anymore.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
On your PCs is file/print sharing enabled? Secondly, if this is happening on the Mac make sure that the Network Drives option is enabled in the Finder Preferences.

chainmail

• Calf

Windows 2003 Standard Servers R2

Windows XP Pro SP3

5 servers are virtual on ESX, 5 are physical

I have tried copying files, and running backups using Paragon Disk backup, and native MS NTBackup.

Before I run any task on the terastation, I creat and rename a folder on the Terastation

This ensures there is no permission or connectivity issue.

Of course File and printer sharing is enabled, or I would not be able to map drives to the TeraStation.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Strange times. Sorry about that I guess my eyes skipped that in your post. If you've RMA'd the unit I would just wait until you get the replacement. Could be a bad NAS :robotsad:
Message Edited by Colin137 on 04-09-2009 09:19 PM

chainmail

• Calf
   "I received my replacement Terastation.

It came with Firmware 1.30 instead of the 1.26"

Indicates that I have already received my Terastation replacement.

I contacted Support after flashing the bios on the replacement unit.

Same error.

Support gave me a case number and told me they have no idea why their product cannot store data.

Thanks for replying, your suggestions are more helpful than the 60 minutes spent on the phone...

Dustrega

• Big Bull
I'm probably being ridiculous in thinking this but are you using the same network cable that the previous NAS was on? If not did you try a different network port on the switch/router?

chainmail

• Calf
   Dlink DGS 1024D, DGS1224T switches. Both are gigabit, 24 port.

For kicks I tried Linksys SD2008 (10/100/1000) and Dlink DSS-8+ (10/100) both 8 port.

I tried cross over cable, straight through as well.

~~From Previous post~~

========================================

The first thing I tried was replace the cat?? cable that came with the unit

That cable was unsheilded, untwisted (BTW what was that cable???)

I have tried different switches, different ports, different cables,...

The TeraStation is supposed to be a professional network storage device;

it should not matter how, or to what I connect to.  It should just work.

I have tried known good x-over cables connected to a server or laptop, same failure.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
You're right about the device should just work which is why I'm starting to think that it's not the device. Could be countermeasure software, IP filtering being enabled, etc. There is something on your computer that isn't liking the NAS.

chainmail

• Calf

There are no counter measures, unless antivirus and antispam are considered countermeasures.

We have some Virtual servers, some physical.  Windows 2003 Domain.  Single Forest.

I have tried a server that is not in the domain (workgroup).

The TS is in the domain.

If you can suggest a setting or configuration that might cause this device to drop connection 75-90% of the time I would love to hear about it.  I cannot trust any device that is below 25% reliability with our data.

I would be willing to try almost anything (and already have) toget this device working.  I have purchased it, I am stuck with it.  I have tried the manuals, generally accepted best practices, and called buffalo support (support-techs.com) and have not yet had any success.

Message Edited by chainmail on 04-13-2009 09:54 AM