Author Topic: WHR 300n v2 - Bridging  (Read 2541 times)

mschrier

• Calf
WHR 300n v2 - Bridging
« on: February 23, 2011, 07:55:26 PM »

I'm kind of a newbie, but I bought this router to act as a wireless bridge to my existing wifi network.  I have a Netgear WNR 834B v2 - which I believe supports WDS bridging.  I set-up the "network repeating" configuration in the netgear router, and I attempted to set-up the buffalo router accourding to the instructions.  In enter the Netgear's MAC address as the master AP. (When I do a search no APs are found - so that makes me suspicious).

One of the main problems I face is that when I switch the router to "bridge" mode, after a minute or two the LAN IP address of my laptop becomes 169.254.146.169, and I cannot access the router's setup page at 192.168.11.100.  Pinging fails as well. (In Router mode the laptop gets a good IP address and I can bring up the router configuration page).

Is there some trick to get this unit set-up to talk to my Netgear router?  Are they even compatible? (i.e. is WDS a standard technology now)?

Thanks in advance

- Matt

buddee

• Big Bull
Re: WHR 300n v2 - Bridging
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 08:09:06 PM »

May not be compatible, AFAIK mixing chips doesn't work well with WDS, and no, WDS is not, nor probably wont be a standard due to that fact alone. To become standardized would mean it would have to work with any chipset configs, and since mixing doesn't work well (i have read VERY few stories of success in dd-wrt with WDS mixing of chips, when asked to show screen shots, the user that makes the claims always seems to magically vanish...hmmm)

I personally have tried mixing and it doesn't work with WDS, now you can set it up as a client mode repeater using dd-wrt.

The netgear you have is a broadcom unit, if you intend on keeping it your main AP, i would suggest another broadcom device to go along with it. The Buffalo you bought is an Atheros unit, so whichever you keep as the main AP i would match chips to follow suite. But remember, as i said, you can still link them, just probably not with WDS.

mschrier

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 08:25:17 PM »

When you say I can link them, do you mean wirelessly?   I don't care whether it's WDS or something else, as long as its a wireless connection.  If so, then I'm not sure how to do that. I only see "WDS" in the buffalo router.

I bought this router without doing my research.  So maybe I'll have to return it and eat the return shipping to Amazon.

mschrier

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:27:38 PM »

Note: I updated the firmware to the latest version (1.82)

Also, what really bothers me is that when I set the router for bridging mode (with the switch) my laptop LAN connection does not get an IP address, and I cannot open the router configuration page.  Maybe the router is not working properly, or I'm doing something wrong.

mschrier

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 09:04:20 PM »

OK - so now I know what dd-wrt is.  If I can't get the buffalo router to work I'll probably return it and buy a compatible netgear access jellybeans>

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 09:48:12 PM »

Be patient though, i don't live on the forums :)

Here is the dd-wrt wiki for linking routers.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

You'll need to read the "client mode" guide, once you can link the units with client mode on the buffalo, you'll need to create a VAP, for wireless clients to connect to, but not worry about that yet, first we need to get them linked in client mode alone, then we can grow from there.