Author Topic: 1.82 version vs newest ddwrt for WZR300  (Read 2789 times)

leggman7

• Calf
1.82 version vs newest ddwrt for WZR300
« on: January 23, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »

I bought the high power router 3 months ago, impressed by the laundry list of features, and support for ddwrt. Unfortunately, the reliability has been poor to say the least. I have needed to restart the router at least weekly, and the torrent client is very poor. Streaming from an attached hard drive to my xbox works alright, except that the drive doesn't stay mounted to my desktop, so I usually just plug the hard drive into my computer and transfer that way (again, suboptimal to say the least). In short, I'm not happy with the router. Before I through it out the nearest window, I thought I would try upgrading it to the newest version, which leads me to my question. Which version, ddwrt or regular, is better? Are either of them better than what I have now? (1.72)

Thanks for your time and help.

buddee

• Big Bull
Re: 1.82 version vs newest ddwrt for WZR300
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 07:09:26 PM »

I can't speak for everyone here, because there is so many mixed results, but with my wzr-hp-g300nh (which i assume is what you have), i really like dd-wrt with it. I have had minimal problems with it so far, i haven't tried the USB function on the unit yet but i will when i get a flash stick to put in it. Either the buffalo branded 14998 dd-wrt, or the un-official wzr dd-wrt builds work both equally well for me. You can reference this for more info, You can always revert back to stock if need be, it has link for it in the wiki link i am to post, but if you use it, be very patient, it took a while for me to revert back using the file.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-G300NH

leggman7

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 11:49:50 PM »

I made the jump and upgraded to ddwrt. It seems to be working great! It seems to be very quick, now it is just a matter of time to see about the reliability. One question I do have for your guys: I enabled upnp, and started playing on xbox live. I saw on the router webpage it said xbox had forwarded some ports, and the connection seemed quite good (was playing cod, did better than usual), with one problem, I couldn't hear or speak to anyone. Any ideas?

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:20:59 AM »

What i had to do with my PS3, is forward certain UDP ports for the voice/vid chat, you may have to search Xbox live site or google to see what ports you may  need to forward and  if its UDP or TCP or even both type forwarding you would need.

Best Regards

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »

Was also going to mention, the first step i did in all of this was setup static ip's using your MAC address's and DHCP, you can assign this in the webgui under Services > DHCP Server, you'll see where you can add static leases, assign static lease to your xbox using its mac address, leave the minutes field blank. When selecting an ip make sure you choose one outside of your DHCP range, like if your dhcp range is 192.168.1.100 - 120, make the static DHCP ip something like 192.168.1.140 and so on. Then in NAT/QoS you can forward what ports you need to where.

leggman7

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 11:25:37 PM »

I ended up using port triggering, which got rid of the need for static ip's. I have since upgraded to dd-wrt and am mostly happy.