Author Topic: WLAE-AG300N and power failures  (Read 2258 times)

arnstein

• Calf
WLAE-AG300N and power failures
« on: January 27, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
This tiny bridge might be just what I am looking for. However, I just read a rather disturbing forum post on another web site. According to one person, this bridge will NOT reboot itself after a power failure. A human (or other animal) must perss its power button to initiate a reboot. Can anyone confirm that this is true? Has Buffalo Tech fixed this problem?

celian

• Calf
Re: WLAE-AG300N and power failures
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:30:25 PM »

I just recieved 2 of these units, to be set up in an urban setting in Western Africa, where power faliures are frequent, and am right now considering wether I can send them straight back..

They're basically useless, as we can't have our network structure being dependant on someone manually walking to these units 3-4 times a day and turning them on..

Why, oh why would anyone ever design the unit like this? - Is there really no firmware update that can fix this?

- Magnus

arnstein

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 06:56:39 PM »
To celian, Since you have two of these bridges now, would you please simulate a power failure and tell us how the thing responds. I don't have one to test with. If you are in northern California, then I will help you to pull out the plug :-).

celian

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 05:38:15 AM »

Hey Arnstein!

Actually I've already run several tests, and they've gone something like this:

1. Plug unit in
2. Turn unit on
3. Wait for Connection to establish.... OK!
4. Pull plug
5. Put plug back in
6. Wait......
7. Fill with deep sense of regret.
8. Go through various stages of greif (I'm currently at bargaining, with buffalotech support)
9. ??

So yes, it's true that upon any kind of power outages, someone needs to manually come and switch the unit back on.. Now why they couldn't have just made it a switch, that could then be flipped to the "on" position and ensured that our network would resume when the power came back on..

UPDATE (Reply from buffalotech support): " I am afraid the unit cannot turn itself on again and must be done manually I am afraid."

- M.

arnstein

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 10:50:18 AM »
Thank you Celian. Your detailed post is exactly what I was looking for. Now I have my eye on a similar bridge WLI-TX4-AG300N, but it is a bit pricy. Possibly obsolete too.

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:56:07 AM »

The WLI TX4-AG300N is not obsolete, it just a plain Ethernet converter. The ones you gents were talking about before could also resend wireless while this one will only convert your wireless signal to wired.