Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH - From 25 Mbps D/L speed to 3 Mbps D/L speed and anything in between  (Read 1367 times)

will_cover

• Calf

Model No. WZR-HP-G300NH

Firmware Version: Firmware: DD-WRT v24SP2-EU-US (08/19/10) std
ISP: EATEL (Pulled from EATEL's web page: The key component to EATEL’s service is its fiber to the home feature, which provides each customer with a dedicated fiber-optic wire, meaning that a customer’s usage will not be affected by others’ level of activity.  Absolutely no slow downs during peak usage times.)
My CPU(s)/Network:  Lenovo T400 laptop - wireless connection, Gateway Desktop - hardwired to router, Sony PS/3 (occasional use on the network), Nintendo Wii (not connected to network), HTC EVO (connected to network, seldom used on the network) and iPhone 3Gs (connected to network, seldom used on the network).

With EATEL, I pay for 25 Mbps download speed and 5 Mbps upload speed.  I always get 5 Mbps upload speed - no issue whatsoever regarding upload speed. 

However, as of late, and there is no rhyme or reason to it, I am not able to get 25 Mbps download speed.  On average, I get 12 Mbps download spped, with 3 Mbps now becoming very common. 

To give you some background, I am a recent user of the Linksys E-3000 router (and still own it - just set aside for right now).  Once I started to notice the fluctuation in speed, I called their technical support.  Their support was of no help and wanted to charge me $49 for 6 months of support, because I was out of my 90 day warranty.  No thanks.  Fast forward and I now own a WZR-HP-300NH router - for about 4 days.

Download speeds with this router are about the same as the E-3000.  Speed fluctuation occurs all the time only on download, not upload speeds. 

I am running the following:

Wireless Mode: AP

Wireless Network Mode: Mixed

Channel Width: Full (20 Mhz)

Wireless Channel: AUTO (however, I have switched channels - no help)

Wireless SSID Name: My network name

Wireless SSID Broadcast: Enable

Advanced Settings: NOT checked

IF I bypass my router altogether and go OUTSIDE to my box on the side of my house with my laptop, I will receive 25 + Mbps download speed all the time - 100 % of the time.  But when I bring back either router, I am subjected to the slower download speeds. 

Any suggestions?  I've called Buffalo's technical support and while better than E-3000, they have not been able to offer any solutions - other than the factory settings and the firmware version that I am running should be suitable for what I am trying to do. 

I can call my ISP to come back out here again (they've been out here twice for this issue when I had my E-3000 - thought it had improved only to find out later that my speeds were still fluctuating), but I don't believe they are at fault.

I can follow along if someone can provide me with suggestions and step-by-step instructions, but I am not able to go at this on my own. 

In advance, thank you for your help and support.

WC