Author Topic: How to configure a usb printer with WZR-HP-G300NH ( running DD-WRT professional firmware)  (Read 11816 times)

venkee

• Calf

Appreciate if anyone provide some guidance on

How to configure a usb lasre/inkjet  printer with WZR-HP-G300NH ( running DD-WRT professional firmware)

Thanks in advance.

Jotin

• Big Bull

Basically how it works is when you plug in the printer to the back of the unit you will be able to access it from \\192.168.11.1 . You'll see a printer icon there and you can connect to it. Through here you can install the post script drivers which you can download from the manufacturer of the printer. Once thats done the printer will be added to your network. 

vientom

• Calf

Very miserable explanation. In http://192.168.11.1/ I am see only "System Information", "Wireless" and "DHCP" paragraphs and there are no any signs of my Canon MF3110 multifunction printer (maybe multifunction devices is not working with this router?).

Post script drivers must be installed to computer with 192.168.11.1 port, right?

Jotin

• Big Bull

Only simple printers will work with this unit. Multifunction printers will not.

shiplet

• Calf

Hi,

For a single printer, it is quite simple now.

Go to your router, choose "Services" tab and then choose "USB" tab.

Enable all the USB support items, all the way through the "USB printer support".

If you are not trying to simultaneously connect usb disk through usb hub,  you don't have

to enable that one. Then "Save", "Apply Settings". And maybe reboot the router in "Administration".

That is it.

Now setup the printer on you computers. I am on linux, so I choose AppSocket/JetDirect protocol in cups and specify the URL:

socket://192.168.11.1:9100

For other operating systems, instructions for setting up printers are here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Printer_Sharing#Workstation_setup

Just in case -- if you are on Windows, do not try to set up network printer, setup the local printer and create a new port along the way. 

There are detailed instructions on the page I linked, but I do not think they are needed anymore, at least with a simple one printer setup.

It is possible to connect 2 or 3 printers through USB hub. A simple way that I used was just to specify startup commands (in Administration/Commands):

p910nd -b -f /dev/lp0 0 -t 5

p910nd -b -f /dev/lp1 1 -t 5

The port for the second printer must be 9101. I had to figure out through trial and error which printer is associated with wich port.

(I do not know how to make sure that the same port is always used with the same printer if, for example, router is rebooted when printers are off and they are tured on in a random order later. I may post a separate question about this later unless someone replies to my comment.)

Looking at the dd-wrt forums it should be possible to connect multifunction devices, but since I do not have anything else to connect right now, I have not looked carefully.

Yuri

vientom

• Calf

Thanks for instructions, but they not working with my Canon MF3110 multifunction device. Anywere in router configuration I must see any signs of presence of my multifunction printer?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP

vientom wrote:

Thanks for instructions, but they not working with my Canon MF3110 multifunction device. Anywere in router configuration I must see any signs of presence of my multifunction printer?

Try reading Jotin's post again!!  

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

johnmac1952

• Calf

Worked like a charm with my HP 2170 PSC printer using my G450H and the latest DD-WRT firmware. Thanks for the detailed instructions!!!!!

n0ticer

• Calf

hi, 

thread is too old, but im new with dd-wrt so please bear with me. anyway using this setting courtesy of shiplet:

It is possible to connect 2 or 3 printers through USB hub. A simple way that I used was just to specify startup commands (in Administration/Commands):

p910nd -b -f /dev/lp0 0 -t 5

p910nd -b -f /dev/lp1 1 -t 5

this works well out of the box with my WZR-HP-AG300H. but when i turn off then turn on my printers, i would also need to restart the router so i can print again. can someone provide me with a hotplug script to make the router aware of printer's status change during plugging or removal and run commands upon that. hoping for your kind assistance. thanks in advanced.

Adrian

n0ticer

• Calf

*bump*

any hotplug script for buffalo-based router? im using 3 printers, and i've seen some scripts but doesn't apply to WZR-HP-AG300H.