Author Topic: WLAE-AG300N Pausing Every Few Seconds When Streaming Video  (Read 1468 times)

WLANman

• Calf
WLAE-AG300N Pausing Every Few Seconds When Streaming Video
« on: December 15, 2010, 08:24:06 PM »

Hey Everyone,

I'm using a WLAE-AG300N as a Wireless G Access Point attached to my wired Gigabit LAN.  I'm doing this so that my PS3 can connect wirelessly to my wired desktop PC.  This is needed to allow access to the TVersity Media Server running on my PC so that I can stream high-def movies to my PS3.  I have gone through all the WLAE-AG300N settings and manually configured everything correctly VIA the web admin interface.

The first problem I had was that the WLAE-AG300N had to be placed within 10 feet of the PS3 in order to get a signal strength that would allow for any throughput over 6Mbps.  I tested this with 2 laptops and the PS3 and had the same results.  PS3 is now at 100% signal strength and throughput is pretty good.  About 15 Mbps out over the internet using a 45Mbps fiber connection.  Throughput on the gigabit LAN is between 20 and 25 Mbps.

The main problem I'm dealing with now is that when watching streaming media from the TVersity server to the PS3, the movies are pausing every few seconds. Monitoring of the streaming bit-rate on the PS3 shows shows anywhere from 2Mbps up to 33Mbps depending on the quality of the movies and the amount of action on the screen.  I first noticed this pausing issue at bit rates as low as 2Mbps when the signal strength was somewhat weak at 70%.  Signal strength is now at 100% and the pausing starts to occur pretty much anytime the bitrate goes above 15Mbps.

Should the WLAE-AG300N be able to keep up with streaming bit-rate above 15Mbps?

Should the WLAE-AG300N be able to maintain continuous throughput all the way up to the 54Mbps Wireless-G Limit when the signal strength is pinned at 100%?

I'm wondering if whatever kind of processor and memory combination in the WLAE-AG300N can handle these speeds reliably.

Please note that the PS3 when moved to a location where it can be plugged into the wired gigabit LAN runs all of the content from the TVersity Media Server flawlessly.  Also, there is no other traffic on the wired LAN while testing and there are no other devices connected to the WLAE-AG300N.

If anyone has any ideas as to what might be the root cause of the pausing issue, I would be very happy to hear from you.

Hopefully someone from Buffalo Tech Support will share their insight as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read my long A$$ post. : )  I greatly appreciate the help.

Best Regards,

Rich