Author Topic: WHR-G300N as an wireless Access Point via a wired link to another router ?  (Read 2354 times)

justvistin

• Calf

Hi,

I've been asked by a friend to resolve some wireless access issues they are having at home.  Their property is a converted barn with very thick stone walls.   In addition, some of the 'rooms' are in seperate buildings connected by short enclosed walkways (around 2-3m).

They have an existing 54g wireless router that connects to their ADSL line, but the range of the wireless router is severely limited due to the construction of the property.  The speed of the ADSL line is fairly low (around 1Mb) as they are quite far from their local exchange.  I'm aware that swapping the existing router for an 'N router' should extend the wireless range, but even then, I don't think all areas of the property would be covered.

In order to keep things simple, I am currently planning to leave their existing router in situ and run an RJ-45 cable to the remote building where wireless connectivity is required.  The building only has 2 rooms (their son and daughter's bedroom).  On the end of the wired link I am planning to connect a WHR-G300N to act as a Wireless Access Point.

I've reviewed the manual for the WHR-G300N and can see that it can act as a Wireless AP using WDS, but there doesn't appear to be much detail on using the device as an AP with a wired link back to a central 3rd party router. I would like the central 'G' router to remain as the DHCP server on the network and would like allow the wireless clients to roam between the 2 wireless routers.  I assume that I would need to configure the same SSID and encryption keys on the 2 routers for roaming to work and may also need to tweak to channels in use to avoid interference between the 2 wireless routers.

If I set the WHR-G300N to act as an AP via the external switch and connect the LAN port on the WHR-G300N to a LAN port on the G router, then is this all I need to do (assuming that the SSID info etc has been set) ?  The manual advises that the IP of the WHR-G300N will change when it is set to act as an AP, and I'm aware that I may need to adjust this after to fit in with the existing IP subnet in use on the LAN.
Ideally, I would like the new wireless cleints in the remote building to connect via the WHR-G300N (acting as AP), obtain an IP address from within the current subnet in use via the DHCP server on the G router and hopefully, that would be that.  I'm assuming that  once this is setup I should see 3 new devices on the LAN - the WHR-G300N  itself and also the 2 'new' wirless PC clients, accessing the LAN via the WHR-G300N,  but receiving an IP from the WHR-G300N ?

I may be overcomplicating this, but I can't quite work out what default gateway the wireless PC's in the remote bedrooms would receive under the proposed setup?  The IP of the WHR-G300N AP or the IP of the exisgting G router ? Any answers, suggestions or corrections appreciated.

Thanks.  

drmemory

• Big Bull

*bump*

Aveyer

• Big Bull

Yes it will work no problem, just run the cable like you said and plug in the WHR-G300N, put the WHR-G300N in bridge mode and all the routing, DNS and DHCP will be managed by the central G router.

You don't need WDS for this at all but just be warned if you ever want to use it in future only the WHR-G300N V2 model supports WDS and only with other Buffalo N routers.

svm

• Calf
Re: WHR-G300N as an wireless Access Point via a wired link to another router ?
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 10:36:54 AM »

Same question, but can the link between Airstation and the existing router be wireless? How do I set up?