Author Topic: Wired throughput peaks at 2.5Mbps on WZR-HP-G300NH  (Read 1723 times)

crgutier

• Calf
Wired throughput peaks at 2.5Mbps on WZR-HP-G300NH
« on: November 25, 2010, 03:53:09 AM »

Hi,

Just unpacked my new WZR-HP-G300NH today.  Tested it with default settings on the 1.76 firmware(*) and I get 2.5 up / ~0.5 down Mbps from my 22/8 Mbps Business Comcast connection.  If I plug my laptop to the SMC SMCD3G-CCR gateway, I get the full 22/8 experience.

I tried:

- disabling wireless radio

- cross-testing cables

- different router ports

- forcing 100Mbps on the SMC ports

- enabling/disabling QoS, WDS, Multicast snooping

- putting my laptop on the DMZ

... to no avail

I also tried the Movie Engine switch,  Interestingly, it seems to get the upload stream up to ~2.3 Mbps, which is an improvement but obviously not a lot.

I went to plug in my USB HDD (WD MyPassport 250G) but it wasn't recognized and it started making a ticking noise so I unplugged it.  Couldn't test LAN wired speed.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing?  Or should I be sending this back to Amazon for a replacement?

FTR, the admin UI currently shows "WZR-HP-G300NH Ver.1.76 (R2.01/B1.07)".

Thanks,

Cristian

(*) It came originally with the DD-WRT "Professional" firmware but connections where black-holed after a couple seconds, and even pinging the modem while opening its configuration page (all this through the Nfinity) resulted in 30-50% packet loss.  The flash to 1.76 fixed this particular issue.

crgutier

• Calf
SOLVED - Re: Wired throughput peaks at 2.5Mbps on WZR-HP-G300NH
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 12:18:18 AM »

Turned out that the WAN connection was always half-duplex.  Had to mess around a bit more with the SMC modem/router port config until I could get a full-duplex link.  In this case, only specifying 1000Mbps did the trick (initially I thought that if 100Mbps only got me half duplex, I had to go down to 10Mbps to fix that).