Author Topic: 2 WHR-HP-G54 running in WDS. 2nd unit only has about 1/10th the bandwidth???  (Read 2830 times)

Redgtxdi

• Calf

So I set up a couple of these in WDS.  They definitely work, but disappointingly the 2nd one only gets about 1/10th the upload/download speed of the 1st one.

1st one speedtest is 20Mbps down & 2Mbps up

2nd one speedtest is 1.5Mbps down & .5 up

I know the 2nd router is supposed to lose about half the speed.....but 80-90%??  Geeez Loueeez.

Any ideas??

TIA

PCPiranha

• Big Bull

Try different wireless channels.

Redgtxdi

• Calf

Well, I actually thought about that, though I'll still try it.  However......this is in a pretty rural area so definitely not much (if any) interference going on.

They're currently running on channel 6, so channels 3 & 11 are the only other legitimate channels to try, correct?

Redgtxdi

• Calf

Well, it looks like it was more about proximity between the 2 routers.  I moved to a new location (despite a female voice in my ear screaming opposition) and I was able to go from 1/0.5 to 3.5/1.0 which will be much better for potential VOIP use in that remote area.

Channels didn't seem to matter much and ultimately I ended up back at channel 6 again.  It seemed to consistently have best results so I'm just gonna stick with 6 for now.

So if your WDS setup is losing too much bandwidth at the 2nd router, try putting the routers closer together if possible & test to see if that's the issue.

:smileywink: