Author Topic: Upgrading 2 Terastations, few questions (I searched already I swear!)  (Read 2363 times)

ppettipiece

• Calf

Hello all,

I work for a portrat company and we have the Terastation Hd-H1.0T GL/R5 Firmware:1.12 & Terastation Pro TS-H2.0T GL/R5 Firmware:1.26. These devices are in an always on condition in our server room and previously both were used as live data instead of backup. We are going to be using them as Backups now and I would greatly appreciate a few questions answered. I did search and read through the manuals/setup guides but read conflicting information. Both are set up as Raid 5 with the stock drives it came with.

For each, what is the maximum drive capacity and each drive capacity? I understand it as the Pro is maxed out at 2tb with 500gb drives & the Terastation for some reason can hold 4tb with 1tb drives using a newer firmware.

We would like to keep the data on there but wiping it isn't much of a problem just a time thing. What issues go along with upgrading drives and firmware and which firmware should be used for each?

Thanks very much for your time.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Upgrading 2 Terastations, few questions (I searched already I swear!)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:42:01 PM »

We would need the exact model numbers for your units. Thanks

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 05:31:50 AM »

Jotin wrote:

We would need the exact model numbers for your units. Thanks

FFS Jotin, read the message he posted before posting a worthless question!

EDIT: The TS-HTGL has been tested up to 8TB (4 x 2TB disks)

The HD-TGL has only been tested upto 1.6TB (4 x 400GB disks) <-- may need clarification on this one.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

ppettipiece

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 10:24:22 AM »

The models are as davo said

TS-HTGL - Stock Raid 5 with 4x500gb

HD-TGL - Stock Raid 5 with 4x250gb

I'd like to max out each so if anyone knows what the max capacity is I'd appreciate it. Also how to upgrade the firmware and perhaps which order to go about upgrading the drives. I know these things can be very finicky. Thanks for the help guys.

ppettipiece

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 01:09:14 PM »

Hello again, guess no one knows for sure the exact limitations of both these devices. I appreciate the input thus far. We're going to try the drives we have in each device, could anyone give me a quick list of the order in how to upgrade firmware and disks? Such as:

backup settings

download and apply firmware before disk swapping

swap one disk, then rest

Something to that affect. Really appreciate it, just don't want to wreck a currently "working" setup for a broken one. Thanks.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 03:58:26 PM »

HD-TGL will work with up to 500 GB drives. Those units are more temperamental as far as upgrading goes, you're best bet is to replace one drive at a time, restructuring the array between each replacement, until all four have been upgraded. Then, delete the raid, and create a new raid array. This SHOULD give you the ~1.4 TB capacity of 4 500 GB drives in RAID 5.... but as I'm sure you've noticed, upgrading drives is not supported... if it doesn't work, you're on your own.

TS-HTGL supports up to 2 TB drives. The best way to upgrade those drives is to replace all four at once, run the TFTP Boot Recovery, and a firmware update. Again, this is not supported, but I've seen it work in multiple cases.