Author Topic: WCR-GN internet connection issues with iPhone 4  (Read 5541 times)

ddwibb

• Calf
WCR-GN internet connection issues with iPhone 4
« on: November 12, 2010, 11:42:59 PM »

WCR-GN

Ver.1.03(R4.15/B1.13)

Verizon DSL

The little WCR-GN has performed perfectly with all the wireless equipment in my home except my iPhone 4. For some reason the iPhone won't stay connect to the internet through the WCR-GN. After a few minutes of use the iPhone behaves as if the internet is down. It's connected to the router, but there's no internet. Everything else connected to the router has no problem. I have to go to the iPhone, disable wifi, and reenable it again to get back online.

I actually bought two of these routers. The other one is for my brother, and he has the exact same problem with his iPhone4 at his house. He's on Comcast.

ddwibb

• Calf
Re: WCR-GN internet connection issues with iPhone 4
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 03:41:49 AM »

This forum has been useless. If there's some settings that will correct this problem I have yet to find it. Will return the product as defective.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 08:29:36 AM »

and you dont think that maybe its an issue with your iphones? You say yourself everything else works fine.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 10:38:22 AM »

We are investigating your reported issue with the iphone and are trying to reproduce it. Please supply as many details as possible, in order for us to exactly reproduce the issue in our lab.

ddwibb

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 02:12:51 AM »

I don't know what details you are looking for, but I played with the iPhone a bit when the problem occurs, and noticed the iPhone's browser can't log on to the router. Can't find find the router's login page, and can't find the internet even though eveything else can connect to the internet through the router. And yet the iPhone thinks it's still connected to the router.

The problem doesn't seem to be related to sleeping/waking the iPhone. The internet connection often disappears while activly using apps connecting to the internet. Twitter, Facebook, Email ect.

mntbighker

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 02:26:41 PM »

My Android DroidX refuses to connect to my WZR-HP-G300NH as well. It just keeps saying it's getting an IP address. I tried turning off channel switching but no joy there either.

macca

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 11:24:19 AM »

I hope I am not confusing the issue but I am also having problems with my WZR-HP-G300H and two iPhones (3G and 3GS). They connect just fine and can access the Internet but after several minutes they can no longer connect. The wifi connection symbol is still there on both phones but they appear to have no connection. If I turn off wifi and turn it on again then the phones re-connect just fine. Seems like the connection just goes to sleep if I don't use it for a few minutes. I have not measured how many minutes before the connection goes to sleep so when I say a few minutes it could easily be 15 or 20 minutes.

The problem does not occur at my office where we use Sonicwall wireless access points, nor with my previous Linksys wireless routers.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »

macca wrote:

I hope I am not confusing the issue but I am also having problems with my WZR-HP-G300H and two iPhones (3G and 3GS). They connect just fine and can access the Internet but after several minutes they can no longer connect. The wifi connection symbol is still there on both phones but they appear to have no connection. If I turn off wifi and turn it on again then the phones re-connect just fine. Seems like the connection just goes to sleep if I don't use it for a few minutes. I have not measured how many minutes before the connection goes to sleep so when I say a few minutes it could easily be 15 or 20 minutes.

The problem does not occur at my office where we use Sonicwall wireless access points, nor with my previous Linksys wireless routers.

Change the wireless channel on the router.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

fskrotzki

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 03:29:22 PM »

Having same problem with WCR-GN.

Just purchased the unit a week ago.  Upgraded firmware to latest on first day and configured it as a access point as I have a very complex Linux firewall protecting several different servers doing many different things, Several web servers, dhvp server, etc..

Seems to be a problem tied to mixing devices that can do G and N wireless protocols.  If all the devices are one or the other then things work just fine.  But when more then one protocol starts working at the same time things slow down, etc.  If I use my Notebook and 3gs no problems at all.  If we connect both iPod touch 4's no problem but mix 3Gs and iPod touch 4 or notebook and iPod touch 4 and one or both devices suddenly we have issues.  Internet connections suddenly go away or slow to beyound a crawl.  Apple products complain they can't contact the internet.  Go to settings screen and watch the network and it will suddenly say there is not a IP if you want a minute or two with something downloading in the background many times.

FYI also have a nook and it complains when we start mixing protocols...  If there was a way to disable N via the interface I'd try that to see if the problem goes away but there is not a option.  Yes defeats the purpose of purchasing a B/G/N router/access point but I'd be willing to try it as a test...

FYI: it is NOT a channel issue, the only other wireless device anywere within a quarter mile is on Channel 11 and I'm using 1.

Yes iPhone/iPod's will drop IP and transmision within seconds of sleeping and re-connect when woken.  That seems to be a part of the issue.  Older D-Link never had issues (granted it only did B and G, no 802.11N which the iPod Touch can do according to your client monitor screen).  If I could go back to the D=Link I would at this point BUT it died so purchased this as it was on special.

ddwibb

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 05:30:05 PM »

Thanks fskrotzki for the most insightful explaination yet on this issue. Don't wait for help from buffalo like I did. It's just a delaying tactic. I waited too long to return my routers to Amazon. (30 day policy), and buffalo's warranty only covers repairs and replacment, no refunds. Return your unit now before it's too late.

ddwibb

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 07:21:24 PM »

drmemory, What was the result of your investigation of my reported issue?

wrexhamafc

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 06:10:02 AM »

I have exactly the same problem with an iPad, it sees the WCR-GN, connects, but does not allow internet traffic at all.

lorddarthpaul

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 07:43:54 PM »

A great little router, but if I find another inexpensive one (that actually works), it will get replaced.  Updated to latest firmware hoping it would solve these iPhone hangs.  It doesn't.  Not just the iPhone either.  Hangs with various laptops, including the latest Apple Macbook Pros.  I simply unplug the power cable from the WCR-GN, replug and in 30 seconds it works fine again (for a while).  Then it gets hung up and won't respond to any wireless devices (well, none of the ones I have).  No problems with all of the same devices on a network with either Airport Express (Apple) or D-Link or Netgear wireless.  Not sure what the WCR-GN's problem is, but you just set up a [very simple] WPA2/AES wireless network, have it converse with an iPhone for a while, and at some point, they'll just stop talking to each other.  It's the router, as every other one I've used (home, work, friends) does not have this problem.  This should be a simple one for Buffalo to solve.  Really ruins their reputation (meaning I wont buy any of their other products at this point, figuring that if they have problems, they won't get fixed either).  Too bad, because they've been one of the more innovative companies.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 10:37:17 AM »

is everyone using the 1.04 FW version for their WCR-GN?

mlallen

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 07:31:29 PM »

Having the same issue.  Iphone3g, Phone 4 and ipad 2.  Laptops don't seem to have issues once online, but the apple products have constant issues.  I'm running Ver.1.76 (R2.01/B1.07)