Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH WiFi Speed problem  (Read 4343 times)

Fakamaz

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH WiFi Speed problem
« on: November 04, 2010, 08:52:29 AM »

Hi,

I have a WZR-HP-G300NH and recently I have updated my traffic plan with ISP for 60-120Mbit one (day/night speed). Yet, when a new modem was installed none of the computers connected by WiFi are able to get something even close to 60Mbit... What's strange is that when I test the speed using http://www.speedtest.net/ the speed varies from 9Mbit to 18Mbit tops. Yet, if to connect a computer directly to the modem using a cable I'll get something around 40+Mbit most of the time, yet the speed will also float from 40 to 100Mbits. So here are the details:

Router: WZR-HP-G300NH

Firmware: Ver.1.74

Internet: Cable

Modem: Cisco EPC3212

Connections: 2

1 connection - notebook, HP Pavilion DV2, WiFi N card

2 connection - general stationary PC with WiFi G card.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1016867986.png - here is a current speed result using WiFi on the notebook, but if to run it again in 5 mins it showed this - http://www.speedtest.net/result/1016877584.png

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Fakamaz

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH WiFi Speed problem
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:19:21 AM »

Ok, apprently I solved the problem by changing from TKIP to AES. Now the result are between this: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1016909451.png and this http://www.speedtest.net/result/1016910322.png. Still it's a bit strange that the speed is jumpig so greatly...

DBogan

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 05:55:16 PM »

TKIP decreases up to 20% just an FYI. If this is a cable connection there are a lot that goes into your speed, before it even gets to your house. Most cable companies issue a "lot" speed to a neighborhood. So if the load in your area is high that will affect it. Having a higher level plan ups your modem mac address on the allotment table but it will still take a hit. 

Best way to test your connection is a 3 step process.

Test direct connection to modem. A lot of ISPs have there own test site. here in lasvegas COX has test.lvcm.com im sure yours has there own. Call and ask for it. Get the speed with direct connect. Then get a test using the LAN connect, then do it with WLAN. Remember the more items you run it through the more loss you will receive along with distance from the router.

Example:

Direct Connection is Modem -> Net Card -> Browser
LAN Connection is Modem -> Router -> Net Card -> Browser

WLAN Connection is Modem -> Router -> Wifi Card -> Browser

Each has its own data loss rate. You will always get the lowest speed on WLAN and fastest Directly connected.

DBogan

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 05:58:43 PM »

Another way to get max speed at all times is to add the companies phone plan on it. Usually this requires a better modem and they also don't throttle back the connection so that your call quality is high. They wont tell you this directly but i have a friend who works for COX and he told me directly. I added the phone and saw a 10-20% increase in speed just during the daytime

Fakamaz

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 01:56:04 AM »

Well, it's actually with a phone plan. The new modem looks also OK (It's Cisco anyway). Direct connection to the modem gives maximum speed, yet since there is only one LAN port in the modem I can't skip the router part. Nevertheless, right now I was able to get 60Mbit speed by connecting notebook wiresly and PC by wire. What's interesting thought - when PC was connected wiresly the speed was not more than 18Mbit (yes, it's a G type connection, nevertheless G should technically boost speed up to 54Mbit...). That's why I ended up connecting PC using wire. Also if to try to download something from rapidshare the actual speed will jump all the time. It's never even close it it's maximum side - rather than jumping from 10 to 50 Mbit. And I have no idea if this is a router or modem problem... What I can say for sure - previous modem (10Mbit) was always giving it's maximum all the time.

Fakamaz

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 01:58:21 AM »

>Each has its own data loss rate. You will always get the lowest speed on WLAN and fastest Directly connected.

Ok, but what's the point of having N type Wireless router/card anyway if you never get fast connection on Wifi? It's a bit strange to say the least...

Fakamaz

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »

Hi again,

I noticed another problem - the PC which is connected by wire to the router is not able to connect to Internet every second time. And I have to re-start it to get it working. Interesting this is - it could even tell "Internet access" yet none of the pages are opening....

Fakamaz

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 01:49:22 PM »

Hi All,

Any idea why with the AOSS mode ON, actual internet speed is low? 1/4 of the actual speed.

Fakamaz

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 05:41:40 AM »

Many thanks for your replies for the last question, they were most helpfull. Isn't it why the forums were created for initially? *)

CapnSmith

• Buffalo
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 04:30:59 PM »

The AOSS feature randomizes the encryption and SSID of the wireless network, using a mixed TKIP/AES encryption method.  That may be what is causing your speed loss.  Turn off AOSS, and use AES encryption to resolve this.

To address your PC not being able to connect to the internet, log into the web interface of your router and verify that the Internet/LAN option->Method of Acquiring IP address is set to "Acquire an IP address from a DHCP server" not "Perform Easy Setup."  This is, of course, only if you are using the User Friendly firmware.

If you are using the Buffalo branded DD-WRT firmware, you'll log into the web interface and verify that the WAN Connection type is set to "Automatic - via DHCP."