Author Topic: Pro Duo thunking sound  (Read 4553 times)

jimclara

• Calf
Pro Duo thunking sound
« on: October 02, 2008, 10:44:34 AM »

I just purchased a linkstation pro duo 2 TB. Is it normal for it to make a regular thunk sound about 7 times a minute? I'm afraid to start using it--never owning a storage device that made this kind of noise. Doesn't sound like a fan. 

Thanks,

--Jim 

Mengsk

• Calf
Re: Pro Duo thunking sound
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 02:58:29 PM »

I was also very reluctant to copy any of my data to this device at first but as long as you're mirroring you should be fine. I have two of the 1tb devices.  Each time they made any abnormal noise it was a hard drive failing. Buffalo uses cheapo Samsung drives in the linkstations. I have had three drives fail on my linkstations in the last two months.  I am replacinmg them with Western digitals as they fail. Set your device up to email you if it has any issues. If there is a problem with any of the drives you'll start getting emails telling you which drive it is. If it is a drive issue, you can try to deal with Buffalo's RMA process (good luck) or simply just buy your own equipment and replace it yourself like I do.  Because the Pro Duo has an exposed power supply within the unit, Buffalo cannot send you replacement drives. You'll need to either send the entire unit back to them for repair or do an advanced RMA on the unit where they take a 650.00 hold on your credit card and send you a refurbished unit.  They also make you pay for the shipping to and from your house for the exchange. Hope everything works out for you. They are descent devices once you get past all the inital hurdles. 

Mengsk

jimclara

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 12:18:25 PM »
   Thank you Mengsk for your reply and suggestions. I have changed the raid to mirror and set up my email. Now that I'm starting the back-up I can say for certain it's a writing sound. I put a towel under it to dampen the noise. 

kamil

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 01:47:42 AM »

hi,

do the HDDs works as fine ?

ich bought a linkstation yesterday and I am supriesed about the thunking sound.

its a short noise every 5  to 15 seconds also when I do not access the the linkstation.

there are western digital HDDs installed.

is it normal ?

best regards